SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
titian1

Falling into Spring

I know some of you in the colder parts have a bit to go yet, but Spring, officially at least, has arrived in the Northern hemisphere, and I know how very welcome that is for most of you.

I can't come up with anything witty or wise on my own, so I googled Spring quotes, and came across this:

'Never cut a tree down in the Winter. Never make a negative decision in the low time. Never make your most important decisions when you are in your worst moods. Wait. Be patient. The storm will pass. The Spring will come.'

Robert H. Schuller

I apologize to all of you who are familiar with it, but it's new to me, and something I wish I'd heard earlier in my life.

Looking forward to wonderful photos from you all.

Trish

William R. Smith and Etoile de Lyon

Comments (2K)

• Kelly Tregaskis Collova
    6 years ago

So mine is Alnwick. Here is my Abe.

If yours is twiggy, Diane, what would you call this? Cheap bagged manure damage....

titian1 10b Sydney thanked Kelly Tregaskis Collova
  • User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Here's a picture of the Dbl Knockout for Jim. Those are such a trooper. Winter hardy and disease resistant. You can see on the right my new green tomatoes support to blend in with the other plants.

more Strawberries with Heritage in the back and Champlain by the bird bath. Thank you Paul Gautschi. You've been so good to me.

titian1 10b Sydney thanked User
  • Related Discussions

Fall or Spring for Planting?

Q

Comments (4)
    Most (60% of the annual total) elongation of existing roots occurs in fall after the top stops growing - fall in this context is when the winter stem buds have been set and are generating hormones that prompt the root tips to elongate. So on a drought stressed Vine Maple in a Seattle summer this could be happening in July or August. In addition to having the correct specific timing for each specimen being planted taking advantage of the annual fall root growth push depends on not having to correct deformed roots at planting. This root deformity issue is something that may be nearly impossible to avoid with all but dormant bare-rooted stock being planted at end of winter. Because deformed roots are nearly universal among container grown woody plants. As far as plant growth cycles etc. are concerned spring is actually a lousy time to plant winter hardy woody plants. However since new roots will grow from cut root ends in spring as long as the industry keeps routinely producing and dispersing finished stock with deformed roots spring may remain the preferred time. The selection at local (walk in) outlets at least is also the biggest by far during that season.
    ...See More

Fall or Spring Orders?

Q

Comments (11)
    I am ordering a lot of roses but Geoff, from cool roses, talk to me. It is up to me but he will be coming in March to Orlando at Leu Gardens. He will bring all David Austin and whatever I ordered. No shipping. That gives me more time to plan my backyard and more roses to order. Being patience is so hard feel like I can't get my X'mas gifts on 25...lol The more I read from forums about roses, my list is getting longer and longer. I went to leu gardens believe it or not I was so excited to visit rose garden. I smell blue girl ( omg it smells awesome), Madam Lambard, Beverly, and Nur Mahal. I am getting all of them. I wish they had more roses but they got git hard from hurricanes. Are old garden roses hard to grow ? I am so interested in them and of course DA Getting them all in fortunia stock and DA roses I can't get will come from TX of course. Below are few pics I took at Leu' s. Anyone knows what rose is paint on tiles. Thank you. Jin today, tomorrow and yesterday
    ...See More

Fall Planting, Spring Mulching

Q

Comments (4)
    and keep in mind.. they are forcing their way thru the soil.. long before they get to your fluffy mulch .... it should be easy peasy by that time ... hav to do it fluff it a bit.. to allow stuff the grow thru it ... how course is it... etc ... but generally ... it shouldnt be a problem ... presuming you skip landscape cloth and/or cardboard and paper stuff .. and keep in mind.. they are forcfing their way thru the soil.. long before they get to your fluffy mulch .... it should be easy peasy by that time ... now.. all that said ... are you absolutely sure.. you can get the mulch early enough to easily put it on your beds in early spring.. before the weeds start??? .... BEFORE they all pop up.. an easy mulching job can become a PIA once everything is already up in spring ..... especially if that rug rat decides they are the center of your universe when you should be outside ... as a former stay at home dad.. trust me.. kids have set aside a lot of good garden intentions ... anyway... for me in MI ... when mulch is available ... either late fall.. or early spring.. can be problematic ... so make sure you have a handle on that variable ... the best plan.. might be to get the mulch now ... cover with a tarp ... and have it ready ... and i highly recommend.. just mulching after you plant them.. and be done with it this fall ... this way.. if fall fails.. you always have the spring option ... ken
    ...See More

fall vs spring for first tiem mulch & soil refresh?

Q

Comments (7)
    More advantages of using shredded fall leaves as mulch: They are free Mix with some used coffee grounds from you local Starbucks and you have created earthworm heaven. Mulch generously and you will allow them to stay closer to the surface during the winter. Weeding in the spring will be a snap. By the time you plant tomatoes, peppers and beans most of it will have turned to compost. So much so that by mid to late June you will need to re-mulch to keep your beds cool, moist, and weed-free.
    ...See More
  • jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    6 years ago

Thanks Sam! Great pics... Yum on those strawberries! :-)

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    6 years ago

I'm trying to deadhead today but it's so hot and humid I have to keep coming in for another popsicle. Humidity is something new here.

Samuel, I'm looking forward to seeing a pic of your brother's rose that looks like mine. Does he know what it is? Some of the folks on the antique forum thought mine might be Banshee, but all agreed on Martin Frobisher. I can only imagine all the networking going on in the soil that we can't see and how everything is connected and working together. I think it's a miracle that this delicate looking old rose is growing in hard clay. Actually, when I look at all the color and green out there now, compared to how bleak it was just a few months ago, that is a miracle, too.

lavender, I almost picked up a Fredric Mistral at Northland last week, but then I remembered, we don't like him this year. Hope yours does well for you.

Kelly, unfortunately, Erinnerung doesn't rebloom. I wish it did. The fragrance is strong old rose and I have to stop to smell it every time I pass. It's a climber but I am growing it as a shrub, wrapped around a short obelisk.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Kelly, how about Runt Derby?! He and Twig can have a race.

So many posts and photos in the last 24 hours!

Diane, those purple poppies are glorious, and paired with that bright yellow, are an eyeful. Hope they cheered you up Holly. I know that sort of humidity where the sheets stick to you when you try to turn over, and it's horrible. I do hope getting your rose pots lifts your spirits. A trip on the PPB is definitely in order. How about it, Jim? I'm sure you'd like to get away from all that rain for a while.

Jim, so disappointing for you, to have all those spoiled blooms.

Rosie and Trigger are making it very hard to write this, as it's nearly their breakfast time. Trigger is pressing himself hard against me, and Rosie is alternately playfighting with him, standing on me or standing on my laptop. I'd best go and come back later!

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Trish, I definitely know the wonderful Rosie, but guessing that Trigger is a cat? Keep thinking of Roy Rogers though (young folks won't know this reference but Trigger is a famous movie star horse)! But you did say that you are a major animal lover so perhaps any size will do in your house, LOL!

Still don't know what the problem with Fred is, do tell! They're out there, they have pink little blooms, the scent is OK. What is he getting ready to do to annoy me?

titian1 10b Sydney thanked lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Humm popsicle's I have not had one in a long time hummm...Maybe time for a trip to the store...lol

Yes all the ruined blooms is disappointing but I'm trying not to worry about it to much...Here's to better days ahead! :-)

Humm maybe popsicle's & strawberries...:-) lol

titian1 10b Sydney thanked jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
  • User
    6 years ago

There's a lot of ways to tie the tomatoes. Here's a string tied from the Shepard hook. I just wind the tomatoes up the string. I saw it in a green house with string from the ceiling. So easy.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    6 years ago

LL, Trigger is a dog, too, and one of the dogs is Trish's son's. I hope I'm right on that. I can't believe you haven't had ice cream in 30 years!!!! I have it nearly every night. I haven't had a popsicle in years, though. Hmmm.....Frederic Mistral is a wonderful rose that really likes heat, but is fairly cold sensitive, probably cane hardy to zone 7. Last year we had a long, cold winter, and Fred is on his last legs. As nature would have it, as I pronounced his death sentence, three nice new red growths have popped up in the last 24 hours. I still haven't removed PAoK. Now I am tortured by Fred. The guilt. The guilt. Sad to say, I came up with name Twig Darby when he arrived leafless and small at my house. I was totally shocked, but now he's going great guns, and Sheila was right. His buds are about to pop open.

Kelly, what happened to your Abe? You mentioned manure. Did you apply too much, do you think? I haven't given anything to my Abe at this point, but he did get some good compost in the planting soil.

Samuel, I think we need to tour your place, and see the beautiful roses, tomato plants, and strawberries. I've given up on strawberries out here. The voracious quail won't leave them alone.

Thanks, Trish, I think you could grow some poppies easily. Maybe put the seeds in the fridge for a couple of weeks before tossing them gaily with abandon.

Flowers, I wish my Tamora looked that good. Very lovely. Diane

• titian1 10b Sydney
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, Diane and ll, Trigger is my son's dog. He lives here. A horse pressing hard against me. Not sure if I could have survived that! I did watch the Lone Ranger as a child. Loved it. Trigs's weight is bad enough. He's a not so little nugget.

flowers, it's so nice to see more of your plants. Martin Frobisher is a sweet looking rose. Good on him for digging himself in to that rock hard clay. I know what that stuff's like. I planted some tubestock hebe on the road verge, and I had to bash the ground with the point of the trowel to get them in. Amazingly they survived, and are now 3' tall.

Sam, what a simple and ingenious way of tying up tomatoes. I hadn't heard of 'Back to Eden' before. I'll look it up. Your roses look great, and I'm curious to see why.

Carol, I love that your garden buzzes with bees. Have you noticed any lessening in the number? I have a lot of plants the bees like, but I didn't see as many bees in the last couple of years.

• titian1 10b Sydney thanked User
  • titian1 10b Sydney
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, Sam.

6 years ago

Thanks Sam! Good link...

I got to get our 2 tomato plants tied up... I usually use that thick soft clothes line... Ran out have to get some more...

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Also loved Jasmine's hedge, Jim's computer riding cat, Sam and Mustbs great links, enjoyed Holly's update, and so many others. ..

Is it just me or is anybody else struggling to keep up with this thread? I promise that I've enjoyed EVERYBODY'S posts, and usually have a comment in my head, but then forget it by the time I get down to the end to comment!

Some of you must think that I'm terribly rude, apologies in advance. But you too will be old and forgetful one day in spite of the best intentions!

Plus, it's boiling hot here, the heat index is still 100 at 10 PM quite often. These moonlight gardening adventures aren't as refreshing as one could hope.

6 years ago

Well, It has cooled down here, low 50s in the evening, 70s during the days. Won't be long before we're back up in the 90s though. We also have crazy high humidity. I think it averages around 80%

My childhood dog's name was Trigger too!! He was a yellow lab.

Diane- I bought several bags of cheap manure at home Depot and used it to winter protect my roses. I figured in spring with all our rain it would give them a good head start. My own root Alnwicks and Darcy bussells are doing great but one of my Abes died and the other one is not happy.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    6 years ago

Lavender, I don't think you are rude at all. I too feel bad if I miss mentioning everyone's posts and pictures. So, everyone, I love the flowers, yards, sweet beasties, etc.

At 6:30 this evening, it was 113.5 degrees outside. It is supposed to be hotter tomorrow.

Have to get off this internet thing and unpack my new tropical waterlily. I was going to get Lioness but they ran out. I have now a Star of Zanzibar, if it survived outside in the heat while I was at work. Hope I don't lose her. Have to get planting. Have a good evening everyone.

titian1 10b Sydney thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    6 years ago

Yikes, 113.5°!

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    6 years ago

Mustbnuts, at that temp, you and your roses must be suffering. It was 102 for me, which is bearable. However, when I got home from work, some of my rose plants were sulking as if to say, "Where have you been"?

titian1 10b Sydney thanked Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
  • titian1 10b Sydney
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Goodness, Bonnie and mustb. that is HOT! Take care.

And lavender, I too hope I haven't offended anyone by forgetting to comment. Like you, I'm commenting in my head as I read.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    6 years ago

Yup. Here is our warning for today. Happy, happy, joy, joy! We are not supposed to get back down into the upper 90's until at least Tuesday next week. At 5:45 am it is already 79 degrees. Yikes!

Excessive Heat Warning

Issued: 5:14 AM PDT Jun. 20, 2017 – National Weather Service

... The excessive heat warning has been extended to 11 PM Friday...

* temperatures... afternoon temperatures will be between 107
    degrees and 114 degrees through Thursday. High temperatures
    Friday will be between 105 degrees and 112 degrees.

* Timing... this afternoon through Friday evening.

* Impacts... prolonged exposure to these temperatures will increase
    the risk of heat related illnesses such as heat exhaustion and
    heat stroke. Children, the elderly, and people with chronic
    respiratory ailments are the most susceptible to heat related
    illness. Pets, crops, and livestock may also require extra care
    through the hot weather.

Additionally, area rivers are potentially life threatening
    sources to seek cooling relief from the heat as the waters in
    them are deep, swift and very cold. Don't be the next drowning
    fatality or the victim of a water Rescue!

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

Take extra precautions, if you work or spend time outside.
    Shelter yourself from the hot sun if possible and schedule
    strenuous physical work outside to the early morning or evening
    hours. Wear light colored, loose fitting clothing if possible.
    Remain hydrated and drink plenty of water. Know the signs and
    symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke.

An excessive heat warning means that a prolonged period of
    dangerously hot temperatures will occur. Prolonged exposure to
    extreme heat can lead to heat exhaustion or heat stroke.

Young children and pets should never be left unattended in
    vehicles under any circumstances. Look before you lock! The
    temperature inside of a car on a hot day can climb to lethal
    levels in a matter of minutes.

Durfee

titian1 10b Sydney thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • fragrancenutter
    6 years ago

It's almost summer in northern hemisphere soon. Is there a summer thread brewing?

titian1 10b Sydney thanked fragrancenutter
    6 years ago

Tomorrow is the first day of summer...A new summer thread will be hosted by Halloblondie fragrancenutter... :-)

Thanks again Halloblondie!

Gee Bonnie & Mustb hope your temps come down soon! 113...yeeeeeeeeeeeee! Hopefully thats a dry 113 and not a humid 113...

Skies are blue today and its sunny... Not hot probably 70's...

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    6 years ago

I'm on it tomorrow morning!

It's raining again today! So opposite of last years weather. The rain is good, but some of my blooms are looking a little dirty & beaten up. I'm noticing some bs too. Last year was so dry that it didn't happen this early. Well at least this year will be a good trial for disease resistance here.

Everyone's pictures are great! I have a 4 year old so we always have popsicles, freezies & ice cream! The ice cream is not good for my waist line. But between my son & hubby's selections (ice cream in a gallon, chocolate covered bars, cookies & ice cream sandwiches); it's hard to resist sometimes.

This is my first blooms of ld braithwaite. This little guy has struggled. I got it as a body bag in clearance last august. But thought for $4, why not. I also moved it again this spring in my front garden makeover. Love the colour of the bloom. It's a nice bright red.

Tiniest rose in the garden. Will see how it does. Has a bit of bs too. Hopefully, it starts to gain some growth now that it's settled.

Second tiniest rose in the garden goes to Bill Reid. Lot's of blooms, but is prone to bs too. Also a $4 one. Lot's of blooms though.

Here's my non blooming abe from yesterday. Those tall canes are 4 feet. This is new growth from spring. I would take a twiggy abe with blooms over this! I also have a sunflower growing randomly next to it. Thank you to the bird or squirrel who planted it.

titian1 10b Sydney thanked HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    6 years ago

Very nice Halloblondie! :-)

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Oh my goodness Jim! What in the world is that big purple flower?

Great pictures Halloblondie, and thanks so much for hosting the new thread!

And a huge thanks to our wonderful Trish, who did such a marvelous job with this thread. From starting it out with beautiful pictures and wise quotes, to making sure that everybody felt included and welcoming newbies. Well done Titian!!!!!!!!!!

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Jim - in my yard, that is a lot of flowers - I would be VERY happy with that!! Love that beautiful petunia!!

Diane - oops...I goofed on the Berenstein name. :) As to the bees, I've had soooo many bees every year before this one. The only difference I can see is that we had our rock borders redone with new sheeting. I did see a bee trying to get through the rocks. Darn...I wish we hadn't have done that. It would be fascinating to watch your Ballerina rose with all those dancing bees!! :)

Flowers - those are beautiful roses!! I e especially love your Martin Frobisher! Such old fashioned type blooms - sigh :)

Lavenderlace - Yup, Teddy is getting bigger - it's weigh in day today. :) That's so funny - you asked the nursery person about Twig Darby. :) Gotta love this forum!

Samuel - Is that Pink Double Knockout? Sure has a lot of flowers! Oh, I wish I could eat those strawberries - home grown strawberries have such intense flavor!

Titian - yes, I have noticed a 95% reduction in bees. See above as to why. I'm very discouraged about it. I'll let you all know if they make a comeback. But, I have noticed a few tiny green tomatoes growing on my plants. So there are a few bees here.

Carol

titian1 10b Sydney thanked rosecanadian
  • User
    6 years ago

It's a red DBL Knockout but I think the sun makes it Bright. I am so thankful for my Knockout it's a bloom trooper.

6 years ago

Actually that flower is a blue petunia lavenderlace....

Our sunny day just turned ugly...lol

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Love the looks of her Jim! (petunia) But I saw that sweet dog face with the caption that things turned ugly and was expecting a growling face. But you have yet another thunderstorm!

Is this normal for your area? And are 70's in June normal? That sounds fantastic, so tired of this sweltering heat.

6 years ago

70-80 degrees is the normal for our June lavenderlace....We had about 7 days total so far that it reached 90 degrees or higher though...

I just captured these Hummy photos...Female Ruby throated Hummy...

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    6 years ago

I don't like that sky, Jim, and hope you don't get more rain from it. I love your marigold and petunia combination--they just say "joy" to me, and make me feel good to see it....I'd say your doggy (senior moment--forgot her name) is tied with Teddy for cute. What an adorable photo.

Carol, I'm sorry about your bees. What is the sheeting you replaced. Is it a layer under the rocks? Maybe the bees are just late this year, and I dearly hope they show up. I hope you get more tomatoes as an indicator they are out pollinating. I think wasps also do a lot of tomato pollinating here. The bees were getting pollen from Ballerina again this morning, and I forgot to get a photo. It will be so hot they probably be resting by now.

Blondie, maybe you could try cutting those two tallest canes back a bit and see if it generates some bud action. I love your little roses, especially LD Braithwaite. I also like that foot in one photo--painted toenails, even. I do the foot thing, too, but in ugly gardening shoes--and my toenails are very plain. I would like to visit your house and sample your frozen treats....Somehow I forgot to mention how wonderful your yard and garden look. You have some great design ideas on the placement of your plants, and the shape of your beds--plus they are perfect! I would like to hire you to edge my flower beds, please. And thanks again for hosting the new thread.

LL, don't worry about missing someone in your comments. This thread is impossible to keep up with. Did you really and truly ask for Twig Darby? Jim's petunia does look some giant tropical flower, I agree.

Fragrance, yes, there is a summer thread starting tomorrow. It will be hosted by halloblondie. Happy winter to you.

Mustb, I'm so sorry about your heat. I think it's awful at 96F here currently, and would melt away in your temps, which we have once in while believe it not, though not as frequently as your area. We'd better not hit 113F.

Well, my granddaughter, Clare turns 19 tomorrow on the first day of summer. Sometimes, her bday falls on Father's day, too. which makes it extra nice for her dad, who worships the ground she walks on.....I think we are almost to the 2000 post mark and what a record. Thank you again, Trish, for hosting. What fun it was, and now you can sit back and enjoy the summer thread. Plus read Flavia. And chuckle when we groan about how hot it is, while you are in the midst of winter. Diane

Augusta Luise

titian1 10b Sydney thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

That's very neighborly of Cagney and Lacey to allow Mrs. Hummy to visit!

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Diane, we always seem to be writing at the same time! Augusta Louise looks luscious in your garden. Happy Birthday to your granddaughter, hope she gets lots of ice cream too.

Twig Darby is as famous now as your gardening shoes!

6 years ago

No rain Nanadoll...lol...Black clouds all floated away...Our dogs name is Gracie Nanadoll...

I'm just snapping pics today...I tried to capture a bumblebee pic but he had other plans...lol...I love watching gods creations...

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Jim, I love that picture with Gracie and the KOs!! :) :)

Diane - I saw about 5 bees today. It was just a landscaping fabric under the rocks. Normally I would see about 25. But 5 bees is better than no bees! GASP - I just saw your AL!!!! That's gorgeous!!! Someone catch me - swoooon!! :)

It's about 25 C now which is about 77 F, and I was outside working, and it felt so incredibly hot. I was splashing myself with the hose. We're such babies here about heat. It isn't even humid to make it worse.

Carol

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Carol, that temperature sounds fabulous. We had 112 heat index, so wet, sweltering heat. The trade-off for roses in February but it's going to be unbearable until October here!

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

I think I have the best of both worlds. We get the cooler weather in the summer, but I get a longer season than most here because my roses are more raring to go having been kept warmish in the garage, plus I get to grow roses that a lot of people here can't grow. Plus my roses don't much for diseases/bugs here. Yes, there's a looooong wait for roses though. :)

Carol

• titian1 10b Sydney
    Original Author
    6 years ago

lavenderlace, humid and 112 ghastly.

Glorious morning here. The sun has just come up over the line of clouds on the horizon. Rosie will be happy - there'll be a bit of warmth now.

Carol, we're wimps about cold. 50 degrees and we're all rubbing our hands and complaining.

Jim, as Diane said, what a cheery photo of your petunias and marigolds.

Sam, I'm definitely getting some wood chips now. I've been planning on getting some for a little while, funnily enough. The timing of the delivery is the difficulty, as they'll have to be dumped on the driveway, and I haven't got a date from the builder about when he's coming back. But I may just chase down a tree lopper, when I hear one nearby! I was put off getting them previously by a very negative comment from a woman who has a stunning garden.

HalloBlondie, thanks again for putting your hand up for the Summer thread. I look forward to it. I'd be a butterball in your house with all that temptation in the freezer. Speaking of hands, I think The Hand may now have a friend in The Toes.

Trish's Garden · More Info

Trish's Garden · More Info

Orchid, and poinsettia, taken this morning, early.

Thank you everyone for partaking in this thread. I've enjoyed it.

Trish

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    6 years ago

Titian - that poinsetta is fabulous. I've never seen one grown in a garden. I only see them at christmas potted & wrapped with shiny red or green foil! I love the orchid too! I've grown those indoors before, but they never last too long. I think I kill them with kindness, too much water!

Thanks for hosting the spring thread Titian! I think this thread has been the fastest paced one yet! And the most comments too! I just love the randomness of it. Talking about food, climate, family, homes, mixed in with garden & rose talk!

As for my toes, I did not even notice it when I posted. Thank goodness they were pedicured!!! Just kidding. I'm actually do for changing up the colour. I think I'll go purple to go with my new purples roses!

As for garden creatures, I've really noticed an increase in the variety of bees in the past few weeks buzzing around the plants. I think because it has warmed up & there are a lot more pollen sources.

@jim - love the hummingbird! I need to get a feeder. I keep saying I will, then I forget until I see a pic.

@diane - thanks for the compliments. I do love the neat edge containing the wildness of the plants. Your augusta is gorgeous too!

titian1 10b Sydney thanked HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    6 years ago

Love those flower pics titian1 !

Your welcome titian1! You have been a fantastic host! :-)

Do you realize this thread has over 2000 comments? lol... I think Nanadoll was the 2000 poster....

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    6 years ago

Yes, Jim, I believe I was #2000, and I didn't plan it. Do I get a balloon? Your bird photos are the best. I don't know how you get such close ups, but they are great.

Trish, those are stunning photos. I can't get over the vibrancy of the poinsettias. Do they just grow naturally for you without special light requirements? You grow some fun stuff, but I wish your wildlife would share it with you (bananas and other yummy things). See you in summer/winter. And everybody else, too! Diane

titian1 10b Sydney thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • titian1 10b Sydney
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Diane, congrats on being number 2000. That poinsettia was here when I came here. It was twice the size till last year, when it started to die off, possibly due to the fencing, as it's right next to it, so I suspect its roots were slashed. It just colours up naturally - lucky for this lazy gardener!

I've bought a lot of netting, and am going to net the next pod of bananas, and probably net the whole persimmon tree next summer.

6 years ago

All those balloons are for you Nanadoll! :-) 2000th....But you can share with others if you like...lol

Well all in all its been a great day! Sun is getting ready to set soon....Crazy looking black clouds would come & go all day but no rain today... Thunderstorms tomorrow though...lol

Lacey

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Trish - oh wow - I just looked that up - that's about 10C. I'd be constantly wearing shorts by then. No kidding. :) A lot of people here wouldn't ...but I would...especially if I was walking....way too hot for pants. :)

Jim - balloons were a nice touch!! Lacey looks like a jungle cat in her domain. :)

Carol

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    6 years ago

Hello all: I'm looking forward to seeing HalloBlondie's summer thread tomorrow. Any ideas for a title yet? Will it be a surprise?

Thank you, Trish for a fantastic Falling into Spring thread! There are some gorgeous photos here that I will no doubt revisit when my roses look like crispy fries.

titian1 10b Sydney thanked Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    6 years ago

I've been wondering to Bonnie...lol

6 years ago

Sam, did you receive the Beneficial Nematodes from that company ok? I've been emailing them for awhile now but they never answer my emails. I did email another company and did receive the info I needed fairly quick... I have around 2070 sq ft to spray with the Beneficial Nematodes...

• User
    6 years ago

Jim

Yes I they take a week to answer emails. I talked to them by phone. 805 445 9001. They are very busy and don't like to receive phone calls. The phone number was on my receipt. I give it to you in confidence if you need it.

If you put a food color in the hose end sprayer then you will see when to refill from a bucket to the hose end sprayer. I used it from a bucket to twenty watering cans. Good luck and write it down on paper how you are going to apply so you are prepared.

Titian Trish

I am so glad that you saw Paul Gautschi. He uses the tree trimmings with leaves and pine needles. He calls them wood chips. And also the composted manuer.

I also watch Paul Gautschi once a year. No need for all that chemist stuff and NPK and all that gardening by numbers. I just mimic nature.

I am so thankful for you all in this thread.

See you in the Summer Thread.

• titian1 10b Sydney thanked HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
  • fragrancenutter
    6 years ago

Thanks for the rain Jim! It's pouring down outside!!

titian1 10b Sydney thanked fragrancenutter