SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
headmotty

Fall or Spring for Planting?

headmotty
6 years ago

We are redoing our front plantings, removing all the shrubs, etc. we have now, and replacing them with new ones from either garden centers or mail order. Varieties we are considering include camellia, hydrangea, beautyberry, azalea, dwarf maple tree, maybe some perennials like achillea and salvia. I'm waffling back and forth between doing the new plantings this fall, or waiting until next spring.

There are two schools of thought I guess: plant in the fall so the plants can get established before the heat of the following summer, or plant in the spring so the plants can get established before the cold of winter. Winters are usually not that severe here in northern Virginia, but summers can be dry and brutal. So I'm leaning toward getting things in the ground this fall. I realize one or the other may be preferred for certain varieties, but I'm just talking in general, which do people prefer, spring or fall for planting? Maybe it doesn't really make a difference, as long as I keep them watered and mulched properly?

Comments (4)