SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tanya_johnson9526363

Farmhouse Kitchen Reveal (Before & After)

musicgalnd
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We replaced our 1948 farmhouse kitchen. Here's a few pics of the before:

We added a new mudroom and garage on to the house to get rid of this lowered entryway (doorway in the left of this pic) and opened up the stairwell behind this old pantry wall:

The doorway to the right is to the dining room:

Here's the after:

Materials used:

Local custom cabinet maker at that time did not produce white painted cabinets. After trying for an eternity to talk me out of a white kitchen, he agreed to install just the maple boxes and provided the cabinet doors from Walzcraft in "Pearl" finish. After the boxes were installed I painted them with Benjamin Moore Kitchen & Bath paint that was color-matched to the Pearl doors.

Since the kitchen is only 12.5 x 13.5, we also built a larder/pantry cupboard in the entryway (just a few steps away). It houses canned goods and crockpots/serving dishes/kitchen appliances that don't get used daily. Since we're so rural and seldom get to the grocery store and because our kids couldn't possibly be bothered to put their jackets on hangers, we also turned the entryway closet into a step-in pantry. Kids use hooks in the garage for wet snowpants and winter gear and the hooks on the other end of the mudroom for sweatshirts/jackets.

Perimeter cabinets are Formica Basalt Slate with integrated WilsonArt HD sink.

Island top is walnut, I apply Tung Oil once or twice a year.

Cup Pulls / Knobs / Hinges are all antique pewter finish.

Best improvements:

*Getting rid of the tiny entryway with steps up to the kitchen. If you were lucky enough not to fall down the basement stairs, you still had to overcome the challenge of squeezing up the three steps to the kitchen and climbing over the heap of shoes piled up in the corner of the kitchen. The new 16' mudroom/entry is great. I thought it would be too big at first, but it allows our whole family of 5 to spill into the house with backpacks/gym bags/groceries/etc without piling up and tripping all over each other.

* opening up the tiny doorway between the kitchen/dining room into an 8 foot wide arch. No more traffic jams between the dining room and kitchen!

* The larder and step-in pantry. We finally have storage for small kitchen appliances & food! We keep extra freezers and an extra fridge in the garage and dry & canned goods in the entryway pantry. No more trips to the basement to prep supper!

* Soft-close drawers and heavy-duty drawer slides... ahh the luxury!

Comments (15)