SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Before and after plans for Old Farmhouse

lavender_lass
13 years ago

I hope you all don't mind, but I'm going to try this again. I should have made a "before" of the farmhouse, as it looks today. Then you have something to compare with, for the "after" :)

The before is the original farmhouse, with a 1950s addition (the living room/bedroom side). The attic stairs come up from the back (by the main bath) and there's a narrow pantry, that leads to the 'scary' cellar steps. The old bath needs to be completely redone, as does the porch, but I think the foundation is okay...the roof is just pulling away from the main building, in both areas.

The living room fireplace is beautiful (antique looking rose red brick) but the little master bath is a disaster. The front door makes sense (in relation to being in the middle of the original house) but not with the addition.

The after has the front door moved, with the stairs going up from that side...and new 'non-scary' basement stairs! The living room is no longer a walk through room to the bedroom and I combined the two small bathrooms into one nice, big one...also, better closet space, in the bedroom.

The porch has been opened up to the kitchen, as the new dining area. Also, there's a small addition on the back, for the pantry, laundry and 1/2 bath. The other, most notable change, is the wall is gone between the old dining room and kitchen, making a much bigger space.

I did add some small air lock/vestibules on the front and back door, for storage and to keep the heat in. Ideally, if I can afford it, I would put a glass/screened porch on the back, instead of the small mudroom, for storage in the winter and to sit out (without the bugs) in the summer!

Also, I've included a close up of my kitchen plan (with woodstove in the corner) which is kind of an french farmhouse/english cottage mix. Think rustic but bright (lots of windows) with cream cabinets, and a work table in the center. Love the french blue and soft yellow together, with lots of plants and lavender!

The dining room photo has all the colors, I want to use. I love the kitchen photo, but I'd have a white sink, with antique brass faucet and hardware.

So, here's the before and after, with a few inspiration pictures. What do you think? Any suggestions? Thanks for taking the time to look!

{{gwi:1416709}}

{{gwi:1518830}}

{{!gwi}}

{{gwi:617005}}

{{gwi:1518828}}

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!