SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Back with plan for farmhouse remodel

lavender_lass
13 years ago

Well, I know some of you think it's VERY bad to take down walls, but I'm planning to do it...and hoping you see why, when I post my plan.

We have a farmhouse, we inherited (with the farm) from my huband's father...belonged to his grandparents. The original part is from 1904, with a 1950's addition. The addition was built by my husband's great uncle and the fireplaces (living room and family room) were built by my husband's uncle.

We also have a very large family on my husband's side (30-40 people at parties) so a small space needs to live big. We like the original layout, more or less, but I think a big country kitchen is more practical and works better, on a farm.

The old house...originally, was the living room in front, the kitchen in back (with a small table) and the porch, stairs, and little room (that I made the entry) was the master bedroom! Celllar under and attic/big bedroom upstairs. The bath was added a little later. In the 1950's, the living room (with fireplace) back bedroom and bath were added. Upstairs, more attic space and downstairs, a family room (with another fireplace) and back bedroom.

Here's the before and after plans...each square is = 2 feet, but the first plan seems to be smaller (from the scanner, I guess). Also, I've included some pictures of the wood stove in the kitchen seating area...and a few inspiration pictures from the kitchen forum.

I always draw furniture in my plans, to make sure the room is big enough, to work as a finished space. Too many remodeling shows end up with beautiful rooms...that the furniture they'd like doesn't seem to fit!

Thank you for taking the time to look. Maybe taking the wall down will make sense to some, maybe not, but I appreciate your input and suggestions :)

{{gwi:1416709}}

{{gwi:1518815}}

{{gwi:1518817}}

{{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1518828}}

{{gwi:617005}}

Comments (8)