SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
audrey_a_meyer0

Watering from below?

Audrey
7 years ago

Hi all!

i have never been successful with propagation, so I was doing some reasearch and found a method that I had never heard of on this forum (I'm not too experienced). The general idea is to have the little pot sitting in a bowl or something so that you fill up the bowl and water the roots from below.

Anyways, I've had this leaf growing in my windowsill all winter and it looks like it might be one of few that won't die on me. So I thought that would be a good one to try transplanting. It is currently in a cactus soil/perlite mix 50/50 and I was thinking of moving it to a soil an it heavier on perlite.

it gets about 5-6 hours of direct sunlight through a window per day, depending on the weather. Once the weather warms up (I live in Minnesota) I plan on moving it outdoors, but it will have a few months to settle in before going out.

So so my concerns are these:

1. What do you make of this watering from below setup? Is it doable for a beginner? What are the things I should be careful about? Also, does anyone do this for their adult cacti/succulents or is it just for young ones?

2. I don't have any very small terra cotta pots to put it in, but I have some tiny biodegradable nursery pots that i think would breathe enough, but might hold water too long. Should I just go out and find another small terra cotta pot or do you think it might work?

3. I have been a long time lurker at everybody's soil recommendations, but my budget is tight and I can't break the bank on some of the fancier mixtures. So, my question is whether a 60% perlite 40% cactus soil mixture will be good enough to give the little guy a strong life.

4. Any other ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Like I said, I'm a bit of a beginner and have never had success with propagation, so I look up to you all so much!

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

audrey, zone 4a

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus