SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
southdakotadaylily

Questions on Growing Seeds

southdakotadaylily
16 years ago

This is the first year for me for growing daylilies from seed.

1. I have been using the paper towel method (in ziplock bags) to get the seeds to sprout. I have around 2 dozen different crosses. The one cross [Stella D' Oro x little business] produced around 300 seeds. I opened my ziplock bags and I have around 250 seeds all sprouting at once.

My other crosses have one or zero seeds sprout each time I check.

Is this normal to have one cross germinate like crazy and other crosses do very little sprouting?

2) The seeds that sprout I plant in soil in plastic cups.

I have some albino seelings poping through the soil. Some of these pure white stocks are almost 3" high. What do albino seedlings mean?

3) I have the seedlings under florenscent light (one bulb is 3500 Kalvin and the other bulb is 6500 Kalvin), I am trying to replicate both ends of the light spectrum for the seedlings. Is there an optimal number of hours each day the artificial light should be on? How many hours should the seedlings have to rest each 24 hour period?

4) Several of you have recommended watering from below. If the seeds are in soil in plastic cups, how does one water from below?

5) It has been mentioned that only one seedling out of 1,000 is good enough to register. What do you do with the other 999 seedlings that are good enough to register?

Comments (4)