Celebrities

coralee7
7 years ago

Have you ever met one? I haven't.

Comments (74)

• gyr_falcon
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I live in SoCal, you cannot avoid seeing them. Several relatives by marriage are/were actors, too. I don't "meet" as many as I see, because I'm not the star struck type and each of us just lets the other carry on with their lives.

coralee7 thanked gyr_falcon
  • mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Many years ago we went to Latrobe Pa which is 20 minutes from where we live, Latrobe is Where the Pittsburgh Steelers go every summer for training camp. Very close to St. Vincents where they practice was a Kentucky Fried Chicken and Pizza Hut merged together. They offered a dinner bar of all you can eat at supper time. Hubs our boys, my Aunt and I went for dinner. Greg Lloyd was at the salad bar (#95) LOL...I told hubs hurry up I'm going up to stand by him and you snap a pic...Lloyd figured out what I was doing and carried his plate to our table and ate with us. There was no football talk lol. Let me say this man is HUGE.

coralee7 thanked mamapinky0
  • Related Discussions

Help me decide between Jubilee Celebration and Golden Celebration

Q

Comments (14)
    These are both exceptional roses. They both have some shade tolerance, so four hours of sun might be fine. In the book "The English Roses", Mr. Austin speaks highly about both. He considers Golden Celebration, perhaps his finest rose. But if they are going in a container, yes Jubilee is the one for you. I am so surprised that in California it is staying so compact. Usually an Austin rose becomes mega here. By the way that fragrance on JC is so lemony and fresh.
    ...See More

Centenary celebration

Q

Comments (28)
    Happy birthday to your mother! Wow that sounds like a perfect celebration for her hundredth. So great many of the family were in attendance. It is so hard to get together when you have become a small town. My DH's side of the family is like that. We do not get together often enough with everyone. Very glad it worked out for your mother.
    ...See More

Got wood? Celebrating with a shot of Crown Royal!

Q

Comments (36)
    Very impressive Annie. I know the amount of work involved in cutting firewood. The last time we had several cords DH and both boys worked all weekend with a hydraulic splitter. They'd split and toss the wood aside and DDIL and I would stack it. Then when Covid shut things down DS stayed at our place in PA for a few months and decided to build a wood shed. I really enjoy our wood burning stoves and the aroma of a fire - and it wont be long before we';; be sitting by the fire. Maire
    ...See More

I don't celebrate Christmas.......

Q

Comments (49)
    Except in obvious situations with someone not known to you (as when speaking to someone whose appearance or speech suggest an obvious recent Asian background), I don't think any offense would be taken when offering the secular greeting of one's choice. Saying a "holy" or "blessed" Christmas crosses the line for me. And, as someone mentioned above, a stranger saying this " I usually ask if they celebrate Christmas before I wish them a Merry one. " is rude and inappropriate. I would reply with something like "whether I do or don't, that's a matter that is private for me that you don't need to know". Others may say something similarly snappy or might otherwise be offended by such an out of line personal question from a stranger. Edit to add - I think most understand that polite conversation with people not well known, and sometimes also with people well known, avoids the big three - religion, politics, and socks.
    ...See More
  • marilyn_c
    7 years ago

This is a little off topic...forgive me. I have a friend who looks just like Weird Al ... and I hope you know who I mean because I can't spell the last name. I didn't even know who Weird Al was, but evidently most people do. By coincidence, his name happens to be Allen. A mutual friend always called him "Weird Al" because he looked so much like the real Weird Al.

Allen went to a bowling tournament, and I can't remember if it was in Lubbock or Armadillo, but somewhere in north Texas. He and his lady friend went out to a club for drinks. Someone saw him and thought he was the real Weird Al. Approached him and asked if he was Weird Al, and Allen decided to play along...so said yes. He said the next thing he knew, people were coming up asking for autographs and sending drinks to his table. He signed autographs Weird Al. No one ever figured out he wasn't the "real" Weird Al.

coralee7 thanked marilyn_c
  • coralee7
    Original Author
    7 years ago

No forgiveness required.

• chisue
    7 years ago

Go to Costco. See a star. LOL

At home -- Several 'sightings' of Scottie Pippen indulging his three-year-old DD at the food court. Many Bears players. All HUGE men; hard to miss!

On Maui -- Tom Thayer with his mom and dad at the cashier. I was writing a check. Mrs. Thayer noticed our address and said hello. She said they'd just flown in and were 'provisioning' before heading to Tommy's house in West Maui. (Do you think anyone else calls him 'Tommy'? LOL)

DH was a guest panelist on an Oprah program about adoption. He's also met many sports stars and broadcasters through his work. He enjoyed the hours with Alex Haley, Dan Rather, and Billy Williams. He was also at the 1956 Democratic convention as an Andy Frain Usher. (Let's not get into that!)

We got hungry in a Chicago hotel one evening and I decided to go down to the lobby for a candy bar. I pushed the elevator button; door opened; the elvator rocked as six gigantic men made room for me -- no easy feat for those Denver Broncos.

coralee7 thanked chisue
  • carol_in_california
    7 years ago

I played in a golf tournament with Jack LaLanne.

coralee7 thanked carol_in_california
  • Lindsey_CA
    7 years ago

As was previously mentioned, when you live in LA or Orange Counties in California you see a lot of celebs whether you are trying to or not. :-)

Many years ago I worked for two OB/GYNs in a building that was right at the meeting point of Beverly Hills and West Hollywood (Sunset & Doheny). Our patients were all female (duh!) and many were A-list celebrities. Others were wives or girlfriends of A-listers. Others were female directors, etc. Very few patients weren't connected to the entertainment industry. Many times the patient's husband or boyfriend, as the case may be, attended the appointment, so if it were the guy who was the big celeb, we'd meet him when he came in with his wife/girlfriend. The office in which I worked was in a multi-story medical building and there was a pharmacy on the first floor. There was also a Hamburger Hamlet restaurant downstairs. It was not at all uncommon to run into celebs in the hallways of the building, or in the pharmacy, or in the restaurant (where we had lunch at least 3 days each week).

coralee7 thanked Lindsey_CA
  • bengardening
    7 years ago

Like Marilyn_C I have a friend who looks just like Willie Nelson. A lot of people call him Willie. He wears his hair the same and wears a bandana, has a beard, is about the same height and build. Willie Nelson was up at the state fair in Minot ND and my friend went up to see him. My friend Dan was walking in the midway before and after the concert and a lot of people came up to him to have their picture taken with him and get a autograph. Dan obliged them and no one was the wiser. I always think these people will be quite surprised if they ever take the autographs to have them appraised and they will find out that they are fake/

coralee7 thanked bengardening
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Many many over the years. Toby Keith is a close family friend and the band used to reherse in my living room. Several members of the band at the time stayed at my house when they were in town. I traveled a lot with them, they were using my van and trailer when they were doing gigs all around Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana etc.

We lived in Memphis in the 70s. One of our best friends was Elvis Presley's motorcycle mechanic. He called us one day and said be out in front of Graceland at a specific time. So I was on my Harley 3 wheeler and hubby was on his Harley panhead outside of the gates at Graceland. He comes out and said we are going on a ride we need extra people to surround Elvis. So sure enough here comes Elvis on his Harley and a few other guys. Elvis looked at my 3 wheeler and said he liked my ride. We took a nice ride for an hour or so. Got back to Graceland, he came over to me and took off his iconic silver Elvis sunglasses and handed them to me. Gave me a hug, shook hands with the guys and went in. I of course still have the glasses. Later when he was ill he was in the hospital I was working at. I saw him there too. It was very sad to see how much he had changed.

We met Jimmy Buffet a few times and partied. One day we were in his neck of the woods in Florida eating at a little seafood place. My husband had on a hat just like one that Jimmy used to wear and I was wearing my Cheeseburger in paradise t-shirt. My husband looked a lot like Jimmy back then when he had that hat on. We started hearing a lot of Chatter and people staring at us. I didn't know what was going on. One of them got up the nerve to come to our table and ask for an autograph! Lol. My husband still had no idea what was going on. I started laughing. I said oh they think you are Jimmy! The guy standing at our table said shhhh let's mess with them. So we played along for a while then we all had a good laugh.

When I was younger I met lots of musicians and bands. Hung out with Bob Seger quite a bit.

I was at a Jim Croce concert in 1973 at a university in Louisiana, after the concert a few people got to chat with him. I was there till he left to go get on their plane to go to the next stop. Later I heard his plane crashed and he was killed.

coralee7 thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • gadgets
    7 years ago

When I worked for the Ohio National Guard, a prize fighter named Earnie Shavers used the armory where I worked as a secret place to train. I thought he was going to break my hand when he shook it. We were sworn to secrecy not to reveal he was there. I got a kick out of that because he arrived with all his group in stretch limousines.

coralee7 thanked gadgets
  • mamapinky0
    7 years ago

I've never been to NYC, but I'd bet if you hang out in certain areas you see celebs.

Forgot to mention I met all of the Disney characters. Hey their famous right? Lol

• lily316
    7 years ago

I ate dinner with part of the 5th Dimension singing group.

coralee7 thanked lily316
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

I've lived in NYC and been there innumerable times. Only once have I seen a celebrity. It was the actress Patricial Neal, walking down Fifth Ave in the Upper 70's with the aid of her nurse. We recognized one another from the Vineyard, and I told her she was looking well, and she said we'd both be looking a LOT better next summer on the Vineyard! She was a lovely woman and truly joined into the community - never wanted to be left alone.

When she was still married to Roald Dahl, they were at the Beach Club one day for lunch. My daughter, then about age 8, recognized him, and she and a visiting friend asked me if they might go to the office and get pen and paper and ask him for his autograph. I told them they must watch and wait until he'd finished his lunch and then they might do this. They were thrilled beyond belief!

The next day, we were in Boston at Logan to put her friend on a plane to go back home. As we were waiting at the gate, here came Patricia Neal, Roals Dahl and their grown son. He immediately recognized the girls and greeted them. Then he showed them his ancient leather brief case - it looked like something out of Her Majesty's Secret Service - buckles etc. Out of it, he took a yellow tablet and showed them the manuscript of the book he was writing at that time (can't remember which one it was), and showed them how he always wrote in longhand on a yellow legal-sized tablet. Again, they were thrilled.

His youngest daughter, Lucy (the one Patricia Neal was pregnant with when she had that terrible stroke) told me later that he was magical as a father. Not a great husband, but a magical father. Lucy has her mother's gorgeous face and her father's tall, slender body - she's still a stunner at 50+.

I lied! I just remembered that when I was living in NYC while in retailing school in 1964-65, I was in Bergdorf Goodman one day in their Delman shoe dept, and who should be sitting on a big banquette, with her enormous Russian sable coat spread out around her, but Greta Garbo herself! Yes, it's true - she DID have big feet - long narrow ones. And yes, she was absolutely gorgeous - those bones! How could I forget. I bet I tried on two dozen pairs of shoes so I could sit and watch her!

coralee7 thanked Anglophilia
  • coralee7
    Original Author
    7 years ago

What a lovely story!

• donna_loomis
    7 years ago

Most of you have probably never heard his name, but in my eyes he's a celebrity. Chris Solberg. In fact, I saw him just this afternoon at my office. He was part of a group from 1978-1980 that some of you may remember- Santana. He played bass guitar and keyboard. He has written songs for Carlos Santana, Chris Isaak, Eddie Money, and Disney. He's free with his hugs, got a couple today.

coralee7 thanked donna_loomis
  • mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Anglophilia, How I wish I could sit with you over a lovely pot of tea and listen to all your life stories. I have a feeling you are a very interesting lady.

• Adella Bedella
    7 years ago

I think I've told these before. Back when I was in high school, I was at a school convention in Little Rock. Some friends and I were eating at McDonald's. We finished and went outside and there was a policeman on a horse. We stood admired the horse for a little while. Another friend walked out and told us the governor of Arkansas was making a call on a pay phone. We peeked in. He was there at the phone in his running shorts. He came out and we watched him leave.

We saw Little Richard in a limo out in front of Mann's Chinese Theater in Hollywood. He was wearing a lot of makeup. He gave each of us a book he had written. I've lost it somewhere over the years.

coralee7 thanked Adella Bedella
  • User
    7 years ago

Who was the governor of Arkansas at that time, Adellabedella?

coralee7 thanked User
  • bob_cville
    7 years ago

The friends we were staying with in California over this past weekend were supposed to meet us Thursday night at Disneyland, so we could go through the park on Friday together with their 2-year-old. The husband couldn't make it until Friday midday, because a commercial shoot he we working ran long. It was a Nespresso commercial, starring George Clooney with a "Around the World in 80 Days" theme. Our friend will be in the commercial with George Clooney, but will have some other celebrity painted over him digitally.

coralee7 thanked bob_cville
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

Mama, I do have a LOT of stories. I've lived in interesting times. I'm no one special - have never been wealthy - grew up in a Midwest middle class family with my father middle management for a public utility.

But the famous Dr Karl Menninger did live up the street from me, and a good friend lived next door to him. We used to sometimes play with his daughter from his 2nd marriage - he had grandchildren her age. And we went to the same church. Sometimes it's just serendipity.

• coralee7
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well I think you are special.

• Adella Bedella
    7 years ago

Chloecat, it was Bill Clinton.

coralee7 thanked Adella Bedella
  • hooked123
    7 years ago

I met AL Gore, well he signed an autograph for me. He was truly the fakest human being I have ever met. My husband was a representative for his company years ago at political events and we met several politicians. I found Mitt Romney to be warm, funny and charming which I thought AL Gore would be. I waited in line for four hours to meet Bill Clinton only to be asked for $5000 by his handlers, I declined. As we were leaving the event a cute 20 something was giddy as can be showing a selfie of her with Bill whom had just walked by- I wanted to meet him and was sad that minutes before he walked by.

My son went to preschool with a semi-famous country music star she was nice on field trips.

My husband looks like a famous politician and has often had free food sent to his table. He never knows what to do lol.

My husband was at Target shopping when the guy from the famous wedding dress show tried to flirt with him lol!

I saw Donnie Wahlberg in New Orleans.

My husband met Collin Powell and Condelezza Rice whom he spent several hours with and was VERY impressed.

I became friends with the wife of a famous retired Dallas Cowboys player. She would tell me stories that fascinated me. I didn't envy her after hearing stories of women stalking her husband and showing up at their door in the middle of the night harassing their family.

coralee7 thanked hooked123
  • jemdandy
    7 years ago

I met Mr. Alexander "Sandy" Cutler when he first became an employee of Cutler-Hammer. I worked on the 3rd floor in Research and he on 5th floor in marketing. Our department had an engineering computer and he came down on occasion to run a warehouse program that he was writing. Also, he was working out details of using a computer to ferret out trends in sales data.

He quickly moved up the ladder. After Eaton bought Cutler-Hammer in 1976, he moved on to a number of corporate positions and then became the CEO of Eaton. He retired last year.

coralee7 thanked jemdandy
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 years ago

A blue million country music stars (the Oakridge Boys, the Mandrell sisters, Johnny Cash's family, etc.). All through... of all things... my church. It's not a megachurch, not a charismatic leader? Just us. I've seen Mike Snyder in person and found him to be kind. Ricky Skaggs was normal. Tanya Tucker was normal. I've even been in an Alabama video (part of the crowd). My niece has been in one too. Not in the crowd. Too bad I'm not a country music fan. I will say, I also saw Richard Sterban and his family more than once because my husband's (not any longer!) company had season tickets behind him at the Nashville Sounds. Sterban owned the Sounds at that point. Mostly, they just seem like other middle Tennesseans.

coralee7 thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • coralee7
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Some people do let fame go to their head. Sad all around.

• eld6161
    7 years ago

I just thought of a cute story. DH worked for the telephone company and James Earl Jones was the spokesperson. DH met him and someone took a picture of the two of them.

Years later, a friend told my DH he saw his photo as part of a slide show up at the main office that continuously rotates through.

coralee7 thanked eld6161
  • coralee7
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Eld that's neat. Your DH is almost famous.

• lily316
    7 years ago

I've met about five PA governors at an open house at the Governor's mansion each Xmas. Even had a long conversation with one of them. ...My son in law looks like Anderson Cooper and many times has been stopped at airports.

coralee7 thanked lily316
  • chisue
    7 years ago

I forgot to say that I have met a president. I don't remember it, but President Truman stopped to greet my mother and me one morning on Michigan Blvd. He took my hand (white gloved, of course!), and said he missed his little girl. I was three or four. Quite amazing today to think that he didn't appear to have any 'protection' close to him. How nice to be able to be 'just a man' taking a walk in the sunshine at the end of WWII.

coralee7 thanked chisue
  • dees_1
    7 years ago

One year we had Michael Tucker and Jill Eikenberry as next door neighbors in Mexico. They were the nicest folks! Michael would sit outside on the patio and chat with us while Jill was getting ready.

coralee7 thanked dees_1
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

When my father worked for SW Bell Tel company, there were often strikes. When that happened, the management employees had to man the switchboards (all we had in those days). My father was working the board in Independence MO, and he often got Pres Truman's daily phone call to his mother, a force of nature. Like all operators, he often listened in to the conversation which mainly consisted of "Mama" lambasting Truman for one thing or another, and Truman politely (and wearily) reply over and over "Yes, Mama. Yes, Mama"!

Truman was famous for his "morning constitutionals" on the streets of DC near the White House, usually accompanied by just one SS agent. What a nice, far safer world it was then.

• evatx
    7 years ago

I saw Ricky Nelson at a nightclub in Denver and got his autograph. I saw Hal Linden and another man walk across the casino in Las Vegas where my girlfriend and I were visiting. I saw them stop at an elevator, grabbed Lynne by the hand and said let's go meet them! She said no, we're not supposed to bother celebrities, but I said we're not bothering them since they're just standing there waiting for an elevator. So we walked up to him and I said, "Hello, Mr. Linden. I'm a long-time fan." He shook my hand and said, "Thank you." Then I introduced him to Lynne, he shook her hand said hello. Neither of us recognized the other man, and just as the elevator came, he said to us, "Do you know who I am?" It was said in kind of an arrogant, rude manner, I thought, so I said, "No sir. Do you know who I am?" He laughed and said that he was a senator from some northern state and shook our hands. I thought it was a fun encounter. Then I used to work at the front desk of a Denver country club where Buddy Hackett's daughter was a member. One day Buddy Hackett came in, and all the staff started walking up to my counter, grabbing pieces of note paper and pens and getting his autograph. After he signed several for them, he came to the desk and asked, "Do you know who I am, young lady?" I said, "Of course, Mr. Hackett, and they're ready for you in the pro shop." I did get his autograph also. I saw John Rivers' show at a hotel casino in Las Vegas. Later I got into an elevator to go back to the casino, and she got in. I said, "Hello. I just saw your show and loved it." She was very gracious, shook my hand and asked if I had anything with me that she could sign. I didn't and she said she was sorry. So calm and polite. Another time, my husband I were at a convention in L.A., and were taken to Sardi's for dinner. We saw Jackie Gleason at a booth with a few show girls around him. Fortunately, his seat was on the way to the ladies' room, so when a couple of us got up, passed by him, he smiled and waved at us. By midnight, he was at the booth alone, with his head down on the table, sound asleep. Our waiter said that he was there often with lots of people, then at the end of the night he would sit there alone. Thought that was such a sad story. I've seen some other celebrities from afar, but except for some football players, have not met them.

coralee7 thanked evatx
  • Jak Perth
    7 years ago

Many years ago I worked for the Privy Council Office in Ottawa Canada. That is the Prime Minister's civil service support office. One day I heard children running in the hall of the office and went out to see three little boys running up and down the corridor. I told them that they were in an important business building and they would have to be quiet. They quieted right down and walked off down the hall. The oldest of these is Justin Trudeau now the Prime Minister of Canada. At that time his father Pierre Elliot Trudeau was the Prime Minister. He had brought his children to work that day.

coralee7 thanked Jak Perth
  • Jak Perth
    7 years ago

The youngest of the Trudeau brothers was lost in an avalanche at the age of 23.

coralee7 thanked Jak Perth
  • outsideplaying_gw
    7 years ago

Back when I was doing a lot of traveling I would see some people of note on airplanes and airports a lot. I sat next to Coretta Scott King and Sam Donaldson on flights out of D.C. at different times. She was so nice. I remember he put tons of salt on everything. I was probably staring at that. It wasn't unusual to see various newscasters in the airport. Wolf Blitzer was a regular sighting. Ted Kennedy was another.

Danny Glover was sitting by himself in an airport waiting area once. One of the actors from 'Home Alone' (not Joe Pesci but the other wet bandit) was on a flight I was on. We used to ski a lot in Telluride and would almost always see Norman Schwarzkopf and his wife at a restaurant or in town there. Saw Tom Cruise and his buddies in town once. We were there before the Sundance Film Festival, and several celebs were beginning to arrive. I remember Amy Poehler was in town shopping when a friend and I were shopping one afternoon.

There have probably been others. We've met some band members along the way here and there. Most have been very nice. At least friendly.

coralee7 thanked outsideplaying_gw
  • User
    7 years ago

A couple years ago we were waiting for the immigration line at the Vancouver airport to open very early in the morning. In front of us were two older gentlemen who were talking ( maybe flirting just a little?) to a much younger woman traveling by herself. Apparently, all three were from Texas and were talking about cattle and Texas colleges and whatever. The lady looked familiar, but I couldn't place her, until they introduced themselves to each other just as the immigration line opened - Jim and Harvey ( I think) and Rene. Rene turned out to be Rene Zellwegger. I was surprised how pleasant she was with the seniors who had no clue who she was, and of course how pretty even at 5 in the morning with no makeup.

coralee7 thanked User
  • coralee7
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes she is pretty. Being nice makes her even prettier.

• sheesh
    7 years ago

I've not personally met any celebs, just vicariously through my husband. He has interviewed gobs of them one on one, from athletes to presidents and senators and governors to movie stars, musicians, director of the Smithsonian, doctors at CDC, authors, Golda Meier, and once a spy. He had an interesting career.

coralee7 thanked sheesh
  • peaceofmind
    7 years ago

My daughter and family moved to California a few years ago and when I went out to visit them I thought everyone I saw was a celebrity. I wouldn't even blink while I was in the LA airport for fear I'd miss one.

coralee7 thanked peaceofmind
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 years ago

not Joe Pesci but the other wet bandit

Daniel Stern. Still around, still working!

coralee7 thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • marilyn_c
    7 years ago

I met Gov Bill Clements about 35 yrs ago. Just didn't think of him as a celebrity. Louis Beam spent the night at my mother's house.....slept on her couch. She was Jewish, BTW, and they got along fine. (So you don't have to google Louis Beam, he was the Grand Dragon of the KKK and people think they hate Jews.)

coralee7 thanked marilyn_c
  • wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

I have never understood celebrity fandom. Celebrities are people who do a job, often for a lot of money. Some are truly talented and some not so much. Some got to where they are through family dynasties, some were discovered and simply marketed because they had the something that could be "sold" at the time. Some worked very hard to get to the top and others floated up the ladder through connections. There are many people who are just as or far more talented who simply were never in the right place or the right time for thier talent to be recognized or marketable. But they are simply human. They sleep, they eat, they do all the things we do everyday. Many suffer from mental health disorders leading to addictions and poor lifestyle choices. Sports figures have a short career and many suffer with physical disabilities for the rest of their lives ,some starting a very young age (Tara Lipinski). Models and actors starve themselves, endanger their health and undergo unnecessary surgical procedures to keep up with the "flavor of the day". So I just don't get why people get all googly eyed over them. Maybe I'm just a cynic and a bit jaded.

coralee7 thanked wildchild2x2
  • chisue
    7 years ago

Isn't the definition of a 'celebrity' someone famous for being famous?

coralee7 thanked chisue
  • mare_wbpa
    7 years ago

Several years ago I went to NYC with a friend and her son (Who wrote for an online entertainment magazine). We saw "In The Heights". My friends son had a friend in the cast, so we waited for him at the stage door after the performance. The friend happened to be Robin DeJesus, who was a 2 time Tony Award nominee. Friends son introduced us and as we stood talking at the stage door, Linn Manuel Miranda came out, and I was introduced to him by Robin. We all stood there talking for a few minutes. Linn was very personable. I met Robin several more times with my friends son on NYC trips to see Broadway shows, he's a real sweetheart.

coralee7 thanked mare_wbpa
  • sleeperblues
    7 years ago

The first celebrity I met was when I was 19 years old. I was with my brother and we were riding up an enclosed tram at a ski resort in Utah and there was this couple on there with us. We chatted, and when we got off my brother asked if I knew who that was? No clue. It was Terry Bradshaw and his then wife, Suzy something? I think she was an skier or skater athlete.

I got a kiss from Frank Sinatra when he was at a hotel I worked at when I was in college. I think he was doing a fundraiser for Ronald Reagan.

I met Apolo Anton Ohno when I was at a school board conference in Milwaukee. I asked him if he planned to skate in the next olympics, and got his autograph. He didn't know at that time if he would skate, but he did and won. He also won Dancing with the Stars after I met him. He's adorable.

coralee7 thanked sleeperblues
  • cynic
    7 years ago

Some I'd consider in the "friend" category: (The late) Rodger Kent (Radio/TV personality, businessman and was a very close friend for a lot of years), Barry Zevan (who I almost hired one time, a very interesting and cordial fellow) and Jesse Ventura (like him or not, a very intelligent man).

Others I've met: Baron von Raschke, Al De Rusha, Jim Brunzell (all of AWA and other wrestling fame), various other television and radio personalities. Met a number of broadcasters and production people at a monthly breakfast where both past and present TV folks would meet and shoot the breeze. Great time and tremendously interesting to people who were involved in and interested in broadcasting and production. (And they are/were not adverse to telling a few gossipy stories about other "personalities"!) A number of them were pioneers in broadcasting. There's really not a lot of "new" broadcasting, where, in the 40s, 50s, 60s etc, they were finding their way into the medium. Creating new shows, ideas and didn't have the special effects available today. Broadcasting was a passion for these people. They weren't just in it for a multi-million dollar contract like people are today.

coralee7 thanked cynic
  • Alisande
    7 years ago

Many. I used to work at Lincoln Center.

coralee7 thanked Alisande
  • dandyrandylou
    7 years ago

Many years ago, as he was walking very close to me, I had the opportunity to say "BOO!" to Peter Lorre, who stopped and said "Vot do you mean by sayink Boo to me!" with a chuckle.

coralee7 thanked dandyrandylou
  • coralee7
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Dandy that is funny