SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
farleymanagement

Seeking vine - that has no strong fragrance!

farleymanagement
7 years ago

I'm looking for advice please. I live in Southern California. I need a vine or plant to cover up a long and rather ugly fence on my hillside. There is a good irrigation system in place.

The catch is that I, and many of my neighbors, have allergies.

We currently have approximately 30 jasmine plants on the fence (way too many for the span of the fence) planted by a previous owner - and the scent is over-powering and causing terrible allergy issues. So I want to replace with something that is either free of fragrance or has very little fragrance.

Ideally something green in color. But I'd be fine with colors as long as there is no scent that torments the nose and eyes. If it requires minimal maintenance - that would be a big bonus. It would also be good if it wasn't wildly invasive. I understand that some vines and plants can eventually "strangle" trees in their path.

Two suggestions I've heard so far:

Ficus Pumila - also known as "Creeping Fig" or "Climbing Fig" "Creeping Ficus". I Upside seems to be that it grows well and the little green leaves apparently don't emit an allergy-causing fragrance. Downside is that it can be very invasive - and grow way beyond your intended location. I've read that it can develop long hardy roots - virtually indestructible - that can damage submerged pipes.

Dalechampia dioscoreifolia commonly known by several names "Bow Tie Vine", "Costa Rican Butterfly Vine", "Purple Wings". Apparently a purple bloom - but little perfume. Slightly lemon-y rather than floral. Which should be better in terms of allergens. Downside is that it is poisonous. (Which with toddlers and dogs on the street could be a liability issue!)

Any thoughts and experiences on those two plants - and other suggestions - most welcome!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County