SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newbierosarian

David Austin Fragrances

newbierosarian
15 years ago

Being relatively new to roses, I would like to confirm and enquire about the fragrances for the following David Austin roses growing in my garden:

'Brother Cadfael' - should this be a strong spicy and fruity scent? That's what I'm getting. David Austin advertises it as a strong 'old rose' fragrance so does that mean that old rose = spiced fruit. This one is especially strong.

'Pretty Jessica' (the bloom is far shallower a cup than pictures show) - I'm also getting a someonewhat fruity note on this and again David Asutin states that it has an 'old rose' fragrance.

'A Shropshire Lad' - can someone please confirm which scent I should be picking up from this? It is hard to describe and not particularly strong.

'Glamis Castle' - should this be the faint myrhh that I'm picking up?

'Sharifa Asma' - Pleasant but again, fruity.

'Graham Thomas' - slighly bitter tobacco and not much else.

Finally, with non-Austin roses:

'Alchymist' - I'd appreciate if someone could define this fragrance for me. Again I'm picking up fruit.

'Madame Gregoire Staechelin' - Sweetness personified. Yay!

When I planted my roses, what I really wanted was a distinctly sweet smell but other than my 'Glore de Dijon', 'Chartreuse de Parma' and 'M.G.S.' I'm not getting it yet. 'Evelyn' hasn't put out much whiff as yet and there are roses yet to bloom ('The Prince', 'Eglantyne', 'Golden Celebration', 'Falstaff', 'William Shakespeare 2000', 'Jubilee Celebration', 'Litchfield Angel', 'Claire Austin', 'Summer Song', 'St. Swithun', 'Princess Michael of Kent', Gertrude Jekyll', 'Spirit Of Freedom' and 'Fragrant Cloud') Do any of those hold pleasant surprises?

Comments (17)

• alisande
    15 years ago

Different people can perceive scents differently, so I don't know what to tell you about Gertrude Jekyll. But I can say that if you don't smell it, or smell it and don't like it, you and I have nothing in common. :-)

• monarda_gw
    15 years ago

To me the "old rose" smell -- of rose attar -- smells like soap! I think the fruity scent is a tea rose scent, myself. Then there is also a sweet scent that I sometimes see described as "musk". Then there is the clove scent that people discern in rugosa roses and in some hybrids like "Ivory Fashion." Most fragrant roses have a complex mix of all of these and some other fragrances, including beer (for some people -- or maybe beer smells like roses).

Of course it varies with weather conditions, time of day, and the nose of the person doing the smelling.

Just my 2 cents. I think St. Swithin is glorious myself (though I don't grow this) and to me Gertrude does have a distinctive old-rose scent. But I have also found that things smell differently (and sometimes not as good) in own's own garden than in botanic gardens or the nursery. I have sometimes wondered if being confined in a small pot and starved for nutrients could alter (improve?) the scent. Also, roses from the current year's growth might look and smell differently from those on older wood. I won't even mention the blunting effect of air pollution.

• Related Discussions

Comments on Princess Anne and Skylark - new D. Austins?

Q

Comments (13)
    caldon, Uploading pics if easy. First, get a free account at photobucket.com and follow their easy directions for uploading your pics to their site. Then run your mouse down below the picture and click on the HTML CODE. Finally, paste that HTML CODE into the message box on this site, click on PREVIEW, and you should be able to see your picture. You can type before and after the picture. You can also insert any number of HTML CODES one right after another. Hope that helps. Kate
    ...See More

Best David Austin’s for continuous blooming

Q

Comments (52)
    I’ve been wondering if I should have gotten Darcey Bussel instead of Munstead Wood. MW is said to be much more fragrant, but in my garden it is only fragrant when conditions are just right. It’s an okay bloomer, but flowers lose their form, size and color in the heat of summer. The flowers crisp quickly in our dry summer heat. The spring and fall flowers are wonderful though. Sheila, do you have a MW? If so, how does it compare to DB? Stephanie? Bishop’s Castle would happily grow to 6 feet in my garden if well irrigated. I keep mine rather dry and the flowers are smaller, but it mostly stays about 4 feet and bushy. When the late summer monsoons come and the weather cools down, it shoots up taller basals that get pruned down in the winter.
    ...See More

James L. Austin - David Austin Rose - N. FL

Q

Comments (4)
    What a lovely row of JA. I like the lavenders in there too. I just got this rose from our local rose society. So glad it is so beautiful!
    ...See More

David Austin’s Fair Bianca

Q

Comments (8)
    I do not grow Fair Bianca and I hope someone who does comments here soon. I do however grow a good variety of David Austin roses and very very few are blackspot resistant enough in the south to be grown no spray. I specially love white roses and I am always looking for healthy ones. I am pretty certain I do not have her because the reviews have not been stellar. The best “near whites” Austins I grow no spray are Desdemona and Lichfield Angel and Claire Austin. I also grow tranquility which gets more blackspot that the other two but it is very vigorous and makes good blooms for cutting. I do not have a good picture of Claire because it was new this year, but it stayed very very clean. Desdemona Tranquility Lichfield Angel is excellent Fair Bianca does look gorgeous and I hope someone else can give you some good news. If you end up trying it please let me know how she does for you.
    ...See More
  • bamabutterfly
    15 years ago

This is my first year to plant Austins and I must say, their scent has NOT been disappointing! The ones I have,(listed in order of best fragrance) are:

1. Evelyn: Hands down, most scrumptious fragrance I have ever experienced from a rose, so far. the blooms are so beautiful.
    2. Golden Celebration: this rose is SO Gorgeous and smells WONDERFUL!!....may be my favorite rose
    3. Gertrude Jekyll: tied with GC, and the scent is wonderful!! plus its a blooming machine! (GJ was planted last of all these austins, but was the first one to bloom this year...go figure)
    4. Alnwick rose: wonderful fragrance and beautiful blooms.
    5. Benjamin Britten: exceptionally good fragrance and a great rose...most gorgeous when in full bloom of all my austins so far.

6. Teasing Georgia: beautiful blooms and great fragrance
    7. Queen of Sweden: blooms are gorgeous, fragrance so-so
    8. Charlotte: hasn't bloomed yet

also, the non-Austins (I only have two):
    I love the scent of Maggie...by far my favorite OGR scent.
    Gruus an Aachen....great rose and the scent is WONDERFUL!!!!

However, all but Gruus an Aachen were planted in APRIL 2008, so I feel pretty lucky to have all these blooms to even be talking about :) I'm looking forward to them as they become more mature....also, so far the only one I've had to spray was Evelyn, but she was SO well worth it. I would love to have a whole garden of Evelyns!!!

Michelle

• triple_b
    15 years ago

I am coming across alot of roses with a citrusy-scent. Not all Austins, though. Radio Times had the citrus thing going on and I am told Madame Hardy has citrus (waiting for her blooms). My PJP II is supposed to have lemon in the scent. Yes I too am seeking the pure "Old Rose" scent so I can put a label on it in my mind.

I am eagerly awaiting the Jude the Obscure at my friend's place to bloom so I can experience this scent everyone raves about.

• bamabutterfly
    15 years ago

Being inexperienced at this, triple b, I think after reading your post that Benjamin Britten has a citricy-scent. Whatever you call it, it has a clean, fresh smell to it that is great, kinda like fresh washed sheets. The DA catalog describes it, "intensely fruity, with aspects of wine and pear drops".....hey, I better go get another whiff of that! (*.*)
    I have heard about the fragrance of Jude the Obscure too, its definitely on my list for next year....it must be something else.

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

When all my Zepherine Drouhins are in bloom my yard smells gorgeous---Also my rambler Albertine--just delicious.

Constance Spry is very pretty but her fragrance is described as myrrh and I don't care for it---I think KO has a nice fragrance and some people can't even smell it---
    I guess it is just a matter of what you like.

Florence--

• robiniaquest
    15 years ago

I don't grow any of your other Austins, but to my nose Gertrude Jekyll has one of the sweetest, most intense rose fragrances out there. In my garden, I rank it second only to Mme. Ernest Calvat (whose fragrance is perhaps less sweet, but more penetrating), and ahead of Mme. Isaac Pereire. Well ahead of Louise Odier and Comte de Chambord (it's parent). These and Jude the Obscure are the most fragrant roses in my garden, but Jude's fragrance is not as sweet as it is citrusy - strong and wonderful, though.

As for myrrh fragrances, I used to really dislike those. And the musk scent too. But this year I'm starting to appreciate them somewhat. Similarly, I used to think the tea and apple scented roses had virtually no fragrance, but now I'm enjoying those quite a bit. I think in the perfumista world people speak of "training" their noses, so you may be able to evaluate those others better as time goes on. I can't smell KO at all - didn't know it had a fragrance. Florence, you must have a great nose.

BTW, I admire your Austin collection. You must be enjoying yourself immensely right about now. :) Good luck!

- robinia

• gnabonnand
    15 years ago

I really can not accurately describe the scent on my Heritage. It is unique and I like it, but I can't really say what it is.

I'm not saying these are the "strongest" fragrances, but my nose thinks they are the "best" ... Duchesse de Brabant (fruity scent), Gruss an Aachen / Pink Gruss (a gently sweet and incredibly fresh scent), & Golden Celebration (fruit mixed with other delicious stuff).

Randy

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

'Evelyn' smells like peaches and citrus, a really wonderful fragrance.

• blendguy
    15 years ago

I love William Shakespeare 2000, smells like Old Rose to me. Same for The Prince. Sister Elizabeth less strongly, but also very nice.

Jude the Obscure smells like citrus, and I love, love, love it.

Comtes de Champagne smells sweet, if caught at the right time.

Molineux smells just like tea to me.

St. Cecelia is another one that I love, and I don't understand why it isn't mentioned more often. It's myrrh based, but so delicious I can't keep my nose away from it.

Tamora, another myrrh based one with fruit notes I like a lot, but strangely, found Evelyn less impressive.

I'm one of those that just doesn't "get" Gertrude Jekyll, it's mild and just okay to me. Go figure.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    15 years ago

My rose scent perception is definitely "challenged". I just don't pick up rose fragrance as well as those from other plants.

I detect the fragrance from lilacs, Korean Spice viburnum and butterfly bushes quite easily. And consistently.

I don't think I pick up tea scent at all. Molineux has no scent. I can smell the myrrh in Scepter'd Isle and the myrrh blend of Tamora. William Shakespeare 2000 seems fragrant sometimes. Rotes Meer is probably the only rose which is consistently fragrant to me.

Strangely, I often detect a very sweet cherry kool-aid smell from Knock Out. Sheer numbers of blooms may be the key.

• jumbojimmy
    15 years ago

Gertrude Jekyll - very sweetish and smells like the tropical fruit, Lychee.

A Shropshire Lad - in autumn, the scent is very strong, pleasant and fruity in a sunny position. However, in a shady area, the scent is medium. I think this rose prefers cooler conditions - the blooms last longer that way, otherwise they would fade fast in the heat.

Sharifa Asma - I don't like this rose, sorry to say that. I prefer roses that have this arching habit or lax (ie Heritage, A Shropshire Lad). The scent is almost like Heritage, but stronger.

• newbierosarian
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I had another whiff of 'Sharifa Asma'. The fragrance has matured (it wasn't as complex in the opening bloom) and now it smells amazing! I can detect the same notes that David Austin claims it has; white grape and mulberry. A wonderfully sophisticated scent.

I'm also waiting for 'Benjamin Britten' to bloom. The remaining roses in my garden are ' The Mayflower', 'Abraham Darby' and 'Crown Princess Margarita'.

• newbierosarian
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Glamis Castle's scent seems to come and go. If you sniff the rose for too long, you lose it.

Crown Princess Margarita doesn't smell fruity to me at all; it smells very much like the tea fragrance I would expect of Graham Thomas, but it doesn't last long.

I agree, now that Golden Celebration has bloomed, it does smell exquisite.

Evelyn is the one that I WANT to be stronger. I have smelled another plant that I used to have and it was wonderful but I can only pick up hints of that scent on the current rose bush. Beautiful flowers though!

The Prince - smells spicy. Benjamin Britten - I can specifically pick out the whiff of pear drops! Abraham Darby has a scent that can turn unpleasant in a second.

• triple_b
    15 years ago

I had the privledge this evening of taking some nice long whiffs of Constance Spry. She is 'eating' my friend's house. I brought a bloom home, at the owner's invitation and my husband said it smells 'like cream' as in lotion-y.
    Not that I have a problem with citrus scent but that seems to be all I have been smelling lately. Creamy was a nice change.
    By the way, which rose is often described as smelling like baby powder? That interests me too.

• teach
    15 years ago

I always thought Mme. Isaac Pereire the strongest old rose scent, then Comte de Chambord, and then I added Yolande D'Aragon which matched Mme. I.P. This year, in his third year, William Shakespeare 2000 finally had a strong scent; and Sidonie is beating out Mme. I.P., with Duchesse de Rohan, which I don't remember being said to be that strong, equalling Sidonie.

Mr. Lincoln is one of the few H.T.s that I think has a fairly strong smell, and it is the old damask scent, although my only (non Portland damask) damask, La Ville de Bruxelles, hasn't bloomed yet, so I can't compare her. I don't remember her having a strong damask scent at all.

Others say my Enfant de France has a strong scent but not so to me. September Morn, a 1913 HT, from memory has a strong scent but hasn't bloomed yet this year.

My sole Alba, Felicite Parmentier, is fragant but doesn't match the others.

• len511
    15 years ago

newbierosarian, I always thought you had to be right upon a rose or within close proximity to smell them. I have a good many roses in the front yard. This spring in the peak flush, i thought it was cool when the rose smell hit me when i walked out the front door and came in the house from the open windows. But after a couple of days it started making me nauseas. I hope it was just an unusual year. I think if i had to do it all over again I would just plant a couple of fragrant roses and the rest with none. I thought maybe the primary offenders were the 2 autumn damasks, but as i smelled all the roses i think they all contributed. don't get me wrong, i love the smell of roses, but it sure makes me appreciate those that either don't smell or have a faint smell.