SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kentrees12

My Dog Ryan

kentrees12
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Since so many around the table are animal people, and rescues and older animals are often discussed, I thought I'd talk about my dog Ryan. I've had several dogs in my life, the first being a Labrador puppy I raised as a kid, and several others that were 'gifts'.

It's been a long time since I've had a dog, probably 20 or more years. About a year after my wife's passing, I mentioned to my youngest son that I was considering getting a Lab puppy to keep me company and as a walking companion. Although I'm raising my great grandson, he's in school most of the year most of the day, and he spends time at his g-ma's house, so I'm alone a lot. He's a dog and cat person, so when I mentioned I was thinking of a dog, he was all for it.

I was at my stepdaughters house for Thanksgiving dinner 2015, which hadn't been eaten yet, and I get a dog thrust into my hands by my son. "It's a black Labrador, like you wanted" says son. "No it isn't" says I, looking at the big white blaze on his chest, longish body, fairly light build and recurved tail. I had no choice but to return home sans turkey dinner. So into the car dog and I go, him in the front seat where I can keep an eye on him, he sitting there giving me cow eyes all the way home. I was not amused, to put it mildly.

We get home, I snap on his lead, and into the house we go. Inside I remove the lead, and dog promptly leaves me a puddle. No problem, I figure he's nervous, so I give him a pat on the head and head for the paper towels and Fabreze. We walk around the kitchen, into the living room, where the couch is eyed, and a prompt 'no' keeps him from jumping. On down the hall to my bedroom where in a flash he's on my bed and just as fast he's off with a sharp 'no'! Well, he listens. I spend the evening watching TV, dog by my chair giving me cow eyes. Bedtime, off to bed, dog sleeps at the foot of the bed, snoring all night. Morning comes, we pad down the hall and dog sits at the door, giving me cow eyes. I open the door, out he goes, and I close the door. I put the coffee on, there's a bark at the door, and I let dog in, where he sits in front of me, looks up at me and gives me cow eyes.

And so our adventure begins.

After a couple days I call my son and get some info. The dog was left at a boarding kennel in the next county by a woman who was taking a short trip and would be back in a day, two at the most. She left a name and local number, but never returned. The kennel was unable to get hold of the owner and it had been over a month, so the dog was going to the local shelter. They gladly gave him to my son who promised a good home.

It wasn't long that I decided to keep the dog, so off to the vet we go. I didn't have a clue as to what shots he had or hadn't, although the kennel was told he was up to date. The vet examined him and declared him in excellent health and condition. Blood and stool negative for parasites. Got all required and necessary shots, flea collar, check for micro, which he had, and off we go. Called the chip company and found out he was originally chipped in Charleston SC, is 3 years old (now 5 or so), and his name is Bentley. They called the owner of record and got no response. My grandson renamed him Ryan, which is his middle name. In a day or so he was answering to his new name.

To back up a bit. A day after I got Ryan I took him out off lead to see how he would react. I've got acreage so lots of room to run, and so he did. But not too far. Not knowing his name I called 'COME'. He immediately ran to me and sat on my left and gave me cow eyes. A few more commands and it was obvious he had had obedience training. So I've gotten a dog that is house broken and obedience trained. Oh, the puddle that first night, that was the one and only time he's done anything in the house.

Today Ryan is a family member. He adores my grandson, who tells me Ryan is really my dog, he likes me better, and grandson is right. Ryan goes with me everywhere. He loves riding in the car, up front. He goes most places with me, and waits patiently for my return, often keeping the driver's seat warm. He's obsessed with fetching, often dragging branches bigger than he is out of the woods to have me play fetch with. He can't stay out of the creek, I guess that's the lab in him.

I've toyed with getting Ryan a companion, a puppy that will grow up with him and be a comfort to him as he grows into old age. Already I see a white hair here and there, a shame that a dogs life is so short. I've not made a decision yet, but one thing's for sure, my son will never know I'm considering another until the deed is done.

Ken

Comments (26)