SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srb2398061

Does no one understand what "appropriately dressed" means anymore?

Anglophilia
7 years ago

I just came back from the visitation of an friend who died on Sunday. I was rather surprised at the informality of the attire worn by the family of the woman who died. No, I do NOT expect them to be in full mourning garb like the Kennedy women were at JFK's funeral, but jeans and sweatshirts on the grandchildren and very casual attire on her children who are in their 50's and 60's? All of these people are college graduates with good jobs so it's not like they're too poor to own anything better.

I put on a dress for this and even struggled into panty hose (for those of a certain age, it IS a struggle!). I know - I'm clearly a dinosaur but surely a bit more decorum might be a nice touch. I know they all loved this woman very much, but I also know she always made a real effort to dress nicely, even for pulmonary rehab. She had been an officer at a local bank and was always so attractively dressed, as was her husband (who was wearing a suit).

And then there was the casket...it was open. And her husband was standing right beside it so seeing could not be avoided. In my part of the country, unless one is an Episcopalian, "open casket" is how things are done. I'm sure my aversion to this custom goes back to having been forced to "kiss Grand Dad goodbye" in the casket, when I was 5 years old! And then the main source of conversation afterwards is always "She looked good" or "Didn't look much like Bill".

I know I should lighten up but to me, it just seems so disrespectful. Many years ago, while in London, I bought a tiny little Halcyon Days enamel box. It's only about the size of a nickel, but I loved what it said on the top: "Trifles show respect".

Comments (131)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County