SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantslayer

So what exactly does 'water consistently' mean?

plantslayer
13 years ago

Hello everyone,

As most people know, tomatoes don't like 'wet feet'. Most people here and on other forums recommend watering tomatoes maybe once every week or so except in extremely hot or dry weather, and watering them deeply when you do. The reasoning for this is to make the roots system develop by having to grow deeper in order to find water, I believe. However, it seems like a lot of the ag extension information I read tells me to water the plants 'consistently', presumably meaning that I should not let the plants get too dry, as this can make them produce less, drop blossoms, become more susceptible to disease, etc.

Some times I feel like all of this information is a bit contradictory; here are the main points I am confused about:

1) Tomatoes don't like 'wet feet', but doesn't watering them very heavily all at once, even if only do this once every 5 days or more, give them 'wet feet' for a while at least? I understand that drainage is a factor here...

2) It is important to water 'consistently', but if I follow the common regimen of watering not very often, but very deeply when I do, isn't that not very 'consistent'? I know that other crops such as squash and cucumbers do not like this, what about tomatoes?

3) Is developing a strong root system necessarily better for the plants if it is being stressed between watering? The end goal is to get the most fruit possible, not the most roots, after all.

I am not trying to stir up a controversy here, I am simply trying to understand what I should aim for when I water my plants. Thanks for the advice!

Comment (1)