SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_c

So many possums...so few possum recipes

marilyn_c
7 years ago

That is a quote from my husband, actually. It's a joke. We don't eat possums...although he may have...growing up he was very poor. The shelter called me the other day to pick up 8 babies. When I got there, they were so small, they never would have survived. Their mouths were still partly fused. They had no hair at all. They said they would put them down. Then got six tonight that were orphaned because their mother was killed by a dog. They are a little bigger...at least have hair and their eyes are just open. They aren't doing good though. It took me 45 minutes to feed them. Shouldn't have taken more than ten, because I tube feed them, but they wouldn't open their mouths. Usually a little yogurt on the tube does the trick and at least by the 2nd time, they are much more compliant. I was asked to participate in some kind of a program on the 25th, about rescue animals, as part of wildlife rescue. I would bring a possum and talk about possums. Easy enough, except I don't have any that are gentle to handle but maybe I will have some time to tame one of the babies a little. They also asked me to bring Val and give a talk about horse rescue. Not sure if I will do that or not. Haven't decided. This is to benefit the group that I work with.

In other possum news....two years ago, I raised a male possum and he was very unhappy in a cage, so as soon as I could, I moved him outside to a big cage, preparing to release him in a couple of days. The first night he was out, a raccoon reached through the cage, grabbed him and bit his tail off. He almost bled to death. I had to keep him until he healed then, but unfortunately, when they lose their tail, it never really heals. The stump never dries up. So I ended up keeping him for a year and a half. He no longer wanted to leave, although I left the door open for him many times. Finally, I picked him up and put him out. He was about a year and a half old...so that is getting old for a possum. they have very short life spans. I didn't see him for months, and then, I saw him eating with the raccoons. I was surprised to see him. I would watch for him every night and when I could get close to him, I'd give him some yogurt or chicken hearts or something. He wasn't very tame though, and seldom could I get him away from the raccoons so I could feed him separately.

Meanwhile, another possum I raised and released came almost every night and I fed her on top of the cages. I released another male possum. A few nights after releasing him, I heard a possum hissing. I went to investigate, and the old tail-less possum had the young male possum's entire head in his mouth. The old possum was really looking bad last time I had gotten up close to him, but he jumped on the young male and I couldn't get him to let go. I picked him up but he still hung on. I tried to pry his mouth open....although I was careful because they have such power in their jaws, he could have cut my finger off. I have been bit many times but usually it is a snap. They don't hang on...but I could feel him bearing down harder when I tried to pry his mouth open. In desperation, I hit him with my flashlight. It is a cheap flashlight and it fell apart. That left me in total darkness, except for light from the porch. I decided I would drop him in a waterlily tank and see if the cold water would make him let go...so I picked him up and carried him to the tank....he was still holding onto the other possum. Just before I got there, he let go, and I let go and they both ran off. In the same direction.

I put the flashlight back together, but I couldn't find the young one, but he did show up a night or so later, and I could see a mark all the way around his face where he had been bit by the old possum. Actually, he looked no worse for the wear and was eating, so I quit worrying about him. I wouldn't have been able to catch him any way.

I tell all that to tell this....my girl possum that comes to be fed on the cages almost every night, came tonight and has babies in her pouch. Going by the size, she couldn't have babies by the young possum....they have to be by the old possum. (Those are the only two male possums here. I never see any possums, except the ones I have raised and often when you release them, they get the hell out of Dodge. These just decided to stay.) Who knew the old man had it in him? Anyway, that's all. 8-)

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!