SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coralee7

Are you afraid of dogs?

coralee7
7 years ago

When I was young a large dog jumped at me knocking me down and blood ran down my face. I was just standing there as my mother was talking to the lady. An other time i was bitten on the ankle as I rode my bike. That dog came from nowhere and really terrifyed me.
So I do like dogs but I am a bit uneasy with them sometimes.

Comments (48)

• Lindsey_CA
    7 years ago

When I was a child, the one and only year that I had to ride a bus to and from school I was bitten on the leg while waiting at the bus stop in the morning. The dog that bit me was always getting into trouble for running around loose, but his owners wouldn't do anything to attempt to control him. My leg bled like crazy but it healed without a bad scar. There were a bunch of us kids waiting for the bus, and the dog just suddenly appeared and chose me for breakfast. I have been wary of large dogs ever since. I don't particularly like small dogs, either, as a friend of ours had two small dogs that yipped constantly and had a habit of jumping on you or trying to hump your leg, etc.

That was the same year that on the way home from school one day, some kid on the bus threw up on my foot. The bus was a few feet from coming to a stop at the bus stop where I got off. If that kid had waited just 5 seconds longer I would have been out of his range.

I have hated buses ever since, and, in fact, I think I've only ridden any type of bus twice since then and it has been more than 50 years...

coralee7 thanked Lindsey_CA
  • colleenoz
    7 years ago

I too was bitten (by a neighbour's dog which was the terror of the neighbourhood) as a child but we mostly had dogs as pets when I was a child (including Great Danes) so I'm not afraid of dogs generally. But I do know how to tell if a dog is being aggressive and avoid those ones.

coralee7 thanked colleenoz
  • Related Discussions

Be afraid - be very afraid!!!

Q

Comments (36)
    Interesting points Bboy, some of the big nursery sellers around here turned out to be friggin' weeds - like Norway maples, shrub honeysuckle, and Multiflora rose - they practically propagate themselves! Kind of like the fast food of the plant world. I think someone who advocates growing exclusively native plants is an extremist (although combining the word "nazi" with "native plant" is the other extreme). People like to grow exotics and that's not going to change. I take a moderate position and grow mostly natives but also grow non-invasive exotics like Lilacs, Daffodils, Peonies, etc. These are beautiful plants, easy to grow, and unlikely to take over the countryside any time soon. IMO it's well worth trying to control invasive species. What should people do, just roll over and let them spread rampantly until that's all that grows in the wild? It may not be possible to completely eradicate invasive plants that have become widespread in wild areas, but who knows - biological or other improved methods of control may be developed someday, that could eradicte or bring invasive species back into balance. Hopefully people will learn from experience and determine more efficient plans of attack for controlling invasive plants in the future.
    ...See More

Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid

Q

Comments (5)
    It was much cooler here yesterday by the bay; upper 70's - low 80's tops, but there's still a surprising amount of green around. I'm thankful for the moderating effects of the bay on temperature fluctuation. I can't say I'm afraid, but I'm very uneasy. I also wonder about the effect on the damage that will be done by winter moth caterpillars. If there's an early hatch of caterpillars and they infect the buds, and then colder weather delays leaf opening, there may be plenty of time for the caterpillars to pretty much destroy the leaf tissue in the unopened buds. The glass is half empty. Claire
    ...See More

Dog afraid of fireworks

Q

Comments (8)
    Oh gosh, our old dog who is no longer with us, was horrible at fireworks time, so I can sympathize. One year the neighbors fireworks had him so upset that he busted through the screen door, busted through the fence gate (that was normally very secure) and was off running. We did find him but it took several hours, was very scarey. The lab we have now, doesn't like fireworks either. Last year she pooped in the house (which she never does), on the 4th of July... I assumed it was because she was afraid of the noise - again our neighbors like to shoot off a bunch of stuff. I try not to get anxious myself and I make a point of not rewarding any anxious behavior either. If your dog is scared and panicking, don't pet him or pamper him as that encourages the behavior. This year, I am going to keep the dogs in the basement on the fourth, to help keep them from noise. We have a family room in the basement and their crates and dog dishes are there. I think being in the basement is quieter than upstairs and we will keep the TV on real loud as some white noise. I haven't heard of the anxiety wrap before. We may just try that also...
    ...See More

My dog is afraid of the outdoors

Q

Comments (25)
    ...I don't make her stay out or confront her fears.Once she starts getting upset I put her inside... Debbie, this is exactly why this issue is not getting better. You are rewarding her upset-behavior by letting her get what she wants (back inside). In the future you need to not let her back inside until she is calm. You can accomplish this a number of ways. If it were my dog, I would bring a small handful of kibble or dog treats out with me, allow her to go potty, reward her for going potty, and then do a training session (sit, down, stay, etc.), until she was paying attention to me and not "upset". Once she was calm, I would just return to the door, not making a big deal about it, call her to "come" and go in, like it was no big deal. Make the lenght of time calm-before-going-inside longer and longer. This will not happen quickly, and you may have to stay outside for some minutes before she calms down. Also, do not make the mistake of trying to pet her/console her until she is calm, because this is also rewarding the unwanted state of mind (if I am upset, "mom" will pet me). I hope this helps you. I, too have a very fearful dog and this method has worked well for me.
    ...See More
  • amylou321
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

No. I've been bitten a couple times. Once by a beagle,and once by a tiny little demon mutt of no discernable breed. Ive also been scratched to shreds by cats, chased by one of my sisters chickens,and attacked by a random bird who kept dive bombing me while i was walking one of my pitties in the park,whist ever so helpful fellow walkers yelled such helpful tidbits such as,"I think shes got babies!" And "She's attacking you because you have a dog with you!" Thanks,now how bout grabbing a stick or something? However, isolated incidents like that in my life have never managed to instill a fear of a whole species in me. If i came face to face with an unleashed, unattended,snarling 200 pound beast,i might fear that particular dog,but in general, no. I love dogs. But I understand why someone who has been bitten would be uneasy around them.

I once watched an episode of the dog whisperer where a grown,250 plus pound muscle bound man was reduced to tears when they brought him around a pit bull puppy because he was bitten as a child,and was terrified. I mean,this puppy couldn't have been more than 6 or 8 weeks old,and the man was shaking and sobbing in fear of it.

ETA: Sorry it was an episode of "My extreme animal phobia "

coralee7 thanked amylou321
  • Annegriet
    7 years ago

I am only afraid of pit bulls and mastiffs.

coralee7 thanked Annegriet
  • wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

My mother was extremely afraid of dogs. I guess she passed the fear on to me. As a child I was absolutely terrified of even the smallest dog. I was afraid to walk or ride my bike to school for fear of coming across a dog.

Oddly. the one exception was a sweet Dobie that lived at a summer rental I lived with my grandmother one summer.

By the rime I was 10 I was OK around some dogs but only the calm quiet ones that left one alone. A year later a friend showed me a littler of puppies her neighbor had. I fell in love with a little spaniel/terrier mix. That became my first dog. My mother got used to her eventually also. I could tell funny stories about that process. LOL

From then on I lost all fear of dogs. Today I take am partial to the goofiest, most hard headed, strong willed dogs. I am a big dog person. Give me the Black Labs, Shepherds, Bullmastiffs and Rotties to work with and I am in heaven. My current work in progress is my Rottie. She is stubborn, willful, alpha, and the smartest dog I've had. She is turning into a great dog I can take anywhere. But it's taken a lot of battles of will to get there.

coralee7 thanked wildchild2x2
  • arkansas girl
    7 years ago

I love dogs but I would never go up to a strange dog unless I had to for some reason. I realize they can all bite. I've only been bitten once in my entire life and that was a tiny little chihuahua that belonged to my sister. She was so protective of her and she had this weird habit of nipping you if you were walking away. I'm sure she was a puppy mill dog purchased from a pet shop at the mall.

amylou, I saw that episode with a huge burly man that was scared to death of that teeny tiny little puppy. Either the whole thing was made up or the guy had some seriously insane phobia. I couldn't even bear to watch to the end if he ever could touch that little puppy. The whole thing was just too stupid to watch. If it was real, I do feel sorry for the guy because he was seriously messed up!

coralee7 thanked arkansas girl
  • lucillle
    7 years ago

Dogs have teeth and in certain circumstances they can defend either themselves, their puppies, or their people from perceived dangers. When one meets a dog for the first time one is not entirely sure of what it is perceiving.

Size or breed is not an indicator that a certain dog is harmless or has had a socialized background or been taught social niceties. So perhaps the word fear should be replaced with the word 'respect', because fear may not, sometimes, be rational, but it is always appropriate to respect a dog, just as you would a person, and that may mean approaching it carefully and not touching it until you know more about how it might perceive your touch.

And like the dog who met Lindsey, you can end up taking the rap for someone else's mishandling of a dog. So giving an unknown dog space and respect is rational because they can hurt you.

coralee7 thanked lucillle
  • aok27502
    7 years ago

No, I love dogs. I have a healthy respect for dogs I don't know, and give them wide berth if they're unaccompanied. If their owners are there, I'll ask before addressing the dog.

I've never been bitten or attacked, but I was scared witless by a friend's dog a few years ago. She was visiting her parents with her English bulldog (RIP, Dudley). We walked into the house and started up the stairs to the main level. The dog was at the top of the stairs, and about the time I reached eye level with him, he started barking and growling at me. No clue what that was about, "he's never done that before". She got him pulled away, but I was shaken.

coralee7 thanked aok27502
  • User
    7 years ago

I love dogs and have owned dogs for 20 years, but am also wary knowing they can bite. I'm actually more afraid for my dogs getting attacked vs. me getting attacked.

I also think I'm more aware of not just walking up to any dog or getting in their face because of all the training I've gone through with my dogs.

I was bit when I was 2, but don't remember. My family owned a dog when I was 5-7 years old, but it attacked my little friend and I'm still traumatized by that.

Funny someone brought up cat attacks. YES! I've been attacked my my cats and still have scars.

coralee7 thanked User
  • coralee7
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Scott, you make a very valid point. I know that my apprehension is a result of past negative experience.

• Adella Bedella
    7 years ago

I have a fear of larger size untrained dogs. We lived in the country growing up. People let the dogs roam freely and they often weren't trained. They would jump up on us. It scared me. I like dogs, but I don't like to see them out off leash just walking around. There are certain dog breeds that I'd rather not see as pets. While some people are responsible owners, I prefer not to deal with the ones who aren't.

coralee7 thanked Adella Bedella
  • marilyn_c
    7 years ago

Not at all....however I do not pet other people's dogs. My dad had to take rabies shots when he was young and he instilled that in me. If I know a dog, I may pet it a little but I don't go all crazy like some people do. I never make a fuss over it. I guess I have enough dogs of my own to pet. If I see someone with a cute dog out somewhere, like Petsmart, I may stop and say a few words to the owner, but I will never touch the dog, which isn't from a fear of being bit, but I just don't have any desire to pet the dog.

coralee7 thanked marilyn_c
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    7 years ago

No, I'm really not, although I can be cautious around a large dog I haven't been introduced to. I was bitten as a child too - young enough its not a complete memory but I'd gone with my dad to someplace on the river where there was a boat shop of some kind, and I was trying to play with a dog outside. It bit me in the face, no scars but I did have black eye and my mother was furious. ;0) We always had dogs, they weren't foreign to me.

A couple of years ago a friend of ours had a girlfriend who has chickens. They were going out of town for the weekend and asked us to put the chickens in at dusk and feed them, water her outside container plants, make sure the dog and cat had food and water. She has a Rottweiler that isn't penned or contained, that placed itself between me and the chicken coop barking hysterically, protecting 'her' flock from a stranger. DH had treats in the truck and was able to distract the dog, by not making eye contact with it and just going about my business I was able to take care of the chickens and get the heck out of dodge. The dog and I did become more friendly later on days her owner was home.

coralee7 thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    7 years ago

I am leery of my dogs I don't know, especially dogs that are running loose. And even more so if my dogs are with me. I have respect for dogs and don't usually touch any dog I don't know well. I have had two cats killed in front of me by dogs, so I am not a huge fan although I love my dogs. There are too many irresponsible dog owners in my opinion.

coralee7 thanked murraysmom Zone 6a OH
  • coralee7
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OMG! Murraysmom that is just horrible. If that happened to me I would need therapy.

• User
    7 years ago

I'm actually quite terrified of dogs. I was bitten in the face by a friend's sheltie, and my daughter was bitten on the arm (which she was using to protect her face) by a neighbor's Lab when she was four. I hate dogs. HATE them.

coralee7 thanked User
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    7 years ago

No, I really like dogs, but do not go out of my way to pet dogs I do not know. I used to share my home with a Rottweiler. She was the sweetest and smartest dog ever. She never cared much for men. She never did bite anyone though.

Sue

coralee7 thanked Marilyn Sue McClintock
  • User
    7 years ago

I don't trust any dog because I've had several bad experiences. My mother witnessed two dogs kill our cat in our backyard and had to hide the fact as she got us off to school so we weren't upset at school. A neighbor kid sicced his German shepherd on our cat, trapping him in a corner between the house and chimney. I screamed at him to stop but the neighbor just laughed. My cat swiped at the dog, opening a long cut on his nose.

When my son was young, we were riding our bikes and a dog came running out from a yard and bit his leg, tearing his pants and breaking the skin. Another time we were walking down a public street in a rural area when we came to a house that had a Rottweiler on the porch. He growled at us and we were afraid to move. My husband picked up a stick and kept telling the dog to stay on the porch as my son and I backtracked slowly down the road.

I've only ever seen a person terrified of a dog. I lived in an apartment complex and was at the playground with my son when a loose dog came into the area. One of the boys got hysterical and took off running. About an hour later, his mother came looking for him. We searched the complex and found him in a stairwell that had a closed door. He was still crying.

coralee7 thanked User
  • DawnInCal
    7 years ago

I love dogs, but when meeting a new dog, I let them set the pace of the introduction. I've seen people run up to dogs and grab them or stick their hands right in their faces with no idea of how the dog will react. For me, the calm quiet approach has always worked.

The one breed I'm uncomfortable around is German shepherds. When I was eight, I was chased and knocked off of my bike by the neighbor's German shepherd. Once he had me on the ground, he stood over me with his face inches from mine barking and growling at me. I was frozen with fear (which may have saved me) and I can't remember what stopped the attack. The neighbor may have called him off or maybe he just left on his own, but that incident is still one of my most vivid memories from childhood.

I know that there are many wonderful German shepherds out there and that my fear is irrational, but things like that stick with a person and can be hard to overcome.

coralee7 thanked DawnInCal
  • User
    7 years ago

Sometimes, it's the dog owners out there who are the most clueless about approaching a new dog. They think because they have dogs and are comfortable around them that looking your dog directly in the eye or going face to face all kissy kissy is a good idea.
    My secret is to have treats in my hand and offer them to a new dog if the owner is OK with it.

coralee7 thanked User
  • caflowerluver
    7 years ago

Only German Shepherds because I was attacked by one when I was 10 YO. I was just walking by when he attacked me from behind, picked me up and shook me like a toy. He had to be beaten off of me by the owner. I had several bite marks. He later attacked a 3YO child and had to be put down. Something was wrong with that dog. Even though it has been 55 years, I still don't feel comfortable around GS.

I don't have a problem with any other breed of dogs, even Rotties, Pittbulls and Dobermans. Though I wouldn't go up to any strange dog without their owners being present.

I fear cats more overall, even ones owned by family. My older brother had a crazy attack cat that didn't like anyone and would attack you if you were just sitting on the sofa not doing anything. It would bite and scratch, then he would yell at it and it would run and hide. He though it was funny. I was in my teens at the time. I stopped visiting him at his home because of that cat. When they had kids, the cat hid in the space between the basement and first floor and only came out late at night to eat and use the box. That's where it lived for several years till it died. I guess that could be why I'm not a big fan of cats and will never have one as a pet.

coralee7 thanked caflowerluver
  • gyr_falcon
    7 years ago

No, unless they show signs of being a danger. But I'm developing an increasing impatience and dislike of many dog owners.

coralee7 thanked gyr_falcon
  • stacey_mb
    7 years ago

When I was a child, I was bitten by a dog and am generally wary of them, especially if they are running around without any apparent owner. My son was attacked by a dog while we were visiting friends and it could have been very serious. A dog from the next property was outdoors near our friends' home and as my son went to pet the dog, he had my son on the ground, beginning to bite his throat. Luckily we intervened in time but he still has a scar. We have had to leave our nearby park where we took our young granddaughters to play, since an unknown dog was running loose and we couldn't be sure of their safety.

coralee7 thanked stacey_mb
  • Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

I love dogs and have had one in my home since and including childhood but I am wary of dogs I don't know. Dogs can be dangerous and the problem is usually not the dog but their IRRESPONSIBLE and STUPID HUMAN GUARDIANS who don't train their dogs properly, allow them to continue with inappropriate behavior, and don't secure and maintain physical control so that no harm can be done to other humans.

If you want to find an example of an improperly trained dog, sit in any public place and watch dogs walking on a leash. Any one that is not walking at a heel position, or pulling on the leash and walking in front of their human, is likely untrained or poorly trained. Proper leash behavior is usually the first thing taught in schooling a dog.

coralee7 thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • lily316
    7 years ago

My mother always thought I'd be bitten as a child because I would pet any dog I encountered. As a Brownie, I witnessed a ten-year-old scout get mauled by a Scottie dog. I was hysterical and the scout leader had to walk me home. Did that stop me? No. Today I am more fearful of other dogs attacking my dachshund as we walk. All dogs are fenced or leashed in my town or there is a fine.

coralee7 thanked lily316
  • agmss15
    7 years ago

I love dogs! Adore them. Generally I prefer them over people. That said I have met intimidating specimens. The only time I was bittenwas entering the home of a timid dog too quickly. Spiders on the other hand I will do a lot to avoid.

I have a good friend who is extremely dog phobic. After visiting her a few times I realized she was completely unable to read the body language of dogs and their humans. She says she would never enter my home if I wasn't home. I have a 15 lb dog who would escort thieves around my house happily. My friend sees behavior as aggressive and threatening that I read as disinterest, playfulness or thoughtlessness on the part of owners. I try to remember that now with my own dog - that not everyone can read a dog's behavior or likes a dogs enthusiastic greetings.

coralee7 thanked agmss15
  • nicole___
    7 years ago

I like dogs... untrained dogs...not so much.

coralee7 thanked nicole___
  • eld6161
    7 years ago

Love dogs. My dad was a dog lover and he passed that on to us. It really can be a learned behavior.

coralee7 thanked eld6161
  • User
    7 years ago

I am not afraid of dogs, but I respect them and their teeth. :) Would never think of just walking up to a strange dog and petting them.

coralee7 thanked User
  • Hareball
    7 years ago

I love and respect dogs. I've always been around some sort of animal all my life so I feel I have a respect for them and have an idea how to handle myself around them. They can pick up on our fears and body language.

My MIL has cats that the family feeds. One day we were out front feeding the cats and I looked over and the neighbor's pit bull had gotten loose and was making her way over to the fence. Without even thinking about it I ran over and caught her as she jumped down. Didn't even think about the fact that this dog could have really done a number on me. I just wanted to make sure her and the cats were ok. Turns out the crappy neighbor would just tie this poor dog up in the front for protection and wasn't doing a very good job of feeding her. She was so hungry she jumped our fence to get cat food. We fed her of course and she was such a sweetheart.

There's a special place you know where for people that tie up their dogs in the yard. :\

coralee7 thanked Hareball
  • User
    7 years ago

Nope not afraid at all but I've never been bitten either and as others have said, I have a healthy respect for any animal I don't know especially if it's unsupervised. If you know the correct way to approach them and are non threatening, chances are greater that the introduction will be successful.

coralee7 thanked User
  • Hareball
    7 years ago

My husband was bitten by a dog when he was little. He said he asked for it though. He was yanking on its tail while it was eating. lol He loves dogs and him and our dachshund are best friends. :D

coralee7 thanked Hareball
  • Mary506
    7 years ago

I love dogs but always respect them. When the girls were young 4 & 5 our german shepherd bit the oldest one on her face. She needed 78 stitches & 3 other surgeries. He was 145 lbs & I had to drag him off of her & get him in the basement. The thing is they use to sleep with one another, we had him tested & he had a very bad ear infection that no one picked up. Come to fine out she was scratching his ear & the pain was all he could see. The Vet. said no animal or person could have taken that kind of pain without reacting. We had to put him down & my daughter cried her eyes out because he was her best friend. The experience never effected her but it did my other daughter who became afraid of dogs for a long time.

coralee7 thanked Mary506
  • User
    7 years ago

Oh, Mary506, that is so sad and I totally understand. There's no going back after an attack like that.

coralee7 thanked User
  • moonie_57 (8 NC)
    7 years ago

My sister is scared of dogs. As a child she was chased by an English Pluto. (French poodle.. we still jokingly call them an English pluto)

coralee7 thanked moonie_57 (8 NC)
  • chisue
    7 years ago

When I was a child my mother would tell me bedtime stories about her early life on a small farm. Many of them featured her Collie, Beauty. Mom was an only child, and Beauty was her constant companion and guard.

I could have been afraid of dogs after a neighbor's Boxer put his paws on my shoulders when I was about three. He wanted to kiss me, but of course he knocked me down. I am still not fond of 'drooly' dogs like boxers and pugs!

We had a Westie before we had our son. Charlie was great with the baby and took all kinds of 'punishment' -- tail and fur pulling, etc. He'd just lie there and 'take it'. However, once DS was walking, Charlie would give a warning growl, then walk away, depriving DS of his pal. DS leaned fast.

I like dogs, but I think some people are trying to make dogs, and other pets, into something they are not. I do not appreciate seeing dogs in the 'child seat' of grocery carts -- or in grocery stores, period. (These are clearly not 'companion animals'. That's entirely different.)

coralee7 thanked chisue
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    7 years ago

I grew up with farm dogs, but I'm not particularly fond of any dog. I especially dislike the snarling little ankle-biters that several of my friends have. Vicious yappy devils.

My next door neighbor has 2 hunting dogs in a pen in his backyard. I don't like them, but I do feel sorry for them. And I am afraid of large, unleashed strange dogs.

coralee7 thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • frogged
    7 years ago

Not afraid, love them respect them and their potential for injury. But its is like a lot of things, cars and traffic, people in general, all are usually benign, until you meet the one that isn't. Have been bit more then once usually small dogs. Working at a clinic, Owners tend not to train small dogs, One time a bigger dog my fault breaking up a fight I wasn't the intended victim. Have been too scared to go near a dog, an recently neutered rottie that had just been neutered because he bit someone he meant business. Worked with an intact pit with zero training sweet playful dog that could have done a lot of damage if he though he could be in charge. Have been nervous to open cat cages those little fur...... can be nasty and intentionally vicious. More bites and scratches are caused by cats then dogs ever. Personal experience and opinion. A friend wound up in the hospital on IV after a cat scratch. I love all the big goofy dogs and select small ones. Most dogs are pretty straight froward fed me walk/play with me love me spoil me and give me a warm bed and I will go the end of the earth and back again for you. I do fear most people, never can tell what they are thinking or want. Especially anyone who hates dogs or animals.

coralee7 thanked frogged
  • Olychick
    7 years ago

Yes, plus I just plain don't like them. I hate having a dog running loose, or the owner allowing one to get too close to me. Or take them to places where dogs don't belong and inflicting them on those of us who don't want to be around them.

coralee7 thanked Olychick
  • jemdandy
    7 years ago

It depends on the dog.

coralee7 thanked jemdandy
  • User
    7 years ago

I adopted my white German Shepherd Dog from a breeder at 6 weeks old. He was the most loving dog & wouldn't hurt anyone unless he thought I was in danger.

Cesar Millan makes a good point. He compared Americans to Mexicans when it comes to dogs. He said he came to America to train Americans. Not dogs. He said Americans just love to run up on a dog & pet them & try to give them kisses. Which is entering the dogs private space and can cause a defensive nip bite.

Even when the dog owner says it's okay to pet my dog, he won't hurt you, I'm still slow & cautious when entering the dogs private space.

Like Cesar said, how would you feel about strangers running up to you, entering your personal space and petting your hair and giving you kisses.

Now dogs attacking without being provoked, like some of the stories above, could either be lack of training or they were trained to attack or their personality.

No dog is perfect all the time.

coralee7 thanked User
  • User
    7 years ago

Great points, Scott. Also, don't lean in and hover over the top of a dog and pat them over the head, where they can't see your hand.

You're right. People wouldn't want anyone to do that to them either!

coralee7 thanked User
  • User
    7 years ago

Also I've watched my veterinarian & the vet techs while at the vet's office.

Even if it's a dog they've seen 100 times, they still start out slow & let the dog come to examine them first as they must develop a relationship with the dog before poking & prodding them.

coralee7 thanked User
  • lucillle
    7 years ago

No dog is perfect all the time.

Excellent point.

Remember that thread you started where the people sitting in the waiting room did not invite you to sit with them when you asked and you had brought Paxil with you? Certainly it had nothing to do with you, and it may not have had anything to do with Paxil, he is such an appealing dog. But they did not know Paxil, I'm wondering whether they were feeling a sense of caution not because they were afraid, but because they didn't know him?

coralee7 thanked lucillle
  • User
    7 years ago

That could be.

coralee7 thanked User
  • joyfulguy
    7 years ago

We had barn/farm/cow dogs, usually Collies, when I was young, so I was used to being around dogs. They understood that to be (rarely) allowed/invited into the house was a special treat.

I like to be friendly with dogs, and may well make a quiet approach to a strange one, leashed or not. (that was originally "leased" but it didn't seem to apply).

I'll let them know I'm interested, will speak quietly, often put out my hand, palm up, at a distance and approach slowly, with the hand below the level of the dog's head, so s/he's not afraid that the head may be at risk. Scratch under the chin first, if the dog appears friendly. If the owner is there, will pay attention to what s/he says, but have often succeeded in befriending one when the owner had some reservations.

Have dealt with a bite, here and there, hardly ever a serious one: "warning shot over the bow", so to speak.

ole joyful

coralee7 thanked joyfulguy
  • cynic
    7 years ago

I've been attacked by dogs before but I still like dogs and no I'm not afraid of them. I AM cautious with an unknown dog that is expressing reservations. I learned a long time ago that you offer them the back of your hand to sniff and let them sniff it when they're ready. Never hold the palm out - it's an aggressive action to many dogs. You don't go up and stick your hand in their face either, hold it out and let them come to it. You'll both know that the other is being friendly that way and can pull back if they should snap at you.

Your nervousness is very understandable. If you want to work on it a bit you could go spend some time at a dog shelter and be around some friendly dogs that would love some company. You both would benefit from the visit.

coralee7 thanked cynic