SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poohbearlvr

Bought Bhuts at Lowes Today!!! But.......

PoohBearLvr
7 years ago

I couldn't believe it when I saw new big healthy Bhut Jolokias at Lowes! In the peat pots from Bonnie Gardens. BUT they are all soaking wet! Sitting in water, for a day or a week, i don't know. But I got 3 plants, for $3.50 each, about 7in tall, but they are just soaking wet, and today in Fla. it is SO windy, they were blowing over in the wind!

I cant put them outside, it is night now, so I have them inside on the porch. But in the morning, should I put them in full sun, it is still 'technically winter here', so the sun isnt scorching hot, but it is HOT already!! And dry them out, it will take a few days. Or should I go for shade and not risk full sun yet?

Since they are growing in what looks like a HEAVY peat based soil, in peat pots that are meant to be planted as is, and let the peat pots degrade as the plants grow, and since these pepper plants do hate to be transplanted, I assume it is a good idea to leave them in the pots, and let them grow through the pots.

They already are growing through the pots. But since I have had little luck with them over the years, only getting peppers one year. What should I plant them in? The soil type, and how big a pot? A 3 gallon pot for each plant? OR put all 3 in a 3 gallon?

Full sun here in south Fla. or morning sun only, or what? I intend to get a crop this year. Now that the hard part is done, they are sprouted and grown to a transplanting size...look healthy, except for the WET soil, I would think it needs a more 'poor soil' like in India, where they come from. A cactus type soil, for fast drainage?? Any Bhut growing hints would be great. I think I feed them to much, I get huge plants, flowers, but no peppers, except 1 year. So..now that I have the first 'stage' done for me...how about the next/rest of the stages...any help out there?

Comments (6)

Sponsored