SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
csupdate

Kitchen Addition - Suggestions for improvement of function

csupdate
7 years ago

Original Post

It was suggested it might be best for me to start a new post since my original topic (bay windows impacting kitchen design changes) is no longer relevant given it's looking like we're going to head in the direction of adding an addition off the back of the house to increase the size and function of our kitchen.

We are a family of 4 with two young children (age 4 and an infant). Our primary goal is to allow two people to work with ease in the kitchen at the end of the workday (one primarily at sink/dishwasher and the other at prep station and then stove). We are open to any and all suggestions to make this space the best that it can. Our latest plan based on some of the wonderful comments we received in our original post is to build roughly an 8 foot addition. This allows us to fit a nice size prep island, separate the clean-up and prep area, keep our formal dining room, and improve the function of our family room by moving the sliding glass door from the family room area to the back wall of the nook. Nothing is definite in this plan - everything is open to improvement and changes. To answer the latest question posted by rantontoo in my original post, no, we are not "wed" to the sink being under the window. The only thing we want to make sure we have in any design scenario is the informal nook eating area.

Close up of kitchen and nook layout

Kitchen Renovation · More Info

Panned out to see more of the first floor.

Kitchen Renovation · More Info
The red wall is the existing back wall that would be demo'd with yellow 8 ft addition showing the new back wall.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!