SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenswrens

A Different Plan - Suggestions for Improvement?

jenswrens
11 years ago

After much deliberation over the previous renditions from the architect, we decided to try a completely different plan this time. If you recall, my site has multiple restrictions and issues. Our foremost priority has been designing an energy-efficient house that blends with the land, preserves the most private sunny views, maximizes sunlight for passive solar, separates public and private outdoor areas, and presents a pleasing front facade to the driveway approach.

I was set on having the front door facing NE toward the driveway to create a courtyard-like approach, and I still like that arrangement best, but this created design problems with the interior spaces, views to the south, and also decreased privacy in the "back" of the house.

So we sat down with the site plan and drew the rooms where they made the most sense to us on the lot according to privacy, views, and use. In order to access the front door from the driveway, we had to move the house back several feet and tilt the long axis to the south, which gives us at least a view of the front door upon approach, but no true courtyard effect.

Some pphx from previous postings:

• Garage is a drive-under. This is not negotiable. But with this plan, we can fit a 3-car rather than just a 2-car. Doors are on the side under the kitchen/hearth room.

• Basement is a partial walk-out (lot slopes to the south and east)

• I only have the first floor done because we have to lock in a footprint for DEP before moving forward

• Location is northern NJ

• Footprint limited to 2200-2300 sf, but the tighter we can get it the better, without sacrificing good flow, distinct rooms, and long, through views

• Views are to the south and east. West is nice but the road curves and the property can be seen from the road there, and we want to minimize that

• FR is bumped out to the back to create privacy from the road/west in the back deck area (off DR/HR/BR)

What I need help with:

• Unsure about the "flow" and "feel" of this layout

• Do I need 2 sets of stairs? How to economize into one set? Need entrance to basement stairs to be as close to the kitchen as possible (minimize walking distance from garage)

• If one set of stairs, I would like open stairs to basement (no closed door feeling)

• I want to fit a "back hall" area between kitchen and entry hall, to include powder room, walk-in pantry, butler's pantry?, possibly exit to outside stairs going down

• Want a "gracious" entry hall but not a wide-open empty weird space

• How far is too far for guests to walk to the front door from parking area?

And finally, if someone could get me that courtyard approach, yet still have all the important living spaces face south and remain private, well, you would certainly win a prize!

Comments (31)