SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rp123789

ITALIAN CYPRESS yellowing/drying HELP!!!

R P
7 years ago

I had 24 italian cypress panted in early October 2015. 8 to 9 feet tall. When I bought them all looked very nice and green. They have had a little yellowing here and there since January when Dallas area had two bouts of very cold storms hitting about 20-25F twice, each lasting several days followed by heavy rains. I had an arborist look at them and he said overall looked minimal and we should wait and watch as of Feb 10th. Then I left for an international trip for 3 weeks. I returned yesterday on 3/3. Now about half the italian cypress are showing yellowing/drying. In some trees it is conspicuously at the top. In other trees in sort of small patches here and there. When I feel the yellowing areas, they feel dry and the foliage flakes off easily. There is mulching about 2-3 inches thick which spares about 6-9 inches around the trunk to allow breathing. I had my pool guy water them once a week over the 3 weeks I was away. I stick my fingers about 2 inches into the soil and those 2 inches feel dry. I use garden hose and manually water them until root ball feels wet. I had pool boy do the same. The trees which show the yellowing were planted about 2-4 inches above ground level to give it proper drainage so as to avoid excessive moisture/drowning/trunk-root rot. Based on the pics and pattern of browning, see what you guys think who also have been italian cypress owners. I hope this amount of yellow is reversible and that it is not too late. It cost a great deal and more importantly time and energy by me to maintain them. Any help or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Comment (1)