SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cypressowner

Let Italian Cypress trees recover or remove/replace them?

cypressowner
4 years ago

Context:

USDA Hardiness Zone 9a.

We've had 15 Italian Cypress trees that have thrived in our yard for 3 years. 11 of them sit in the brick planter that you can partially make out in this picture. The planter runs right up against the back of the hot tub with about a 4 inch gap between the two, filled with dirt to prevent mice from getting into the hot tub underbelly.

Recently, I made a mistake and started irrigating the planter after hand-watering the trees for three years. After a few months, I realized that the trees were struggling as the soil was not the best draining soil. Specifically, the planter soil is at its worst drainage in the spot pictured (link at bottom).

After ceasing irrigation and letting the soil throughout the whole planter dry out, all of the other trees are doing fine and look healthy, but I had to replace two in the pictured area. Now, the two remaining tall trees near the new ones (the one between the two new/short ones and the one to the right) look like they're struggling badly. Basically, the top 2/3 of each tree are dried out and losing needles when touched. They are a dull green and, while the trunk is still firm towards the bottom, feels slightly "spongy" further up the tree in both trees.

Assuming the soil problem is fixed (by letting it dry out and eventually going back to hand-watering), should I A.) leave the struggling trees alone and let them recover, B.) cut off the seemingly dead/dying top 2/3 of the trees and let the healthier bottom grow in, C.) remove and replace them with new cypresses, or D.) remove them altogether and replace with a different plant?

We really value the privacy that these trees bring and definitely want to keep a hedge of some sort along our back wall!

More photos for context:

https://imgur.com/a/Ljjsktf

Comments (6)