SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mbrad_plantnut101

Climbing Roses in Zone 5 (thanks for your suggestions)

All, a longtime lurker just wanted to check-in and get your two cents about using climbing roses to cover a pergola in Zone 5 (SW Chicago).

Thanks to your recommendations, the last 2-3 years I planted: Viking Queen on the North Arbor, William Baffin taking over a corner, Rosarium Utersen on the Entry/Front door Arbor, Crown Princess Margarita on a trellis, Ramblin' Red on the South Arbor, Tess of the de 'Urbervilles on a pillar, and a hedge of Bolero and Sophy's Rose. Gertrude Jekyl and a few other Austins are randomly planted around the lot (1/3 acre). Thanks to all the suggestions and I promise to post photos if the spring flush is good (like pappu worthy).

I just picked up a Menard's Pergola/gazebo with the cover/awning. After talking to the guy he said the awning will only last about 2 years, which I think would be the time that I can remove it and let the roses start to climb the structure. (Went to the Mediterranean for the honey moon and we used to dine under a grape/rose pergola and I wanted one ever since). ....So, I just ordered Colette, Laguna, John Davis, John Cabot, and Cecile Brunner. Now I need to narrow down which ones would be good for the gazebo. Am I missing anything?

Scanning this website, some notes:

Colette - good fragrance, disease problems if not enough air-circulation, probably only 6' tall (good for near the pergola, not on it). (I have a blank wall).

Laguna - good fragrance, larger, deep pink, probably get enough height for pergola.

John Davis has better fragrance over John Cabot (correct?) I might have Davis climb the pergola and Cabot somewhere else - other side of garden.

Cecile Brunner - good fragrance and height (monster?) once blooming means I can put a group III or late flowering clematis on it.

The other thing I really don't know is color..to me roses are either white, pink, or red (I am a guy). Will the pergola look odd if they don't match? I was also thinking grape-vine too. I realize this is a lot of stuff but I am under the impression at least one corner of the pergola will have rose that wont grow or wont climb and in some case will be moved.

I also have a small, three-sided arbor (leftover from a friends wedding) and was going to put it across the yard near the swing set with a bistro table ...I could have a rose or two (smaller climb this structure), maybe John Cabot and Colette? We have a really sunny yard and entertain frequently, and need some serious shade to get away from the sun/heat. thanks

Comments (16)