SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_37127589

Daylight savings time - like or not

User
7 years ago

Personally I hate daylight savings time. Well, not specifically that one, but I wish we could pick a time zone & call it a day!!!

I like the one we're in now. My family lives in Phoenix so we're 2 hour difference. But when we change time in 9 days, we'll be 3 hour difference which makes communicating more challenging.

I know there's been numerous political and public debates over ending it as it doesn't save us any money anymore since we're a 24 hour society.

Like I said, can't we just pick one and live with it?

Comments (50)

• Lindsey_CA
    7 years ago

I, too, would like to just stick to one time. My choice would be Daylight Saving Time, because it stays lighter longer in the evening. Standard Time is the pits!

User thanked Lindsey_CA
  • Michael
    7 years ago

I like the time changes.

User thanked Michael
  • Related Discussions

Daylight Savings Time Reminder

Q

Comments (7)
    Oh no! I had no idea either! And though I like DST later in the year, and I LOVE SPRING and am soooo ready for it, it's just now getting to the point where it's light at a reasonable time in the morning here! Now it's going to be dark an hour later. On the bright side, for me anyway, is that I start work at 5 a.m. and it's dark then anyway, and would be until later on in the season even if we didn't start DST.
    ...See More

Daylight Saving Time

Q

Comments (13)
    I've invested in a few atomic clocks so some of the clock changing is no more. Personally I'd prefer to go on 12 month DST. I like having the adjustment in the winter and wouldn't have much impact in the summertime. But then I suppose employers would adjust work hours! I'm sure I'll be up at 2 am Saturday night/Sunday morning. Send a note if you like! I used to work graveyard too for a while and I remember the one time the maintenance guy came in to adjust the timeclock and he then adjusted our timecards. Wound up giving an extra hour rather than subtracting the hour. Took me a few days to figure out what he had done since my time report didn't match up. His wife was a disgruntled former manager and wouldn't admit he could make a mistake, so I didn't keep fighting it, I took the extra hour pay and decided to see when payroll figures things out.
    ...See More

Daylight Savings Time and Drivers, Today

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Cynic! I did lean on the horn at the idiot who pulled out in front of me. I sure wish cars were equipped with air horns!
    ...See More

Thoughts on Permanent Daylight Savings Time

Q

Comments (37)
    I don't care either way, but could see the benefits of year around DST in Texas where I live as in the fall/winter/spring the weather is generally mild and it would be nice to have the daylight available to do things after I finish work. I never take advantage of the earlier light anyways. I would go running either way dark or light - I just run with a light as there are no street lights here. I appreciate the dark in the summer, because as soon as the sun comes out it raises the temp a 100 degrees j/k, but it feels like it, which is why I run in the dark. However I can see the issue with school buses and children in the dark as there has been several accidents that has happened during that time in the greater surrounding areas. However no matter what there are certain times when it is dark anyways. I'm used to getting up when it is dark so that part doesn't bother me, but I would appreciate more daylight after work when I can take advantage of it.
    ...See More
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We live on outermost Cape Cod - the very eastern edge of our time zone. I like Daylight Savings Time. Our bedroom on the 2nd floor has a large wall of windows facing east. We'd get hit in the face with the sunrise at 4:30 if not for the time change. Love visiting my mother in Ohio, it stays darker there in the mornings in the winter and light longer in the evenings in the summer with the time change, compared to where we live.

As my late brother (USN Chief) used to tell me: "Adapt and overcome" lol.

User thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

I don't like them now ... ever since they changed it earlier in the spring and later in the fall. Just when I'm starting to enjoy some light in the morning, they change it and it's all dark again...around here the kids are waiting for the school bus in the dark. That I don't like.

It's a bit of a pain to change all the clocks that don't change themselves, but it takes several days to 'reset' the cats who are very insistent about our get up time as it's also their breakfast time.

User thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Michael
    7 years ago

High school kids do wait in the dark; 6:30 AM, but K to 8 start at 9 AM.

Our cat died last year, but when alive he ignored time zones and alarms.

User thanked Michael
  • cooper8828
    7 years ago

I'm with you on this one Scott, just pick one and stick with it. When the time goes back in the fall it doesn't mess with me too much but spring forward throws me for a loop for a couple of weeks.

User thanked cooper8828
  • Elizabeth
    7 years ago

I already live in a state that has two time zones in it. Daylight Saving Time is just a PITA.

User thanked Elizabeth
  • sushipup1
    7 years ago

I love it. Especially the long summer evenings.

User thanked sushipup1
  • lindyluwho
    7 years ago

I love it when it stay light in the evening but I hate when we change it back and it's dark by 5:00. I'm not a morning person so I like my daylight later in the day.

User thanked lindyluwho
  • kentrees12
    7 years ago

When I was working I HATED going to work and getting home in the dark during Standard Time. I couldn't do or see anything outside except on the weekends. Now that I'm retired it's not so much of an issue. Being a morning person I love being able to watch the sunrise at 5 AM during the summer.

Tennessee has two time zones, Eastern and Central. The line is about an hour east of me. Chattanooga and Knoxville are Eastern, Nashville is Central. The thing I like about the Central Time Zone is that the late news is on at 10 PM rather than 11 pm.

There has been talk of late to make Daylight Saving Time permanent here.

User thanked kentrees12
  • OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

I like DST, but agree, let's just pick one and stick with it. I do like having daylight at the end of the day because it allows more time to do activities after work in daylight. I'm a runner and absolutely hate running in the dark if I can avoid it. Twilight is ok, but it scares me running in the dark by myself even though I'm lit up like a Christmas tree.

User thanked OutsidePlaying
  • caflowerluver
    7 years ago

I agree that we should just pick one. I hate switching back and forth. I do like it when it is light early in the morning since I get up at 6AM. I hate getting up when it is dark. It feels like you are getting up in the middle of the night. I don't care about it staying light till late. It is also very confusing to our pets when it comes to feeding times.

User thanked caflowerluver
  • lindaohnowga
    7 years ago

I love daylight savings time but why can't we just make a 1/2 hour difference between the two times and "stay" there all the time? No more changing clocks....ever.

User thanked lindaohnowga
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    7 years ago

Yes, stick to one time and stay on it. Chickens go in and out the same time of day no matter what the clock says, gets dark in they go. Daylight, out they come. Kindergarten here starts at 8:15 or so. I do not know what time high school starts. They probably all ride the same bus. Alyssa does not ride the bus, so don't know. I hate changing the clocks, sometime I just leave them as they are!

Sue

User thanked Marilyn Sue McClintock
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    7 years ago

Regular time! All year long!

User thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • fsajewic
    7 years ago

I like it. Doesn't take me that long to adjust my sleeping schedule.

User thanked fsajewic
  • lily316
    7 years ago

Agree. I want Standard time all year long.

User thanked lily316
  • marilyn_c
    7 years ago

Not. I don't like it getting dark so early in the winter. I can adjust my work but I hate it. If I didn't have chores to do outside, I wouldn't care one way or another.

User thanked marilyn_c
  • chisue
    7 years ago

There's no longer any 'savings', so let's just stick with ONE time per time zone. I vote with Marilyn Sue's chickens! LOL

Our HS is starting later now -- finally recognizing the adolescent brain -- and the before-school sports practices.

User thanked chisue
  • seniorgal
    7 years ago

During WW2 I was teaching in a rural school. We were on daylight savings time. The boys in my school had chores to do before coming to school.

Because the cows didn't know it was Daylight saving time I started school at 10 AM instead of 9AM. Cows and kids and teacher were happy.

User thanked seniorgal
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

I live somewhere that used to be in Central time zone, but decided it would be more "big city" to be in Eastern when the stock exchange opens. Somehow, they were able to change our time zone! Yes, it's nice in the winter to not have it pitch dark by 4:30 PM the way it was when we were in Maine, but the tradeoff is that I still have to have lights on in the house until 9AM.

I would rather have it light when I get up in the morning than pitch dark. It's starting to be light now, and it makes getting up SO much easier. Then DST will start and I'll be back in the dark in the AM. It's fine when I'm on the Vineyard - 5 AM its as bright as high noon in the summer!

What I really hated was when Indiana allowed "local option" on DST. Already, part of the state was EST, part was CST. No one EVER knew what time it was in Indiana!!!! They would talk about whether they were in a "Fast Time" zone or a "Slow Time" zone - never did figure out what the heck that meant.

User thanked Anglophilia
  • lily316
    7 years ago

The insanity of the whole thing is it's saving nothing. Any electricity not used in the morning will be used at night.

User thanked lily316
  • jemdandy
    7 years ago

Daylight savings was ok by me when it was for half a year. To extend it beyond that is a bit too much for me. This year, it begins in Mid-March goes into November.

User thanked jemdandy
  • Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

There's no insanity, it's to have longer evenings. The"savings" part of the name is archaic.

In Europe it's called Summer Time, maybe that's a better term.

User thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

I love the longer summer evenings.

User thanked wildchild2x2
  • hounds_x_two
    7 years ago

Hate it!

User thanked hounds_x_two
  • jakkom
    7 years ago

I once heard DST described as "Cutting off one end of the blanket and sewing it on the other end, to make the blanket longer."

LOL!

User thanked jakkom
  • User
    7 years ago

I like the change in time, I always have

User thanked User
  • moonie_57 (8 NC)
    7 years ago

So do i, lukki.

User thanked moonie_57 (8 NC)
  • colleenoz
    7 years ago

Here it's up to the individual states (easy as there are only seven) to have daylight savings or not. So my state chooses not to, while most of the rest of the country has it.

It's really annoying, because for half of the year there is a two hour time difference between us and the eastern states where most national businesses have their head offices and for the other half a three hour difference (which effectively cuts the window of opportunity for business communication between both sides of the country to five hours a day. If anything goes wrong after 2pm here it's a problem). It also affects national radio show programming as an extra hour appears and disappears in the late evening.

DD lives on the other side so I always have to stop and think about the time difference before I call her. We have tried daylight savings here twice but then when it comes down to the vote as to whether to continue the naysayers complain that it fades the curtains faster (I kid you not) and other silly reasons but they prevail. I actually liked it when we had it so I keep hoping that one day we'll try it again and this time the naysayers (who are mostly older people) will have passed on to a place where it's not an issue and we'll finally get it. At least then we'll have consistent time zones not changing every six months.

User thanked colleenoz
  • anoriginal
    7 years ago

Really doesn't matter to me. BUT surprised the number of people (especially adults) who think we gain an extra hour of sunlight?? No idea that the amount of hours sun is up never changes, just when they occur!?!

User thanked anoriginal
  • mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Jakkom, I watch Safari Live Wild Earth, I remember the presenters talking about the time changes in the US they used the same phrase..cutting off one end of the blanket and sewing it on the other to make it longer..lol.

User thanked mamapinky0
  • jemdandy
    7 years ago

To: Elmer J Fudd

I like the descriptor, Summer Time, but when it begins in early March, we're yet having potential for winter weather at my location. However, "Summer Time" does have a nice ring to it.

User thanked jemdandy
  • gyr_falcon
    7 years ago

I mind the changes less now that my husband agreed to be responsible for most of the chocks. One clock requires the tall ladder to be brought into the house. The clock is large, heavy, at an awkward angle to remove, and makes me nervous because it is near enough to the TV to cause an expensive oops if dropped.

User thanked gyr_falcon
  • mojomom
    7 years ago

I enjoy the sunlight after work and having time to do something outside in the evenings.

User thanked mojomom
  • workoutlady
    7 years ago

I don't mind it now but when my daughter was young, I hated it. She had a really hard time getting used to any of the time changes. My grandkids are the same way. My daughter actually likes turning the clocks ahead better than turning them back. I would imagine many parents of young kids feel the same.

User thanked workoutlady
  • nickel_kg
    7 years ago

I like the idea of sticking to "Summer Time" year round. I'm more likely to have leisure hours in the evening than in the morning, so could use (shift) the light later in the (24 hr) day.

User thanked nickel_kg
  • Adella Bedella
    7 years ago

I think we should change to the spring version of dst and stick with it.

User thanked Adella Bedella
  • dbarron
    7 years ago

I prefer the summer time setting. Just pick one and stop changing (imo).

User thanked dbarron
  • User
    7 years ago

I've lived with it for over 45 years, so it doesn't bother me at all. I keep hearing everyone whine about losing that hour sleep. I lose an hour sleep when I can't fall asleep at night. Or when I wake up too early. So it makes no difference at all to me that I lose that one hour one day a year. I gain it back one day a year. Or many times when I actually go to bed an hour early, or sleep in an extra early if I'm lucky. I like the late light summer nights.

User thanked User
  • joyfulguy
    7 years ago

When I was a farmer ... we didn't like it.

Summer day-labourer help (needed when there are crops and pastured animals to deal with, right?) ...

... would arrive in the dark, when it wasn't time to get to real work yet ...

... and want to go home in what Dad used to call "the middle of the afternoon".

ole joyful

User thanked joyfulguy
  • joyfulguy
    7 years ago

Thread-killer - again, so it appears.

Hi klseiverd,

What's that you say, that the hours of sunlight never changes?

Here, in winter, it gets dark around 5 ... and in summer about 10 (o.k. - "10 - DST"). Sun-up varies about 9 a.m. in winter to 5 in summer.

Go a thousand or so miles north of here ... and the sun doesn't rise for a couple of months in winter ... and doesn't set for about an equal number of months in summer: sun goes from overhead to swinging down near the horizon ... then climbs back up again to overhead.

Quite an experience - which I've never had, unfortunately. But if you figure that air fares are costly around here - try flying in the north! (Or flying food in, to fill the stores).

ole joyfuelled

User thanked joyfulguy
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Joyfulguy, yes you killed my thread.

Well I never thought about light or dark at the North Pole. But I just want a time zone and stick to it. I don't like change at all.

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    7 years ago

I love DST but I hate changing clocks. DST year-round would be my preference. I grew up on the western edge of a time zone (so we had light later in the evening naturally) and now that I'm on the eastern edge, I hate hate hate the early dark in the winter.

User thanked biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
  • nicole___
    7 years ago

Just pick a time already! :0) I need ALL my clocks to be atomic.

User thanked nicole___
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Me too. Actually I never change the clock in my garage, laundry room or bathroom. They stay on daylight savings time so they're right 1/2 the year. I do have 4 clocks I will have to change.

• DawnInCal
    7 years ago

I don't hate DSL, but don't really see a point in having it these days. I'd much prefer to be on natural time and let the days gradually shorten in the winter and lengthen in the summer. One of the few things I like about summer is that it stays light out until late in the evening.

User thanked DawnInCal
  • Rusty
    7 years ago

Changing the clocks doesn't bother me at all. But I intensely dislike Daylight Saving Time. Seems like the day never ends when it doesn't get dark until almost 10 o'clock at night. I do understand why working people like it, though.

For reasons I can no longer remember, (if I knew them at the time), Texas stayed on DST all winter. It was awful for the kids, going to school in pitch dark! And I think of that whenever year 'round DST is discussed. I would think adults could deal with less daylight in the evenings if it meant greater safety for the kids. One friend of mine said she likes DST because she doesn't like driving home from work in the dark. How is that worse than driving to work in the dark?

Plus, my body operates on Standard time all year, regardless of what the clocks say.

Rusty

User thanked Rusty
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 years ago

I like it all. I like the cozy winter evenings and the holidays that happen during those times (it's why we have holidays, to get through the dark times) and I like the sunny evenings we can eat outside. I don't care what time the sun comes up for humankind, a clocks is a clock. I'm up early regardless of the time. I can't stop working :)

User thanked rob333 (zone 7b)