SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frenchcuffs13

What is your favorite copper/apricot rose?

Sarah z8
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I've been wanting to add a copper or apricot rose, preferably with fragrance. It will be in a large pot. I was interested in Wollerton Old hall, but apparently it fades to a pale wheat color.

Let's have some fun! Post away with your suggestions, pictures, and favorites! Thank you

Comments (59)

• Sarah z8
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks so much everyone! I'm having a blast looking these up! I really wanted Lady of Shallot but afraid she'll get so big she'd fall over in her pot.

• romogen
    7 years ago

If you wanted LoShallot but it's too big, you're better off with Lady Emma Hamilton or even Carding Mill in a pot. Tamora was a great suggestion with a great myrrh fragrance but slightly different flower form. Pat Austin can grow to 7 feet in NorCal with salad plate sized flowers.

• Related Discussions

your favorite BS resistant yellow or apricot rose for cutting

Q

Comments (19)
    Apricot is my favorite color of rose so I do grow quite a few and have found most to be healthy and hardy. I do spray, however, but most of these I think would be okay without it. Nancy Reagan--took 2 yrs to mature, but now--WATCH OUT! Mother of Pearl--Marvelous health, vigor, quantity of bloom Marilyn Monroe--All the goodness of her daddy St. Patrick in an apricot flower. European Touch-Monster bush with tons of flowers and no disease. Tahitian Sunset--Multi-color and fragrant--delicious. Welcome Home--Yellow HT-monster bush and tons of flowers. Southern Belle--Little known J&P yellow with old-fashioned blooms and wonderful fragrance. Gold Medal--The absolute grandiflora standard of perfection About Face--took 2 years to establish, now it is huge and throws scads of beautiful blooms. Hollywood Star--Probably the oveall best John Sheldon hybridyzed rose. Beautiful apricot blooms healthy/hardy Day Breaker--My favorite of ALL roses. Great bush without flowers, breathtaking when loaded with dozens of multi-colored apricot/pink/yellow/cream blooms. John
    ...See More

favorite peach/coral/apricot colored rose??

Q

Comments (15)
    I ordered another Whiskey Mac, as my other one may have died from the severe winter we had. I was recently informed that they are also require a bit more care, but I have to agree that they are well worth it! If you have ever had the pleasure of smelling a Whiskey Mac rose, you'll never forget it's name. The scent is truly mystical with a fruity/floral headiness that is not overwhelming, but very strong and delightful. One flower filled half my garden with it's scent and I had to wander around until I found the source. I was truly amazed at how much one lone rose could emmit so much perfume. It didn't even smell like a rose, it was more like a basket of freshly cut fruit and freesia. YUMMM!
    ...See More

Zone 5 Rose Gardeners "What's Your Favorite Rose'?

Q

Comments (41)
    I live in zone 5 a little west of Madison WI and have a "Blaze Improved" that has been in for over 8 years. I live in a valley so I get lots of wind and a little cooler climate than in town, my lilacs bloom 2 weeks after the ones there. I didn't do a very good job of taking care of Blaze (didn't prune, water regularly, or fertilize up till 2 years ago). The pictures below are from today, October 3rd, and it's still cranking out the 2.25" blooms on the 5-6 foot canes. It does get BS here but I don't care, this has got to be the bloomingist rose I have. The color is a true, rich, beautiful red that does not fade (picture color is pretty accurate). Little or no fragrance to me. I don't do anything special in the winter except dump a half bag of chip bark mulch on the base for winter and sometimes if I have extra oak leaves I use those instead. There is very little die back or pruning to do come spring. From what I've read, 'Blaze' is zone 6-10, blooms on old wood, and 'Blaze Improved' is zone 5-9 blooms on new and old wood, if that helps for pruning. Very consistent and dependable. This is a repost from the Blaze topic.
    ...See More

What are your favorite companion plants for your roses???

Q

Comments (13)
    Just received more flower seeds through the mail from Botanical Interests, what a great company ! Several hours after completing my online order, I got an email stating my seeds had shipped, that's the fastest I've ever seen, sent almost before I ordered. I love their presentation- a beautiful box, rice paper Happy Growing announcement, my receipt, seed planting guide, and a free package of seeds, all for ordering just 2 seed packs. And to top it off there was free shipping . My fluffy Cosmos will be waving to their companions in the breeze. The vintage wild fringed Dianthus have been on my wish list for several years ( Botanical Interests sent me email notification when it was back in stock ). It will be a feathery addition. There's too much for my small flower bed but lots to give away. Today I noticed the first white pincushion flower sprouting from it's seed pot, some white to go between the pink and red roses. My dwarf Columbine seeds have not popped up yet, they will go in a circle in the shade with the hostas. The Alaskan Raspberry Nasturtiums got planted today. The birds, bees and butterflies will be happy in the garden this year.
    ...See More
  • Seeingreen
    7 years ago

I vote The Lady Gardener, The great thing is Lady G is she wont get too big :) she produces apricot blooms which in my experience varies in depending on the weather sometimes taking on a shade of pink. and HMF says she has a tea- vanilla fragrance

• KarenPA_6b
    7 years ago

Lilyfinch, how tall does Teasing Georgia get for you? It is such a beautiful rose! Do you get good fragrance from it?

Romogen, thanks for sharing your pics of Charles Darwin. I have not known that CD rose throws out such a wide range of colors. I have always thought that it is a bright yellow rose.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    7 years ago

Karen , my Rose is about 5 ft tall and wide . It will be covered in buds all over and is really spectacular to my eye ! I can't wait for it to bloom again. It's medium in fragrance , pleasant to me but not very heavy . It is rarely with out bloom for me . I don't have the best photos but here's another for you

It's branches were weighed down by the blooms and I didn't prune it last spring. This spring it is already pruned so I should have better shape . I had a newborn last spring so I really couldn't maintain things the way I should have .

I think you'll love it !!

• KarenPA_6b
    7 years ago

Thanks, Lilyfinch. Look at the number of buds on your bush! Almost continuous blooms is something that I look for in any roses. TG sounds like a great rose. Can you tell me if yours is grafted or ownroot? I would like to get one with great performance as yours.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    7 years ago

Mine is grafted ! :) glad you like the photos !!

• Sarah z8
    Original Author
    7 years ago

All of them are gorgeous and of course wish I could have them ALL ! I want to thank everyone for their time and thought on this, plus the fantastic photos! Delicious looking blooms.

Romogen- I've decided Lady Em would be most suitable for what her situation will be. Glowing colors and strong fragrance to boot! I also like that it is a shrub. I've only had one DA and it did so poorly I vowed to never get another. But I'm willing to try her as the reviews on her are wonderful. I'm excited! Thank you!

• Holly Webster(7bNC)
    7 years ago

Sunset Celebration aka Warm Wishes. Mine is OR, I think from Northland. Might be from RU. Very healthy, floriferous, nice scent, not bothered by heat nor humidity nor ice nor hurricanes. Color holds well in heat with slight fade to buff.

Sorry I don't have more photos. What the deer didn't eat, I cut for little bunches to give away.

• seil zone 6b MI
    7 years ago

My favorite is Just Joey although it does fade some.

• Sarah z8
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Seil, your Just Joey is beautiful! All roses fade a bit from my experience. The only exception has been Red Intuition. I wouldn't consider it a fault. Unless it turned a whole other color lol. It looks yummy!

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    7 years ago

In terms of apricots, does anyone else besides me like Marilyn Monroe?

• Sarah z8
    Original Author
    7 years ago

MM has been a favorite among exhibitor's. Gorgeous perfect blooms. Has won many awards here. A great pick!

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    7 years ago

Carding Mill - in a pink mood

the_bustopher, I have Marilyn Monroe (but no good photos of her, alas). I snapped her up at a rose show in 2015. She's growing in zone 10a/20, with a south and west exposure.. doesn't bloom much in 100+ temps, but wonderful in spring and full. She does tend to sucker at the base, though.

I would call Carding Mill copper, and Tamora apricot. I have both and adore them. Can't say enough good things about Tamora; pretty much an all-year bloomer here. Carding Mill is more striking, except less vigorous, in my yard at least. Both of them are dreamily fragrant.

Good luck!

Sylvia

Tamora:

• User
    7 years ago

CROWN PRINCESS MARGARETA ALWAYS AND FOREVER!!!! :)

My hand on the photo is to show the size. This is first year photos. These babies get HUGE!! And the scent is stick your face in and breathe forever wonderful!!!!! I have 3 own root from David Austin Roses. I used DAR food on them and they bloomed like nuts even in their first year.

Rebecca

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    7 years ago

Seil, I haven't seen photos of Just Joey in a long time. Yours is even prettier than I remember it. I grew it in CA, wasn't sure it could take the long winters where I am now.

Sylvia, I've never seen Carding Mill in a pink mood before. I didn't know it could do that! I agree about Tamora. Bought mine on a whim, not expecting much, but ended up going back for another one. I wouldn't mind having a few more. A delicate looking workhorse of a rose, and blends well with other colors. If I have two roses that clash, I stick Tamora between them and all is well.

Rebecca, on the basis of your photos, Crown Princess Margareta is back on the list.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Rebecca, those photos of Crown Princess Margareta are stunning. Like flowers, I have had CPM on and off my "list" of two roses all spring. But where to put her? In my garden, she will get huge---I mean the plant, not the blooms. The blooms can get as huge as they want. How large are your CPMs? Anymore you can add about their blooming and growth habit (octopus arms, lovely bush shape?). Diane

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    7 years ago

Holy moly, your Crown Princess is phenomenal

• User
    7 years ago

Thanks, Flowers, Diane, and Kristine!! I wish I would have taken photos at the end of the season when her canes were 5' tall. I planted 2 CPM about 14" apart here and another against the garage close by. They were in contiuous bloom!!! Amazing!!!

This is the first bloom and they went crazy from there. If you tap on the photos and enlarge them, you will be able to see the buds that are there that have yet to open.

Oh, Diane, I almost missed your questions in all my excitement. Because I grew her before, I can tell you this... CPM gets big all over. She will not be contained to a 3 foot shrub. I tried and ripped it out in frustration. Also, I had her on the east side of the house then and she got orange on the inside with white outer petals. I didn't like that. This has NW exposure and much better. Here is a photo of later that I just found. Enlarge the photo and you will see all the spent buds that I don't pull off at this time to prepare her for winter. This is almost the end of the bloom. You can see the long canes starting to develop. Keep in mind, this is first year rose, so the long canes aren't octopus, they are just a picture of what she gets like later in her life... TALL.

As I recall, CPM was never without blooms. LOVE THIS ROSE!!

Rebecca

7 years ago

I like the softer apricot/yellow of your blooms. Some photos show it a bit too jarring yellow for my garden. I also like that it's rated to zone 4 for a little added insurance in my zone 5. Appreciate all the gorgeous photos.

• User
    7 years ago

You are welcome, Flowers! I just added more photos above that might help you. There are times during the season that I get pale apricot pink flowers, but I didn't pay attention to when. I was too busy building the garden to notice the timing. It was a total remodel and so much fun. :)

Rebecca

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Rebecca, thanks for more photos and info, and boy, I like what I see. In my small garden, eastern exposure is all I have left, and I'm concerned about the coloration you mentioned. You wouldn't have a photo of this by any chance? Thanks again. Diane

• User
    7 years ago

Here it is, Diane... this was when I was trying to keep it small and very, very frustrated!! I remember now that the color is pinkish from the shade. The blossom on the right is what I was talking about. I think it was because it was facing Southeast and got brutal heat against a concrete sidewalk AND because all the roses were so low to the ground. Some of them had the regular color with the outer 2 rows of petals bleached from the hot sun.

Rebecca

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    7 years ago

Just when I had decided on Graham Thomas then I see pictures of crown Princess Marguerite its a tough decision they are both stunning

• MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
    7 years ago

If moderns that aren't reproductions are on the table, I'm a fan of Medallion. Big grower here. Easily over 6' letting it do it's thing; taking a moderate amount of cane off during dead heading helps keep growth from getting floppy, especially when weighed down by heavy blooms after rain and wind.

It's fragrant, and seems to vary between a spicy, dry tea scent and a sweeter fruity note up to medium strength.

I do get black spot in my area, and my specimen suffered this winter from winter kill. Last year I had no die back at all. This year I had to prune it to the ground. Oh well!

It's special to me because it has those Tea-Noisette colour in a plant that will winter okay for me as well as being one of three varieties my grandparents bought for me years ago when they were RV'ing across the U.S. and Eastern Canada. Grandma passed this last September, and things like these mean as much for me as our memories together themselves- I am so eager to visit Grandpa in Florida this April. It's sure going to be different; I can't even imagine how hard it would be to lose your love, your partner in life after 64 years.

Anywho, how about a beauty shot of this oldie but goodie?

This is the autumn colour. Much richer! During the peak of summer it does fade to pale lemon yellow and sometimes gets frilly edges.

***Edit: Nevermind for Medallion. I just re-read large pot.

Perle would be better for that***

I also have and enjoy Perle d'Or.

Steven

7 years ago

No one has mentioned Mother of Pearl, below, a soft peach with upright growth. Possibly too upright for a pot, unless you under plant it. Not sure - I haven't had mine long enough to know. Blooms a lot.

Jump for Joy is another in your preferred color range. Here, she's still in the band, waiting her turn to go in the ground.

Ambridge is an Austin you don't hear much about anymore. I really love it. I think it would love to be in a pot. It looks like Evelyn here, but it's Ambridge. The blooms are smaller than Evelyn's. Strong fragrance.

I have Cream Veranda in a pot. Mine is quite peachy, rather than cream.

There's always Evelyn, the queen of peachy, apricot blooms, in my book. This photo was taken early evening, so the color is deeper.

Cinco de Mayo, no photo, is described as coppery, russet, fading to smoky lavender. I did not like the neon orange buds in my pastel garden, but they open to a gorgeous, changing palette. If you google it, you'll see that you can't catch it the same way twice. It is a blooming machine!

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    7 years ago

Oh my gosh. There's sooooooo many gorgeous pics on this thread.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Beautiful roses, flowers, and such a gorgeous array of shades of peach and apricot. Where have you been hiding these photos? We need to see them on the winter thread. My seed starting gardening friend grows Mother of Pearl, and I think it's one of her loveliest roses. I've been tempted many times to grow it. Edward's sells Jump for Joy here in Boise, and I didn't realize it had such a beautiful color, having never seen even a photo of it. I didn't know you grew Evelyn, either. How does she do in your climate? We need to talk Evelyn. I'm sure you knew that Austin has discontinued Evelyn in England already, and I'm sure the US is next. This is the first year Edwards hasn't carried Evelyn, and I'll bet they are under Austin's gun to not sell it if they want licensing to sell their patented roses. Edwards sells many of those. Diane

7 years ago

So, Diane, that must mean Evelyn isn't under patent anymore. Just checked and it was introduced in '91. If I understand correctly, it was out of patent in 2011? Austin will be making a big mistake taking that one off the market. Maybe not from a profit standpoint, but there will be lots of disappointed Austin fans. I'm glad we have ours! It's frustrating trying to track down roses that are not readily available. Mine are 2 years old - still very young. I was surprised at how quickly they took off and started blooming. It's also the first year Northland hasn't sold it. So, if anyone here wants it, they'd better grab the first one they can find. I wonder which of his best ones will get the axe next.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Yes, Evelyn is off patent, and there is a big discussion about it and other topics on the Antique Rose Forum, called Are You Still Interested In David Austin Roses (or something like that). The Prince has also received the ax, and that's got a lot of people upset. It's rumored that Abe Darby will be next, and that's insane. That rose has nearly 300 positives on HMF. I'm getting Abe this spring and was thinking about getting Crown Princess Margaret, even before I saw Rebecca's beautiful photos of this rose!...How many Evelyns do you have? I'm so glad to be growing four of them. Lately, it seems like people here are getting twenty of everything, which is hard to believe, given my small garden. I forget how large some people's properties are. I just wondered if you got a deer fence, since you mentioned starting over with some roses. I would think the deer depredation would be awful around your area. Diane

7 years ago

I only have 2 Evelyn, but it is such a perfect rose, I will take as many more as I can find. Well, within reason. I only have one Abe Darby, and would like another. The way the Austin operation is being handled now makes me lose a little respect for them. When money is the bottom line, it sullies everything a little bit, but on the other hand, it is a business. I wonder how much input Mr. Austin still has - if he now works only with the breeding aspect and lets others handle the business part. They better come up with some fabulous roses to make up for the ones they're discontinuing.

The most I have of any one kind is 5 of Super Dorothy for my rail fence. I hope I still have 5. Poor things are over wintering in the garage in their bands. I've never bought multiples of one variety, except for those.

Yes, the deer fence went up the fall of '15. Some of my roses were more than 15 yrs old and had never gotten more than a foot tall. It was foolish trying to grow roses with so many deer in the area. I probably spent enough in deer repellant to pay for the fence. By the end, I was spraying every night.

I'll have to find that thread on the antique rose forum and see what's up.

• Tangles Long
    7 years ago

Tea Clipper is my favorite apricot DA rose. What i like about this rose is those huge, ruffled, quartered blooms. This is perfect for those who want something different in form compare to a lot of a saucery type form found in Teasing Georia, CPM, Heritage, GT etc.. if I have a big garden I would grow plenty of this rose just for cuttings and bring those blooms indoors.

• Sarah z8
    Original Author
    7 years ago

All I can say is WOW! Thank you everyone for the suggestions and gorgeous pictures! I thought I had settled on Lady Em but now have to rethink. I'd love to have more than one but we are in a rental house, so trying to keep all the roses in pots. Like you have said, you never know when one might become hard to find!

Flowers- for Deer I use the Scarecrow from Do Your own Pest Control. It works fantastic. Keeps other critters out too. For some laughter you can watch videos of it on YouTube that are pretty funny! It's a motion activated water sprayer that you can adjust settings. It covered my whole front yard. Definitely worth the $50 to save my roses, hostas, etc. https://youtu.be/9fTeHEG8aWE

7 years ago

Sarah, I had 6 Scarecrows. I paid $75. ea. on Amazon, cheapest I could find anywhere, so it was a big decision. The deer seemed to enjoy the shower. Was such a hassle turning all those off every time I wanted to go in the garden for a few minutes, then turning them all back on again. I got soaked more than once and I didn't enjoy it as much as the deer. Eventually gave them away. I honestly think my deer are some kind of mutant breed bent on driving me insane. I could walk out of the garden for 5 minutes and the deer would be there again, munching away. My big dog sometimes chased them, and sometimes they chased my dog. I watched those videos back when we were trying to decide about buying them, and they are pretty funny. Did you see the comment from the man who set one up at his front door to keep solicitors away? After trying everything on the market, and every home concoction, what worked best was Liquid Fence, but I had to spray every night, then they got used to that. That much spraying left a white film on my plants. They even ate the pumpkins on my porch in the fall - back by the door, not out on the steps. My family knows not to talk to me about how cute the deer are.

• User
    7 years ago

Steven, MEDALLION IS ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITE ROSES!!! I have purchased 3 grafted and 2 own root and cannot keep them alive for ANYTHING. They just won't thrive here in the cold. They put out HUGE intoxicatingly beautiful blossoms that first year and then they die. Sigh...Thankfully, I love all my other roses and only think of them when I see a photo. :)

Rebecca

• Sarah z8
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Flowers- oh that's terrible! Yes, you're deer are strange and maybe genetically altered. And yes, I got soaked a few times too...And possibly a neighbor *snickers*

I only needed two for the front as the back was fully fenced. So it wasn't a huge hassle to turn them on and off. But occasionally I'd forget and plants would be chewed to nothing the next morning. I can see how if you needed alot of them it'd be a pain.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Flowers, we totally agree on this: deer are not cute! We have big mutant mule deer here, sort of like elk light. A deer fence is really the way to go with the kind of pressure you had. I wish I had that alternative--at least for the future, since the problem is growing worse around here, as I think it is everywhere. I will rant about different reasons for the worsening problem on another thread so I don't hijack this one! Diane

One of my favorite peach, apricot, and many shades in between, Augusta Luise (sorry for repeating any photos...

7 years ago

I will never tire of seeing your photos of Augusta Luise! It looks like a cross between a rose and a peony and a camellia. You must be one of a few in the US who have it. Your deer sound worse than mine. We have white tail deer and I think they're smaller than mule deer.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    7 years ago

One day I will own an Augusta Louise. Those pics are to die for.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Thanks, flowers and Judy. I really wonder how many people do grow AL in the US. I know Marina, aka, The Dark Lady does, and it was her photos on HMF that got me very interested in growing AL. Luckily, Marina said she thought Hortico had AL for sale, and I bought her as fast as lightening. That was the last year she was available from Hortico. Augusta Luise is very popular in Europe, though. Lucky ducks. Diane

• User
    7 years ago

WOW, Diane... Augusta Louise is a beautiful many faces rose!! Never, never apologize for re-posting photos... there are many of us that didn't get to see them the first, second, or third time around. A rose photo is preferable to a white page with print any day!! So bring them on!!!!!

Rebecca

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Thank you much Rebecca. I'm still celebrating that this rose made it through the winter (so far--knock on wood, and all that stuff). Now if I could just fit in Crown Princess Margareta. Your photos have spurred me on. Have you seen the Google Images of CPM? Gorgeous--same for Augusta. Diane

• Sarah z8
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Diane- repost away! I don't think any of us could ever tire of looking at your lovely photos! It's an inspiration!

• User
    7 years ago

OH MY GOODNESS, DIANE!!! I want to print all those out HUGE and wallpaper my walls with them!!! :)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    7 years ago

I think Augusta Louise needs to be renamed Miss Fluffy Puffy! She's so gorgeous!

CPM would probably do well for you, Diane. She seems to like cooler winters than what I have here. She wants to be a climber here. I have 2 of them and they both act like climbers. Even more so than most of my other Austins.

• Seeingreen
    7 years ago

Yes absolutely beautiful I would love to grow Augusta Louis!

Hey Rebecca I am also a Rebekah. I'm sorry about your Medallion, thanks for sharing your experience. I like to hybridize so I always like to hear the good and all the bad roses have to offer.

Currently my favorite apricot rose lol first seedling to start blooming :)

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    7 years ago

I love apricot colours but I only grow Evelyn and Crown Princess Margaret that is considered apricot in my garden. CPM does not do well so far but Evelyn has been great in my garden. I have posted these pics before but in case you had missed them.

Garden pics · More Info

Garden pics · More Info

Garden pics · More Info

• KarenPA_6b
    7 years ago

Wow, you guys grow such gorgeous roses! If I have a bad bloom season, I know where I would go to get my fix. :)

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

jjpeace, congratulations on the arrival of your new niece, Evelyn. She and your beautiful rose, Evelyn, will have lots in common.

I've been considering Crown Princess Margareta for my garden. How does CPM compare to Evelyn? Diane

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    7 years ago

CPM was doing well in the beginning but it didn't recover after squirrels damaged it two years ago. They seem to like "snapping" off the big canes. Hopefully this year will do better but if not I may have to move it to a different spot. But based on the few blooms I did have, I like Evelyn better because of the bigger blooms and its vigour in my garden.