SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buttoni_8b

Tree trunk issue/problem.

buttoni_8b
7 years ago

We have a mature hardwood tree (don't know the type) in our back garden that is very tall, about 25-30' (slim in overall stature, as it has been previously trimmed & one major branch removed by someone before us) that is hollow/rotted all the way to dirt at the very base of the 15"-18" diameter trunk. Sorry my photo doesn't allow you to see into the hole to see the ground fully exposed, but it is hollow all the way to the ground. No wood left at the bottom. I'm sure rain gets in there constantly, although I've never seen it collected in the hole, so the ground must absorb it pretty well. The hollow part is about 1/5 the diameter of the entire trunk,

so the perimeter of the trunk appears to be supporting the tree OK (at present, at least). Sadly, I know so little about trees. My question, is: Does a hole at the base of a tree necessarily mean it is in jeopardy of coming down? Should we just go on and take it out? This thing sits only 13' or so feet from my house and as you see in the photo, it also sits very close to our fencing. If it ever came down in a storm, the left side we just replaced due to storm/linb falling damage this past year. So if this tree fails, it will take out one or the other, causing major damage if it falls the house direction. It provides a good deal of shade back there, so the hubs is hesitant to remove it. But I'm worried it will come down on the house one day, we plan to call someone for their professional opinion next week to evaluate the situation. Thought I'd bounce it off anyone here with tree expertise. The hole is just left of the visible knot in this picture below. Second photo shows it closer. I appreciate any and all input.

Comments (2)