SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
symphonycook

Re-finishing Wax Floors...With Oil

symphonycook
7 years ago

Hi! We have an older house that has hardwood covered with dark paste wax. Some of the floors have seen considerable use over the years and need to be refinished. I really don't want to use wax again and am wondering if I can sand the floors and apply an oil finish instead? I would love to do poly, but it will be impossible to remove all the wax due to deep grooves between all the boards and the wood's open grain. I don't want to risk all that work only to find that my poly won't cure.

I understand if the oil won't stick to areas that still have wax, but is that going to actually pose a problem? Could I just wipe off the oil where it hasn't absorbed? Or will I have a completely ruined finish?

I did re-finish a portion of the foyer where all of the existing finish had worn off. I sanded, stained to match the rest of the floor and just re-waxed, but it just didn't gleam the way the rest of the floor did, which makes me think there is more than just wax applied. I also want to put hard wood in the dining room which connects directly to the foyer and if I can refinish the foyer floor, I can probably tie it in nicely with the dining room- if not, then I will need to replace the foyer floor as well, to match.

Thanks for our help!

Comment (1)