SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessica_baker5

Yard with lots of potential, but I don't know what to do. Please help!

Jessica Baker
7 years ago

Backstory:

My house came with a backyard of overgrown, feral trees and shrubs, a lawn of weeds, a woefully squiggly DIY retaining wall and a beautiful deck that was falling apart from a lack of maintenance.
Over the last couple years I fixed the lawn, made a straight-line retaining wall that doesn't fall down, fixed & painted the deck, chopped down the overgrown tree that blocked entry into the yard, removed the bush I didn't want and planted a spruce to give some privacy from the backyard neighbours' bay window.

Goals:

This year we want to install an 8'x10' shed (already purchased) and a vegetable garden.

But where? How do I make this a functioning and pretty (in the winter and summer) outdoor living space? That cherry tree in the middle of nowhere is annoying, but I love the cherries. I'm willing to move/remove the borders of the retaining wall, the spruce tree can be moved if I absolutely need to (I still think it's the best solution for privacy), and I will chop down the cherry tree in the lawn if I can plant a new one elsewhere.

Can you help me? Please?

Comments (14)