SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevin_forst

Please help! I don't know what I'm doing.

Kevin Forst
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I am new to vermicomposting and wanted some advice. I recently started a worm bin in an 18 gallon Rubbermaid tub, using mostly coconut coir with a little bit of shredded newspaper and cardboard. It is outdoors. I have several questions. First, if I am outside looking through the bin once a day to check on my worms is that bad? Second, it has been almost two weeks since I added the worms and they still don't appear to be eating. There is a fairly large amount of white mites on top and when I dug down to where I first put the food it is swarming with maggots. What should I do and am I doing something wrong?!?!

Comments (9)

• Kevin Forst
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I just added a layer of dry newspaper and cardboard shred. And then a peice of cardboard over it.

• Priswell
    5 years ago

How many worms do you have? How much food are you adding? It's not unusual for worms to take a while to settle in and appear to not eat, or to actually not eat as they get acclimated.

If you have maggots (are they black soldier fly larvae or regular fly maggots?), it's a sign that you are feeding them too much.

Also, make sure that your bin is out of the sun.

• Kevin Forst
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I think I put way to much food in the first time. I started with 500 worms, and yeah I'm 99% sure they are black soldier fly. I just don't want them to take all the food from my worms. Also I drilled a bunch of 1/8 in holes on the bottom for drainage, is the sufficent?

• Priswell
    5 years ago

It's not unusual to find BSFL in a worm bin. But large numbers are a sure indicator that you have put too much food in. They like fresh food like fruits and veggies best.

Some people like BSFL in their bins because the larvae will break down whatever food is there, consume what they want, and then the worms can clean up the rest.

But, there are two problems if it gets out of hand. First, the BSFL will break down fresh fruits and veggies, and release a lot of the water. Then the juices begin to ferment and become acidic. Worms hate that kind of environment, and it will even kill them. You can tell if it's come to that by the smell. Sharp, acidic.

Secondly, BSFL eat in a hurry. It's a feeding frenzy. There's lots of movement, rushing, and feeding. The worms don't really like that, and they will move far to the sides until the BSFL are done partying. If you have a bin full of partying BSFL, there will be no room for the worms, and they will give up and die between being pushed to the edges and beyond, and the acidic environment.

BSFL and worms can cohabit, but only if the BSFL are in small populations.

I suggest that you put in more bedding. If you have room in the bin, and it looks like you do, double it. Also, put in a few handsful of "clean" dirt. You don't normally need dirt in a worm bin, but dirt is a very forgiving worm bin filler. There is a lot of bacteria in dirt and it will help to absorb some of that extra food, and help level things out in the bin.

Kevin Forst thanked Priswell
  • Kevin Forst
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I spent a while digging through it and making sure there wasn't any large peices of food and picking out the BSFL. Now the only thing left in there is a corn Cobb right on top. How do i know when it's safe to start adding food again?

• Kevin Forst
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Does it matter if I bury the food or not? How am I supposed to know if they are eating it if it's buried?

• Priswell
    5 years ago

You bury it just far enough under the surface to suppress any possible smells, (although with corn meal/oatmeal there probably wont be any), but when you want to take a look, you just gently remove the bedding over your "food plug" and take a look. The worms will immediately dive for cover, but you should get a good enough look to see what's going on.

• Kevin Forst
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ok thank you. I'll give it some time and then give some food a shot