SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethohio3

Reveal of draft (bethohio3, ARG)

Beth
7 years ago

Note: This is still in draft form. There are things we know are changing, but I'm going to post the kitchen to the kitchen forum in the next day or so, and thought people might want to see it here, too :-) Since it is a draft, it means that not everything is worked out, that not all the windows are shown, etc. etc. etc.

For bigger pictures, use this link.

Preliminary Design

This is the initial design ARG put together, based on a bunch of things I emailed him, including a bubble diagram and our current home's plan.

You'll note that he proposed two garages--the front side entry for everyday use and the rear side entry for my husband's garage.

We discussed this in length and then a day or two later discussed it further. I found that at our first conversation, it was hard for me to voice objections (my fault, not Doug's). I overcame that :-).

At our second conversation, a few things happened:

• I dug my heels in--I want a front entry garage. DH and I explained the family rules--whoever cares most, wins. I cared a lot. I did not want a side entry garage. And I didn't want a lot of driveway. ARG tried, he really did :-)
  • I wanted my kitchen to support a beverage center--that's really important to me
  • I want a bay window in my study (so I ended up getting the 'front' study
  • We discussed swapping the MBR and MBA, but that would be at the cost of additional hallway

At our next conversation, ARG sent us this:

This version is still a draft, but we think we're really close.

Things I really love:

• I get my front entry garage

• Our studies--they will be 'bedrooms' but we'll be able to use them as our offices and with the pocket door, have line of sight to be together even when we're working

• The open Living/Dining/Kitchen area--it's perfect for how we live day to day and for how we entertain

• That I get my beverage center :-)

• Windows, windows, windows

• The practical area of the garage for trash/recycling

• DH gets a huge auto shop, including a spot for his workbench, although it isn't as long as shown here. (I think he is more emotionally attached to his workbench than to any piece of furniture in our house). He is actually going to put it under the windows so that he can put shelves along the wall (which may or may not be that long)

• The cool way ARG described the stairs to the basement--you can't tell from this sketch but it's going to be awesome

Things we've discussed:

• Increasing the size of the master bedroom by 2', possibly rotating the bed 90 degrees.
  • Access to the hot tub from the MBA and/or MBR (as well as from the main area)
  • Removing the tub from the MBA in favor of a 2 person shower
  • Putting the laundry in the closet currently marked "Games Closet"
  • Increasing the width of the hallway that says "Printer/supplies" so that it can have built in bookcases
  • (This one is new to ARG): make the full bath the entire width of the bedroom, allowing for some storage space in there, and add a reach in closet to the bedroom instead
  • We don't really care about having a front porch but the floor plan and roofline call for one. Given that, we may bring the house forward another couple of feet, so that space is usable to us.
  • Swapping the Kitchen to be in the rear and the Dining room to be in the front (this was a matter of much animated discussion), with the entry way from the mudroom being between them
  • The shape and configuration of the mudroom area: TBD

I'm still mulling over the TV thing--I haven't had a TV in my living room for 20 years. OTH, we don't have a secondary gathering space anymore, so.....

I'm looking forward to thoughts--I'm excited about where this is going and think we'll have a house that really works for us.

Comments (27)