SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arisyn

New Kordes Roses on Newflora

Arisyn
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Newflora updated their website with some new roses! Might have missed some, but here are the ones that I haven't seen before:

Firebird Citiscape (Floribunda)

Mango Veranda (Floribunda)

Sierra Lady (Floribunda)

Kiss Me Kate Arborose (Climber)

Tangerine Skies Arborose (Climber)

Oh Happy Day Eleganza (HT, 2015 ADR winner)

Both Kiss Me Kate and Tangerine Skies have max stars for fragrance, black spot, and mildew! I have no more space for a climber but Kiss Me Kate is really temping me.

I hope Oh Happy Day will be available somewhere soon, I'm weak to this type of cream/apricot/pink blend...

My orders for 2017 haven't arrived yet, is it too early to dream about 2018 orders? XD

Comments (55)

• User
    7 years ago

Please, no more blackspot-resistant or ADR Kordes.. Got to save the money for kids' college tuitions. Mentally digging planting holes now....

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    7 years ago

want "Oh happy day" and " kiss me kate "

• Related Discussions

new kordes roses: Summer Romance and First Crush

Q

Comments (79)
    @Liz Bell summer romance prefers full sun here in the south and they do not burn in all day sun. As long as they get 6 or more hours of sun it does well Mine got afternoon dappled shade after 1 pm from a nearby tree until the sun shifted enough in late afternoon to provide more direct sun. So if your areas can provide at least 6 hours it should be great. Kordes here seem to prefer all day sun compared to Austin’s. Our zones are probably not very different since I am in alabama
    ...See More

Lots of new Kordes roses at Home Depot

Q

Comments (27)
    I have been seeing the Kordes Clean n Easy roses at a couple of places near me. Did not see them at Lowe's here when I checked. But I did find them at a couple of garden centres & Canadian tire. I picked up cherry lady (aka fiji), Rosanna & Poseidon. They also had a number of others - about 10 varieties I've seen. The only one I haven't seen is brothers Grimm. That's one of the ones on my wish list. But it's nice to see them available in Ontario. I prefer to buy larger potted plants than bare roots if I can.
    ...See More

J&P email with new roses! Do you have Bliss or Oh Happy Day?

Q

Comments (15)
    Bliss arrived from Roses Unlimited 5 weeks ago at 10" tall & wide. (Wanted a pair, but Pat only had one.) Repotted into a 3-gallon, it's grown well in that short time. Just went out to measure & it's now 16" x 16". Semi-glossy leaves healthy no spray through hot days of mid to high 90's, overnights cooling to 70, high humidity & frequent rain. After a week, a terminal bud began to develop & opened 10 days later (noted on my calendar, lol). Creamy pink infused with apricot, that first 2" flower held fresh for 9 days. Pretty amazing, considering how often I nose nuzzled the many baby petals to sample its perfume, catching new nuances of complexity each time. A mixture of ripe non-citrus fruits with a touch of vanilla cream, similar to fruit nougat, in a soft swirl of floral minibursts my memory associates with ylang ylang. More than a sensory delight - a spiritual uplift. This rose is well named. Back to earth - began pinching for structure after that bloom indulgence & the baby rose responded with new branching. Allowed only one of those side shoots a single bloom (so I could bliss out again). Snapped off at the peduncle base as the sepals descended, that bud went into a small blue bottle vase & accompanied me from desk to night table for several days, till it dried in perfect form in the air conditioning. Even dried, it retained the ghost of its perfume. That bloom opened to 3", more petal & fragrance packed than the first. Dutifully nipped several more buds to direct the rose's energy into root & branch growth. Measuring Bliss' current stature a few minutes ago, spied a new bud just beginning to form along a side branch. Compelled to let that one bloom, too. Having only spent 38 days with Bliss as of today, have to say I'm besotten. Sue
    ...See More

NewFlora was acquired by Ball Horticultural--which also owns Conard-Py

Q

Comments (3)
    jasminerose4u, Southern California 9b Thank you, Henry. I'm looking forward to when Kordes roses will be shown on the Star Roses and Plants website. They aren't listed there for 2018, although the roses are available elsewhere. It will happen in the 2019 season as per wirosarian on this thread: Have-we-lost-our-kordes-rose-agent? http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/5012335/kordes-usa-website?n=5
    ...See More
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    7 years ago

Yes where can we buy these? Seems like such a tease to show how beautiful they are but I didn't see a link on their site to purchase:)

• marcindy
    7 years ago

I think we need to start a petition to be able to order directly from Newflora!! lol On second thought, my bank account would not agree with that...:-)

Chris, please convey my deepest thank you to the Kordes family/group for their roses that gives rose lovers like myself who live in harsh climates so many beautiful and healthy roses.

• bethnorcal9
    7 years ago

Ok... I want OH HAPPY DAY and TANGERINE SKIES.

• chris2486
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone - more to come as I work through the introductions... I will tell Kordes. Lilyfinch there is a place on the website -one of the top buttons which says "where to buy" All of these are new releases so you will see the budded and field grown own-root in spring 2018 but there should be some availability of band pots in the website sellers this year.

• suncoastflowers
    7 years ago

Does KIss Me Kate repeat?

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    7 years ago

Very nice selection the waiting is hard.

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    7 years ago

Roses Unlimited does list Tangerine Skies and some of the other new Kordes varieties on their website this year. Scroll down the page of their collections for their Kordes collection:

Rose collections at Roses Unlimited

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    7 years ago

Oh dear y'all! I got my hands on two Kiss Me Kate this past fall from FilRoses. Chris has asked me not to order from them due to the insects I think but I simply can't help myself. I also ordered another one that says Kordes/Marchen named Waves that's a beautiful beautiful pink. They have some really gorgeous roses but my last order of a bunch of roses was confiscated at the New York airport and destroyed. Instead of returning them to FilRoses they destroyed them. I was sick and EXTREMELY mad. Anyways I think they halted shipment to the states for now but that may have changed. Someone else might know bc I know a few others order from them too. Sorry Chris but I'm very weak and they come super clean as bare roots so I'm hoping everything is safe. Judy

• chris2486
    7 years ago

Judy, it is illegal to ship into the USA unless it carries the correct phyto -sanitary and that it destined to an approved USDA quarantine site. FilRose is not authorized to ship into the USA so they have their own problems. There are very sound reasons for this and one of the big reasons is diseases like Rose Rosette which came from Asia entered exactly this way by shipments of roses from another country. There is a serious disease (Raulstonia) now in Europe and all shipments need to carry a special phyto-sanitary for this disease. There is also two new insects that can come in as a larva in the rose stem and it have the potential to destroy our forests. Many of the potential diseases brought in with roses can destroy the fruit industry and maybe the rose industry.

With all due respect you do not know what is coming with the rose shipments, as you are not an expert. I do not think this is about being weak - it is about not being responsible. There is no new rose variety so important that you put the livelihood of other people at risk or destroy the rose industry, fruit industry and forests.

Forgive me if I sound harsh but it really is not OK to do this. I hope the USDA fined FiloRoses a lot for the shipment and I think you also could be a risk for fines for the roses too.

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    7 years ago

chris

Can you please tell me more about "Sierra lady " floribunda . Is the color Orange or apricot ? Does it tolerate heat & humidity ? bush size ? fragrance ?

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    7 years ago

Kiss me Kate and Tangerine Skies, definitely wants them. The problem is I have no room and they keep creating new roses!

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    7 years ago

I was expecting this reply from Chris but I won't dampen this thread anymore. Kordes does have glorious roses and here's hoping FilRoses does know what they're doing bc I surely don't want to be part of any issues from disease or insects.

As it stands now they are not in trouble for shipping to the US and I would bet your bottom dollar someone took the roses and planted them in their own yard :(( You are totally correct Chris, I am not an expert and I did trust FilRoses to do things correctly and really didn't think a company wouldn't but I will now.

I would like to say though now that Chris has explained it better I can see why it's best to be patient and wait until the roses are grown here. Her advice and knowledge is always nice to have on our forum.

Hopefully Chris will answer y'all questions when she gets back on.

Sorry y'all!

• User
    7 years ago

Judy, kudos to you for being so gracious taking critisms. It is not easy, at all. I would buy from them had I known them, and now I know I should not, thanks to you and Chris

• chris2486
    7 years ago

Judy you are a good soul, but I would bet you a lot of money that the USDA took those roses to the incinerator and destroyed them - USDA is a professional and organized group. You have no idea the process that occurs twice a year when we legally bring the Kordes varieties into the USA under a USDA permit. We never know whether they will pass and often they are sent from Seattle to Washington DC to special labs to make sure there are not issues. If they find insects or disease they destroy the material. I do think FilRoses knows they are not supposed to do this and no they probably cannot guarantee that there are no diseases or insects. We and Kordes do our best, but we do not know for sure until all inspections are finished.

Answers to other questions:

Yes Kiss me Kate repeats. I will say it is slower to bloom in our trial field than some of our other climbers but it has a good bloom period.

I find Sierra Lady charming. Sierra Lady is a dark orange in cool weather and is an apricot in warm weather. On our website I put images of it taken in spring and in summer to show the different coloration. A good floribunda rose that is very adapted to heat and humidity. Moderately fragrant, free flowering and a fairly compact bush. For those in the south it is produced by K&M roses on fortuniana rootstock and is also a good own root roses. It is also produced in Canada and should become more available.

• Arisyn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow, I didn't know FilRoses was shipping roses to US illegally. I have seen them mentioned on this forum, so I thought they were legit.

Chris - Do you have more photos of Oh Happy Day? There's one on HMF, and it's much paler than what's on Newflora's website. Still pretty, but just wondering how much the color fades.

For those of us that have fallen for Kiss Me Kate, there are more photos on Kordes and HMF. So Beautiful.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Roseseek (Kim) and several of us have mentioned a number of times in various threads that is illegal for us to import plant material into the U.S. without a phytosanitary certificate, quarantine, and inspection, all that importer's expense. I totally agree with what Chris has said. Diane

• suncoastflowers
    7 years ago

All the new introductions are gorgeous.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    7 years ago

Thanks Chris. After all of your info about this I have contacted FilRoses and asked for any certificates they have and would like to get your input if and when they send anything. I do have one more question if it's ok. Well two questions.

Do the insects have to have a certain thickness of canes to be able to get inside and get transferred here?

Are there any other nurseries we need to avoid or just a certain area?

Thank you farmerduck! I'm just sorry I sent this post in the wrong direction with my bad actions for ordering them.

Thanks, Judy

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    7 years ago

Ok thanks Chris. I appreciate all your feed back.

• Sarah z8
    7 years ago

The roses come into Seattle? Neat, I'll be waiting at the docks! A little strange though as it seems difficult to find any locally and apparently a great climate for them here.

I'm always jealous when the East coasters find them at the box stores! Thanks for all your time and information Chris! It's very good of you to share your knowledge!

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    7 years ago

Chris

which climber is suitable for the hot & humid weather that has continuous bloom and fragrance ?

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    7 years ago

I would be interested in that answer as well

• suncoastflowers
    7 years ago

Me too!

• bella rosa
    7 years ago

I love all of these introductions. Thanks Chris for sharing this information.

• chris2486
    7 years ago

Sarah - yes so strange about Seattle - if you go up to Vancouver BC the public parks are full of Kordes roses even on Victoria at the Government buildings. Kordes roses are planted there because they can be managed no spray in the cool damp climate. I do think you will see some Kordes this year maybe at Fred Meyer and Lowes. There is now a company distributing in the Pacific NW.

Of the two that everyone is asking about I am more sure that Tangerine Skies will perform because of the start of trialing in the south. Kiss Me Kate has not gone to the south for trialing yet. From my experience here in my hot summers (100 degrees+) I have not seen any problems. It is also winning awards in trials in southern Europe. Sorry not to have more definitive information but trialing takes time.

Of the other Arborose climbers Quicksilver, Florentina, Bajazzo, Honeymoon and especially Orange Flare have all done quite well.

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    7 years ago

Thanks Chris !

When can we see the new varieties on Fortuniana root stock ?

• chris2486
    7 years ago

SierraLlady is already at K&M Roses and I understand doing very well. I will be sending out some fresh grafting material in spring to those that ask for it. I always wonder how they will perform on Fortuniana, but you don't know until we try. With some many varieties it adds a lot of vigor - we will see with the new introductions.

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    7 years ago

Chris

I actually ordered Sierra lady & Savannah from K&M this week .

Pleeeese send cuttings of Quicksilver Arborrose and other varieties suitable for heat to k & M soon .

• Volha Manusovich
    7 years ago

Will florentina be available at Lowes in Texas?

• vasue VA
    7 years ago

Arisyn, thanks for the heads up on these new releases! Emailed several nurseries last Monday inquiring about availability of Kiss Me Kate Arborose climber - RU, ARE, Chamblee's, K & M, Northland & Cool Roses. Replies from all but Northland Rosarium. Pat Henry of Roses Unlimited will have Kiss Me Kate available in early June. Pairs of this & Tangerine Skies heading my way then. Sue

7 years ago

Hi Chris, do you know whether Kiss me Kate and Tangerine Skies are "cane" hardy in colder zones? I have yet to grow a cane hardy rose from Kordes. I have Westerland and Rosarium Uetersen for two years now and they are not cane hardy. They survived the winter but I grow them like small shrubs. They aren't even bigger than my hybrid teas. It probably needs time or I got some duds.

• chris2486
    7 years ago

Hardy climbers is something I wish I had more data on. I am not surprised by Rosarium U and Westerland. Older varieties and Kordes lists them on their website as shrubs/climbers which I interpret as not being able to sustain canes tall enough to be considered climbers in colder climates but hardy enough grow in these climates.. By colder climates I mean USDA Zones 4 & 5. We did do some testing of some earlier releases some years ago. Golden Gate lived for a few years in Zone 4 and then in a particularly harsh winter it died. Laguna was the best of the climbers in the cold zones. Hardy and able to build back canes fairly quickly. I would not recommend Rosanna after our trial.

For the new climbers we do not have really any hard data. My experience is it takes about 4 years of trialing to know. One climber being sold in Canada (by Bakker) that I think is cold hardy is Hella. It has not gotten much attention, but is quite nice. A few early reports indicate Florentina is doing well. I have no idea about Kiss Me Kate or Tangerine Dreams. My guess is Kiss Me Kate will be the better of the two. I would be cautious about Quicksilver as I think it will be hardy but not grow tall enough - we will get a trial organized.

I would love some more data from those growing the climbers in cold zones. Your opinions would be most helpful.

Hella

7 years ago

Thank you for sharing your experience and input with us, Chris. You are an invaluable source of information for the average gardener like myself. Hella looks beautiful. It reminds me of iceberg. I haven't had much success with iceberg but this is definitely a good alternative. Laguna, Golden Gate and Rosanna are available at our local nurseries, at least they were last season. I do like them all but I didn't want to take a chance on them if they are not cane hardy. I will look for Laguna then and give it a try. I do love florentina and is a must have on my list. I will grow it if I come across it and will definitely share my experience with you and all our fellow gardeners on the forums. I will keep you posted if I get the chance to grow them.

• chris2486
    7 years ago

What part of Canada are you located in? Hella is much healthier than Iceberg. Light green foliage and these really distinctive soft long prickles along the stem just below the buds - so soft they don't hurt. Very good on repeat.

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    7 years ago

There are nice pictures of Hella from someone in zone 5b on Help Me Find: Hella. I love my Iceberg climbers, but this one looks incredible. Thanks, Chris.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    7 years ago

I agree, that is so cool

• bella rosa
    7 years ago

Here's a few observations from my Zone 5 garden in growing Kordes climbers:

Laguna:

I grow Laguna in my zone 5 garden and its cane hardy. Mine is 3 years old and around 8 feet tall. It does get some dieback, but bounces back very quickly. One of my favorite Kordes climbers. I have two and am ordering another one from RU.

Rosanna:

Rosanna was not cane hardy for me. She had a lot of winter dieback, which I was surprised to see last Spring especially because Winter was very "mild" for us. I ended up cutting off a lot of dieback - more than half - and moving her to a protected area. She grew to around 7 feet tall by Fall 2016 and had just a few blooms. I hope she makes it through Winter. She has the most amazing coral blooms, which seem to last forever.

Rosarium Uetersen:

I also grow Rosarium Uetersen. Not a very tall climber in my garden. Has only grown to around 3 feet in the last 2 years. Still, the blooms are stunning, so she will always have a place in my garden. This year, I've purchased Quicksilver and Florentina from Palatine and can't wait to see how they will do.

Amadeus:

Planted in 2013 at the same time as Laguna, Amadeus is a beautiful cane hardy red climber that I can't recommend enough. Hardy climber with great disease resistance. Mine has grown to at least 10 feet. Always in bloom with a rich true red color. Definitely make room in your garden for this beauty.

I love Kordes climbers and hope to add more to my garden - assuming I don't run out of room (or $$$).

• chris2486
    7 years ago

There is a sport of Rosarium Uetersen called Seminole Fire in the USA and I think only Chamblee is selling it right now. It is coral colored and beautiful. I agree with Bella Rosa that Amadeus is a big beautiful red climber and not many places selling it. It is vigorous and cold hardy but not perfect on black spot but still worthy of the garden.

In my garden Seminole Fire

Amadeus

7 years ago

I live in the Greater Toronto Area in the province of Ontario. My gardening zone is traditionally 5b.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I didn't think Amadeus is cane hardy in zone 5 as well. Wow, definitely good to know. I would think Amadeus and Hella would look good next to one another. Thanks for seminole fire! I never heard of this rose before. I am interested in Moonlight. Is it cane hardy in my zone?

• bella rosa
    7 years ago

Chris, beautiful pics! Seminole Fire in the USA is just stunning. As for Amadeus, mine never get blackspot. I have two of them. Both planted in an open area - entrance way to my gazebo. To me their leaves are just as beautiful as the flowers. I really like their deep glossy leaves.

7 years ago

Thank you Bella, since we are in similar zone, I am happy to give Amadeus a chance if I come across her this year. It is one of the roses on my past "must have list" but I have never seen it in person. I know Palatine has it and I am hoping it will be available near me this spring as Palatine has supplied roses to my local nurseries last year. The other red Kordes I am really interested is Florentina. I would love to know how this one does as well. Sorry if I am being to "info obsessed" here..lol.

• romogen
    7 years ago

@Chris2486 ... I'm glad you're participating on this forum, it has led me to order Quicksilver from Northland Rosarium this season. I also recently found out that Pashmina Summerhouse might be the same as Pompon Flower Circus? I've been admiring NewFlora's cut flowers page. Will you please tell me if the following florist roses have been rechristened with new names and sold as garden roses? Thanks!

White Masquerade Freelander

Lovely Antique Freelander

Oriental Freelander

Blue Pompon Freelander

Antique Carmel

Ave Maria Summerhouse

Lemon Pompon

• chris2486
    7 years ago

Sorry, Pompon Flower Circus is KORfloci05 and Pashmina Freelander is KORfre0007 completely different roses from different breeding years. We have never put Pashmina in the garden market and pulled Pompon Veranda because the flower had such a hard time opening-up in so many climates. It is possible that in other countries KORfloci05 was given the name Pashmina, but I do not have that information handy. The flowers shape and color is somewhat similar, but the plant appearance is really quite different. As you probably know it is the denomination that is the identification that matters and never changes from country to country despite the commercial name changing in different markets. Kordes has used Pashmina as a commercial name on various cultivars.

We have had very few cut flower roses cross over to garden roses. Usually the characteristics that make a good cut flower do not make a good garden rose and visa versa. The issues are usually hardiness, disease resistance, habit and self cleaning ability. We do have some of the small cut flower growers trying some of the garden roses as cut flowers and a few of these will work where the roses are not shipped long distances. Antique Caramel has been used as a garden rose, but we see it growing pretty linear to a height of 7 feet which is not what I like in a garden rose, but it is pretty good on black spot. We do not plan to release any other of the varieties above into the garden flower market.

• bella rosa
    7 years ago

jjpeace, no problem with being "info obsessed". i'm the same way! I think you'll really like Amadeus. For me, Kordes climbers have done really well in my zone 5 garden. I also have a few of the Canadian Explorer roses: William Baffin and John Davis. Both are super hardy roses. JD is my favorite. Keep us posted on how Amadeus does in your garden. I purchased mine from Palatine.

Chris, thanks again for the pic. I just purchased Seminole Fire from Chamblee. I hope it turns out to be a hardier rose than my Rosarium Uetersen rose. Thanks again for all the advice and wonderful pics.

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    7 years ago

I contacted Cool Roses and K &M nurseries to contact Chris to get us in the South some of Kordes new releases on Fortuniana . Hope they do it soon .

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    7 years ago

Great info on zone 5 climbers, Bella Rosa - I agree with your assessments. For me, Jasmina has been reasonably cane hardy but not a very robust bloomer in my zone 5. Rosarium Uetersen has been rock solid hardy and fairly trouble free, so perhaps by z5b is a touch warmer than jjpeace, since it wasn't hardy there. I've only overwintered Amadeus one year but so far so good. Other hardy Kordes climbers have been Antique 89 and Harlekin - not always the entire cane surviving, but pretty good. Illusion has had no problems with my zone 5 winters but isn't as robust as Quadra or the othe Canadian explorers that Bella Rosa mentioned.

I've found Florentina to be very cane hardy in my zone 5, better even than The Prince's Trust that started out more robust but hasn't been as enthusiastic in later years as Florentina. I really love that rose and recommend it in cold zones - it's robust and has a quick rebloom with terrific deep red color. I planted Quicksilver last summer but it didn't get established, so I'm replacing it this year. It's good to know it might appreciate some TLC.

FWIW, I've tried Hella twice in my zone 5 yard and it hasn't overwintered at all. Moonlight I've tried at least 3 times, and I keep being sure it will survive each time, but it doesn't. Golden Gate I only tried once in a non-ideal spot, but it didn't survive either. Rosanna has gotten through one winter but I don't think it was fully cane hardy. I have Seminole Fire on order from Chamblees and am looking forward to seeing how it does.

Thanks for the extra information on the new releases Chris - we're so glad you chime in with feedback!

Cynthia

7 years ago

Thanks Nippstress for sharing your experience with these roses. Harlekin and Antique 89 are beautiful. One gardener at HMF stated that Harlekin is also disease free which is a bonus! I will keep my eyes open for them.

There is nothing more disheartening to grow climbing roses and find out that it doesn't "climb" in my zone. I think all these information shared across this forum is definitely invaluable not only to the average gardener like ourselves but professionals like Chris to know as well. Keep the information flowing!