SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosesmi5a

new kordes roses: Summer Romance and First Crush

rosesmi5a
7 years ago

Here in Michigan, I am always looking for roses that are healthy, heavy blooming, and fragrant. I am working my way through several choices. In the spring of 2015, I added the Kordes roses Summer Romance (3 plants) and First Crush (3 plants).

First Crush: didn't bloom the first year -- not one flower. Came through the winter OK, but did not send up any new growth. Leafed out, but sparsely. This year, as a two year old, it put out a total of 11 flowers-- between three plants. I am underwhelmed...I will give it one more year. I don't think it is the soil or location --- six feet behind the First Crush there is a four foot plant of Teasing Georgia that blooms non-stop.

Summer Romance: didn't bloom the first year. Came through the winter fine. Each of the three plants put out some (1-2 canes) new growth. Leaved out, but not a strong green presence. Total bloom, between three plants: 24 flowers. Not fragrant to my nose; the flowers that came in the fall were much prettier than those of the spring (it sat all summer doing nothing).

When I look at the growth of these plants, I wonder if they are some type of tetraploid? Being polyploid can produce thicker growth (leaves and stems) and more substance to the flowers, but it can also slow growth. Is that what I am seeing here?

I have to say, compared to my Buck roses, these two new Kordes are inferior as far as plant growth, plant looks, bloom output. What has been your experience with these two?

ps:...I also tried Kordes' Dark Desire -- labeled as a hybrid tea --this rose is a keeper and subject for an other post.

Comments (79)