SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
naughtilus

The ULTIMATE dummy proof container mix?

Naughtilus
7 years ago

I've been researching this 5-1-1/gritty phenomenon lately and I wanted to share some personal insight.

If I recall correctly, the concept was initially developed by Al as a sort of training wheels for newb amateur gardeners to stop killing their plants by obsessively over watering, followed by disappointment and dropping the hobby altogether. Though I don't mind it's gotten almost cult/trend proportions on the internet, let's get back to its core function, it essentially serves as adult diapers for dummies who cant be trusted with a watering can. Yes?

One problem with this is that a lot of people may obsess over a hobby (or a pet) early on but after the 'honeymoon' period is over, they significantly lower their interest. And now the amplitude shifts from excessive watering/fertilizing/smothering to inconsistent routine in giving plants elementary care. Dry gritty mixes imported from the bonsai culture are not fully dummy proof.

I am one of these newb dummies therefore I factored in this inevitable metamorphosis in my choice for potting media. For my citrus I eventually went with 3 parts perlite, 3 parts vermiculite, 3 parts vermicompost, 1 part humus rich garden soil (clay). I didn't have to do any sifting or hunt rare ingredients, everything is easily available. I got media that drains fast, doesn't compact, highly aerated, holds moisture and nutrients like a champ, no perched water even in over sized squat pots, which means roots can spread freely longer between re-potting. For supplements I use foliar fertilizer 11-3-5 with micro-nutrients.

I did everything wrong to this plant during the honeymoon phase and after, and yet it rewarded me with flush of new growth and flowers within few months from being planted as air layered branch. Meanwhile I killed several well established plants in commercial potting mix.

I'm writing this post to motivate Tapla and the Gardenweb community to come up with the ultimate dummy proof container mix for all plants and climates, easily available, with no effort involved. Be brave Al. Don't fear falling into Jane's carnivorous Nepenthes pitcher of criticism.

Comments (15)