SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marquisa_gw

Cement curing for dummies ...

Marquisa
19 years ago

Hello everyone  IÂve just completed my very first ever cement project  several small herb markers  each is 8-12" long, about 2" wide and 1 1/4" deep. I used the Poetry Stones molds and letters set with ordinary sand/cement mix, a small amount of colorant and acrylic admix. They really turned out much nicer than I expected and I can see myself expanding into other cement or hypertufa projects if these are successful  IÂm having a great time playing with my little mudpies!

The one thing I am a bit unclear on is the curing process  there seems to be different methods from doing nothing to water baths. I need these markers to be as winterproof / crack proof as possible (I am in S. Ontario Canada with lots of freeze/thaw cycles). After reading different forums on this site, it seems that a good plan would be to let the

pieces air dry for 24 hours, then place in a wet towel in a plastic bag for 3 days and into a water bath for a further week. Does this sound OK or is there a better way to ensure these markers will last in my garden?

Thanks for your advice!

Marquisa

Comments (5)

Sponsored