SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rhamel1888

Spring Fever

Im feeling it, and apparently so is my garden. These are alittle early, we got lots of snow still. Its melting fast, relatively mild weather today and for the next couple weeks. The plants are Early Daffodils, Wild Tulips and Muscari. Note this area is baking sun from sunrise to sunset, so they come much earlier than the shade plants(still covered in snow). Share your spring here!

Comments (52)

• ariel7576 (Puerto Vallarta, Mex.)
    7 years ago

Spring in Puerto Vallarta, looking toward los arcos, after an exceptionally rare February thunderstorm.

Rhamel (aka teengardener1888) thanked ariel7576 (Puerto Vallarta, Mex.)
  • Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    7 years ago

Signs of spring @ AL/FL border, all permanent ground plants, some cultivated, some on their own in mowed area.

Spiderwort (Tradescantia) and Oxalis crassipes.

Banana plant waking back up.

White violets.

Purple heart/queen waking up (Tradescantia pallida) with Sedum rupestre/reflexum.

Tradescantia cerinthoides.

More spiderwort & Crinum lily bulbs.

Henbit (Lamium)

Amaryllis bulbs (I think, they're new, found in pots someone's trash pile a few months ago.) The foliage in front is red spider/hurricane lilies that bloom in Sept.

Tradescantia sillamontana.

Somehow, this tiny bit of Begonia 'Beefsteak' survived winter.

• Related Discussions

Spring Fever

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks hostas_for_barb & don.... I'll check the list, but I've used it in the past to pick my hostas from so unless there are a few that are "new"........ Mojito might be pretty - I have a yellow and some blue in the area as well (blue ivory and sunpower as well as orange marmalade, tropical dancer and captains adventure). LOL So many choices :D My Facebook Album
    ...See More

Spring Fever

Q

Comments (44)
    Been busy today, moved my Echeveria Imbricata to a new home as it was offsetting like crazy and bursting out of the small clay pot it was living in. It now has plenty of room to spread out and should form a nice clump. Also I noticed that all is not lost with my Orostachys boehmeri. It was bursting from the planter below last year but every single branch produced a flower so I feared the worse. I looked at this a couple of months ago and there was no sign of anything living and I nearly trashed it. But looking today there are signs of life! I wonder if these new shoots are growing from seeds??
    ...See More

Spring Fever

Q

Comments (43)
    Fabulous photos, Isde! I love that fat Pachypodium (photo #4). Is that eburneum? Looks a little tall for brevicaule. Also love the Dorstenia gigas... and all the others for that matter :-)
    ...See More

Spring Fever Hits Hard

Q

Comments (13)
    Maryl, we have a manual watering system named Bob. Actually, right now the seedlings are under lights in the basement. We have shelving set up to hold over 2200 seedlings and will be adding some lights to accommodate about 280 more. Then they have to be squeezed into the greenhouse. The problem is the greenhouse is currently full (and stuffed to the brim) with tropicals. The hibiscus, gingers, and bananas Bob likes to grow take up a lot of room. Hybridizing is a lot of work but it is also the most fun thing we have ever done with plants. From late June through July, it's like every day is Christmas. Right now spring feels a long way off. We are expecting anywhere from 2 to 11 inches of snow, depending on which weather source you listen to. I am just going to stay in and plant daylily seeds. Nancy
    ...See More
    7 years ago

Flaming Katy (Kalanchoe blossfeldiana that survived at the roots.)

Queen's tears (Billbergia nutans) that got a little frost bite but wasn't killed, now blooming.

Wax Begonias.

Polka dot plant (Hypoestes)

Angel trumpets (Brugmansia)

Some snake plants (Sansevieria) that didn't fit in the pots I made to keep inside. I hadn't realized this spot was such an effective micro-climate. Hmm...

Swedish ivy / creeping Charlie (Plectranthus verticillatus)

Veronica arvensis, about as small as a flower can get and still be seen. They're about the size of a BB.

Found this gorgeous little whitish frog hanging out in the water in a (potted, the only one of my pics today that is) 'Foster's Striate' Billbergia plant.

7 years ago

Elephant ears (Colocasia esculenta) are waking up.

And Tradescantia 'Baby Bunny Bellies'

• Rhamel (aka teengardener1888)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Im so jealous of your climate. Some of those plants dont seem reliably hardy in your locale, must be luck

Original Author
    7 years ago

We arent reliably frost free till middle of May

• Randi Holbrook
    7 years ago

Wow! Look at that! Sure hope there aren't more cold snaps and these beauties go dormant. That banana plant--how exciting! And the colocasias are so regal! Very impressive!

7 years ago

Rhamel, you're right, some of them are pleasant surprises of things I ran out of room for, after potting up the biggest individuals of each kind. (Begonia 'Beefsteak,' snake plant, queen's tears & Kalanchoe)

Original Author
    7 years ago

The best I can say is that I once had a Canna I must had missed in my fall dig pop up(They are only hardy zone 7-8 south), but last year it was very mild. It sounds like you have fun with Tropicals, and your area is truly suitable for year round gatdening. Id be growing spinach and mustard greens all winter there!

Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Are Brugmansia reliably hardy?

7 years ago

Yes, but only from the roots. They "reliably" get zapped by frost in mid-bloom every year. It's the most horrible thing. I don't know if I have the fortitude for them! LOL!

Rhamel (aka teengardener1888) thanked Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
  • M P
    7 years ago

Always my first blooms, in the morning sun along a brick walkway. Next will be fothergilla "Mt. Airy", but not yet.

Rhamel (aka teengardener1888) thanked M P
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That sounds horrible! They are grown here as annuals or saved indoors, they seem to look tired at the end of the season(but maybe because of cooler temps)

Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh those crocuses are lovely! I always keep an eye out for my snowdrops(earliest flower I see). In good years they bloom Feb. 28. Then I see crocus.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Your weather is bound to be similar to mine. Hang in there, we northerners are tough. The Tulips, Magnolias and Pussy Willows are coming!

• goldstar135
    7 years ago

Still in the dead of winter for me, although today was unusually warm (60*F something). Spring is on the horizon :)

Rhamel (aka teengardener1888) thanked goldstar135
  • massey516 (NW Montana z 4b)
    7 years ago

Still winter and miles and miles of snow here. It is so interesting to see plants that I have on a window sill growing in your garden!

Rhamel (aka teengardener1888) thanked massey516 (NW Montana z 4b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OH MY STARS! FOUND SNOWDROPS IN MY BACKYARD!!!! These are super early, but this brick and sun provide a warm microclimate. Still sporadic snow on ground

• myermike_1micha
    7 years ago

I'll bet you could grow a nice FIG tree in ground and push a few southern zoned plants there! Boy, would I give that a shot! I do it all the time here in COLD New England....I have yet to see anything show signs of mine up here but I do have Brugmansia, lots of them all bare in the basement darkness just dying to go outside...

Beautiful everyone.

Rhamel (aka teengardener1888) thanked myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    7 years ago

These snowdrops were there when I moved here. That area has very rocky and dry soil. But I agree in a month or so ill be working that soil and planting some tender borderline hardy plants, a Chicago Fig might work. Last year my potted tomatoes there produced fruit considerably earlier than the ones elsewhere. I mighy try a needle palm too, they are supposedly hardy to 6b if protected. My snowdrops in my front yard havent grown am inch and are still covered in snow

• Debra (6a) West Ma.
    7 years ago

Yes, I have Spring fever too...planted seeds yesterday, 2 trays. My semi mini african violet is in bloom though....but can't get out to look at my gardens because....

We have been known to get frost up until the end of May. sigh..

Rhamel (aka teengardener1888) thanked Debra (6a) West Ma.
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Debra I know :/ My climate is virtually identical to both of you, being you live in Ma. I try luck the first week if may if the 10 day Forcast looks reliably warm (45℉+)

• User
    7 years ago

Great thread! I'm sure many are dying to get back into the soil. I used to get it I'm lucky enough to have two springs. zone 9 spring happening now in the GH and zone 5b spring in May.

seedlings that have just come up:

Marigold

Peas

Nasturtium

Citrus

California poppy

Glad to see you're all having some success thanks for sharing & HAPPY SPRING!

Here's a few pics

Tomato blooms

Banana waking up

Apple waking up

flowers are always blooming so I won't show those

an idea what the temperature has been like in the shade

Rhamel (aka teengardener1888) thanked User
  • Debra (6a) West Ma.
    7 years ago

It will be a warm week they say..so our snow will be gone I'm sure...then I can take a walk around & see what's what out there..

I have zinnias, moon flower, cardinal vine & blue lake beans that have just sprouted ...I only planted them 2 days ago.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Going to get near 70 for 2 days, bulbs will start to awaken

• User
    7 years ago

Rejoice those of you smothered in feet of snow and formidable cold!

My grass is green, the sun is shinning, tree buds are swelling, camellias are blooming. It feels like April. That just means one thing to me.

YARD WORK! Winter is the convenient excuse to stay inside and just 'chill'.

• MrBlubs
    7 years ago

We had a snow fall warning a week or so ago which was followed by a Chinook so there was a huge melt. The temp was far above zero all week with 16C weather on some days. People were wearing shorts and T-shirts! Though the Chinook left and now we're back below freezing with snow all week :\. Though there isn't alot of snow on the ground (in the sunny spots that is! I still can't see my pond)

I won't be seeing signs of life until at least the middle or end of April. Sometimes even the beginning of May. Though I get to escape to my Cabin in March which will be snow free and actually spring!

Pffff you think frost is bad in May? What about frost and snow?

That was May 22nd last year. I only buy plants After the 28th! Even then it can still snow in June! Our last frost date is the 25th of May, but you can never be too sure.

Robins should be arriving soon, so at least I have those to look out for

Rhamel (aka teengardener1888) thanked MrBlubs
  • User
    7 years ago

OMG snow in May and June that's not right

Original Author
    7 years ago

Yesterday warmest day in Feb. EVER! 69-70℉. Today expected to at lest tie it. Incredible. Causing my lilacs to wake up too early, NOOOO

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Sempervivums made it through the winter & lots of snow...most of it melted in past few days, but half of yard still has snow. These containers seem good, plants in one of them has some chewing on plants by rabbits!!!

Rhamel (aka teengardener1888) thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

73 degrees right now, this is unreal. Our old monthly record is 65

• User
    7 years ago

Oh those are outside succulents

• Debra (6a) West Ma.
    7 years ago

Rhamel, it's darn warm here too. windows open. whole house fan on.

right now it says 69* I like the 50's myself.

• User
    7 years ago

70 F. and full sun all day was a bit of a shock to the system after a near blizzard about two weeks ago. I actually came in from my yard work early as the sun was getting to me. At this rate, might not leave the house at all in 6 months.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Im not a fan of baking sun either, summer is rough on me. But better than that blizzard we got

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Matt

You mean sempervivums? Yes, they are hardy succulents...I am showing what they look like outside, after more than 2' of snow melted...these are grown in containers.

Rhamel (aka teengardener1888) thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • goldstar135
    7 years ago

It's been unusually warm these past few days, and as a result...

Guess what I found today!

7 years ago

All ground plants:

Azalea

Gardenia bud:

A sterile butterfly bush (Buddleia davidii cultivar.)

Dianthus has been blooming non-stop for over a year, since I put it here, but it looks refreshed:

Bulbs coming up, pretty sure they're Amaryllis. We will see whenever they bloom! Foliage in front is red spider/hurricane lilies (Lycoris radiata,a September bloomer,) and purple heart/queen (Tradescantia pallida) in the back.

Confederate roses get knocked back to the ground during a normal winter in this area, but unless something drastic is yet to happen, this young one has stayed alive to the tips. (Hibiscus mutabilis.)

Lantana camara, always starts again at the ground every spring.

Angel trumpets (Brugmansia suaveolens,) acts same as Lantana.

WJ (Tradescantia zebrina) waking up for the season, also disappears over winter.

Bananas, same thing, a real diva, a plant that indicates when a first frost has occurred, if you didn't get up early enough to be sure. Swedish ivy/creeping Charlie behind (Plectranthus verticillatus.)

7 years ago

First Venus looking glass sprout I've found (Triodanis.) I love these cute little plants, a dainty spring ephemeral, annual. No, I don't think that's right. It's probably a Veronica.

Tradescantia cerinthoides/blossfeldiana.

7 years ago

Cannas have awakened

• Debra (6a) West Ma.
    7 years ago

Oh, I use to grow cannas at our other house...hated digging them up though..

We had a heavy snow squall last night...weird. It's still wicked windy out there. it's 20* right now @ 3:00 pm.

7 years ago

Spiderwort in the "lawn" got a reprieve of another week. Mower wouldn't start.

• Debra (6a) West Ma.
    7 years ago

I had Spiderwort once...very invasive plant..

Hope your mower is ok...

Original Author
    7 years ago

Lovely plant, except when in my yard

7 years ago

The spiderwort is native. It's the grass that's invasive. TY, Debra! :+)

• Debra (6a) West Ma.
    7 years ago

Sigh....it's snowing out there, forecasting 2".....then next week a Nor'easter is on it's way.

7 years ago

I guess Phil's forecast was accurate again. Sorry though.

I dug up enough spiderwort to make a ring around this confederate rose (Hibiscus mutabilis.) There's enough still in the "lawn" to make it 4-5x as thick but this is how much energy I found for it.

• Debra (6a) West Ma.
    7 years ago

Good job Tiffany! Wish I could get my hands dirty outside. I used to have it growing in a raised bed & it got into the lawn too.

• Paul MI
    7 years ago

Every place has its good points and bad. Have lived in the South and in the islands. Heat and humidity doesn't suit me so summers in such areas are rough. Also miss having seasons in such places (and green Christmases do absolutely nothing for me). There are times I envy the plants that can be grown outdoors in such places, but there are plants we northerners have that they can't grow and our autumn colors are superior. :-)

This time of year, I hit a couple orchid shows for a nice uplifting "fix".