SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crockj

What to plant in hot/dry climate?

crockj
7 years ago

Hi!
I have a large (30 feet x 4 feet), raised, concrete-enclosed flower bed on my apartment patio in a very hot and dry climate (August is over 100 degrees), with poor soil in full sun. I'm in Washington, DC, but the urban climate in this raised flower bed is like a hot desert. What can I plant that will grow there?
I buy dry area/desert wildflower seed mixes, but lots of things in the mix won't grow. What does grow really well is Catchfly, (Silene armeria). Catchfly will grow like crazy and will self-seed like crazy every year. What does NOT grow is: cosmos, poppy, bachelor button/cornflower. Siberian wallflower will grow a little (but that takes two years to bloom, and doesn't really self-seed). Blue flax grows okay. Toadflax will grow a little, but it's scraggly and doesn't last long.
Another thing that grows really well is Rosemary, but that isn't a flower.
What else would grow really well in conditions where catchfly and rosemary thrive? Maybe I should look at succulents? There's portulaca/moss rose, but it is very low to the ground and wouldn't be that visible in the raised flower bed.
I would welcome any suggestions, annual or perennial. Thanks!

Comments (17)