SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

Calling all AZ, Central CA, Hot, Dry climate gardeners

Gardeners who have to deal with a lot of 100+ temperature, dry heat....

1. What has been bullet proof for you? Is there an class that you have a lot of success with?

2. What rose classes or specific rose (s) do you absolutely stay away from due to experience?

3.Have you made modifications and won the battle against a rose or certain class that does not perform well for others?

I am putting in my rose garden this year and have purchased so many roses. There are some varieties of which I have no fear. I know that Yves Piaget should do well here. I believe Belinda's Dream and Sally Holmes should fair well. The Austin's, if given good soil, adequate sun and ample moisture ( watering and mulching), should do well. I have also been taken by certain roses, have done my research and hopefully will win the battle ( Paul Neyron, La Reine, SDLM, Therese Bugnet, Excellenz von Schubert .... basically the rugosas, bourbons, polyanthus, and hybrid perpetuals that seem to be the problem child in many gardens.

What have your experiences been? Was drastic soil modification required? What products do you recommend?

I am a sponge, and am highly appreciative of all of the OGR and Austin gardeners who share their knowledge.

If you have any rose photos or garden shots I would love to see them; unfortunately with the exception of this web and HMF etc., it sounds awful, but I am deprived, as I rarely see such beauty and variety in rose gardens. It also helps me to visual what will work well in planning and design.

Lynn

Comments (21)