SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
52299allen

House Plan Review Please - Nelson Design Group 1379

BethA
7 years ago

Husband and I purchased 20 acres of family land (200 years) last year in central NC. Photo is attached. Most of the open areas are being farmed for hay. We are looking at building where the circle is (existing barn is south of the circle; existing mobile home north of the circle has been removed). DH has worked extensively over the past year thinning out trees and brush to open up the pond view. That's why we always wanted this piece of land - the pond that my great-grandparents built in the 1960s.

We don't have neighbors, but most new construction homes in the area follow the southern/country style. The house in the lower right corner is my parents - they moved the house from my land to their land and remodeled (1945 cape cod).

We are a family of 3 (early 40s with a 9 year old son). We really don't entertain or have overnight guests.

DH works from home and needs a dedicated office for privacy and tax purposes. I work from home 2-3 days a week and need a space to work with my laptop and some papers.

We want a laundry/mud room with a shower to DH/DS can clean up without tracking mud/dirt everywhere.

Views are towards the pond, so we want the living/great room to face the pond (and main road).

We found this plan last year and keep coming back to it. We thought if we needed to, we would try to find an architect, but they're few and far between in our area. We do have a few changes we would make, but I don't think they're really structural...

Bedroom 4 would be DH's office. Instead of a window, add a french door for outside access.

We don't need a dining room, eat in bar, AND breakfast nook. The nook would become a coffee/beverage bar and little sitting area.

The porch is huge (almost 1,000 sq ft). I've seen a version of this plan that doesn't wrap the porch on both sides... we would probably use that version.

We would add more windows in the great room and master... probably 2 more in each room.

The game room is huge. We would probably finish half and use the other half for storage instead of one big room.

Thoughts? Anything that is glaring and I've missed?

Comments (32)