SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srb2398061

Excess?

7 years ago

Okay - I am a material girl. Anyone who knows me knows I like "things" and that having a beautiful home is very important to me. But even I have my limit...

I subscribe to 1stDibs, an online place to shop for high end furniture and accessories, as well as fashion accessories and very high end vintage fashion. Today, they featured dream closets Just take a look at these!

https://www.1stdibs.com/blogs/the-study/dream-closets/

I considered having my own closets updated and called in a few chain closet design companies for estimates and ideas. First of all, the designers were idiots; second, the prices were astounding and this was for melamine - really pretty basic stuff - no extras or luxury items. They were going to cost me from $2000-5000 per closet. It didn't happen.

So, knowing those prices for schlock, seeing these closets today just made me cringe. One could build a typical family home for the price of these closets. And then there is the sheer volume of clothes and shoes. I have a LOT of shoe - I'm not hard on my shoes and some are nearly 20 years old and still in style. But the amount in some of these closets? Yikes!

When we lived in LA, the house we rented in Hancock Park had the most wonderful dressing room/closet off the master bedroom. It had a tall closet for evening wear, short closets for men's suits and my blouses/jackets, closets for pants, a closet for handbags and one for shoes. It wasn't terribly large, just very well designed. It even had very high up closets for hat boxes! There was a window seat bench, and a vanity and wash basin. It was heaven! But it was not elaborate - just nicely designed, built out of solid wood (probably in the 1930's) and all the closets had doors so there was no dust on things, nor things ruined by sunlight. There was a window with shutters on the bottom. I miss that closet.

The closets on 1st Dibs are like fixtures in a VERY high end boutique. The size is bigger than a MBR in even a large, luxurious house. All to hold more clothes than anyone could ever wear (especially when today, all one sees women in is work-out clothes an hoodies, even when shopping in luxury stores, and not much better when eating out in expensive restaurants.

The Queen and member of the Royal Family need very large closets and the Queen has a dresser to keep track of all her clothes, when she wore them and for what, and to make sure they are cleaned and pressed and any repairs needed are made. That's because she's the Queen of England. But a lady in Greenwich? Really? Does she even know what's in all those closets? Does she ever wear any of it? Does she have a ladies maid (I have a feeling they're as rare as unicorns these days!)?

This kind of excess and self importance makes my blood boil. Okay - rant over...

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio