SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scharmda

Range placement - start of new kitchen layout

scharmda
7 years ago

Feel free to skip to the paragraph above the layout if you just want to see my main questions without reading this background material.

I'm at the very beginning of my kitchen layout that I'm doing just to get a cost estimate on IKEA cabinets. I consider my kitchen challenging due to an irregular shape with 2 wide openings to other rooms, an exterior door, two stairways, a built-in pantry and upright freezer to work around. My current configuration is a U shape. It has always seemed functional enough to me as far as appliance placement.

I would love to come up with something that lets me put my range against the main wall so I can have a wall behind it and thus have a backsplash and also a vent (so I'm deciding against putting a range in the island). I feel like I'm running out of wall space if I do that since it places it so far left if I also leave room for the dishwasher between sink and range. If I place the dishwasher on the right side of the sink and next to the fridge, it crowds the fridge over to the right even more and infringes more on the eating area. We currently have a tight fit over there. I like the fridge there since it is close to the table which is handy putting away groceries and also during meals.

We thought about putting the dishwasher in an island to save room but then worried about dripping dirty dishes across the aisle from the sink when loading dishes. We also considered putting the dishwasher and sink both in island to be next to each other but I kind of want to leave the top of my island intact as a big prep area and for buffet lines.

If anybody can think of a good use of space that would get my range on the main wall, that would be great. I'll post my current progress on some base cabinets and appliances and the notes I made to show trouble areas. The areas in green are off limits for anything because they are current obstructions where people need to walk. The exterior door and both stairways on the left are seldom used but still need that clearance. I'm not going to worry about adding the rest of the cabinets to my planner until I get the basics ironed out.

Main questions right now: Is the range too far to the left (both visually and functionally)? I'm also wondering how big of an island I would be able to have. I want to figure out placement of those items before putting the rest of the cabinets in my design.

My current layout in my late '70s/early '80s kitchen:

Comments (21)