SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lawyerette

Help with kitchen layout - fridge placement/move appliances?

Diana Banks
6 years ago

Hello Houzzers! I just purchased a 1930s center hall colonial, and I'm struggling with how to best utilize space in the small (for today's standards) kitchen. The kitchen has awkward door and window placement, plus the previous owners took from the kitchen to create a hall closet.

Right now, we're debating two options - our contractor recommended that we move the fridge next to the sink, but I'm concerned about losing counter space. I think it might be best to get a counter depth fridge and place it in the corner created by the closet, opening into the range (French door style). That space is 39 inches wide (facing the range placement) x 30.5 inches depth.

Any thoughts? We're thinking of placing tall, shallow pantry cabinets next to the window. The empty space under the window is a radiator that we'd prefer not to lose. We're open to moving the range, sink, and dishwasher, but we'd prefer to leave them in place for cost reasons. Note that in the diagram, the closet is in the wrong place; the correct placement is in the full floor plan.

Thanks in advance for thoughts/advice!

Comments (10)