SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kooopons

How can I improve my layout?

kooopons
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We are embarking on a kitchen remodel...years in the making. I had liked our layout enough that at one point I was just going to paint my cabinets. We are now (after many other remodeling projects that got ahead of this) ready to do a full new cabinet update.

I've seen some amazing suggestions come from this forum and I would hate to miss an opportunity to improve some flow and/or function. We are using an Amish custom cabinet builder, so anything is possible.

The Amish cabinet maker is coming over Tuesday and we have a fairly tight time frame to firm up a plan to fit my installers availability. I'm second guessing just going with what we have, more or less, so I look forward to any insight.

What I am looking to change:

I hate the little shelves near the window. I want to lose those and have a larger window above the sink. The kitchen faces north and I would like as much light as possible as well as take in more of the view of my back yard swimming pool.

I want to possibly consider doing away with pantry closet next to refrigerator and turn it into pantry cabinetry. Currently things get shoved in there and lost. It's dark and too deep to pile up deep shelves without losing more things.

I would love a larger aisle space between stove and island...BUT- flooring does not go under island, and we were hoping not to re-do floors. :(

I am getting a proper range hood and looking to re-locate microwave next to refrigerator, unless someone can see a better location.

Kitchen desk is useless and a magnet for clutter. I would like to do something different over here, but other than putting full cabinetry underneath and making it counter height, I have no ideas.

What I must keep:

Island seating for 4 people. I want to keep walnut island top, but the overhang on the one side is 16" and I could stand to tweak it smaller if I wanted to gain aisle space between the sink and island. I do love that my chairs push all the way in now.

Here is a fairly accurate layout with some dimensions. My ceilings are 9ft. We plan to have cabinets to the ceiling which will increase my storage space somewhat.

Here are photos of my existing kitchen.

Comments (17)