SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
picoazores

Pineapple plants on Pico island (Azores)

PicoAzores
7 years ago

They say they only grow pineapples on São Miguel island (Azores). I'm not a local and not a knowitall, but I have pineapple plants growing wild inside the forest under canopy. It does not fruit though, but if I cut the trees around it to let the Sun in, who knows. Also, I planted a São Miguel ananas (pineapple) purchased from the local supermarket after eating it and it grows from top that I cut, in a pot outside of my house 365 days a year and it does fine. After it grows bigger I will plant it in the ground. On Pico you bust the solid rock making a huge hole in it, fill with compost mixed with purchased soil and grow things that way - very expensive indeed and labour intensive. I think there are people on Pico island growing pineapples in a greenhouse, but not for commerce. That's what I am trying to do, to grow some Sãomiguelense-Picoense pineapples for myself and for my friends and neighbours. If you don't know, Pico is the second largest island in the Azores, abot 200 km west from São Miguel and has the tallest mountain in Portugal - Mt. Pico (about 2350m) from seal level and about 8 km from the sea floor. I tried to grow a Costarican pineapple from a top cut and it died. Yet Sãomiguelense one does really well here (in a pot so far). This thread is all about pineapples on Pico and related to São Miguelense pineapples.

Comments (9)