SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
htrinh

Room design: Front loading washer/dryer placed on ground or pedestal?

htrinh
7 years ago

We just finished a remodel and I now have a laundry room! Now I'm trying to set it up and need to figure out how to put in some cabinets. This has me wondering has anyone put their washer and dryer up on pedestals and regretted it? Or placed them on the floor after having them on pedestals and regretted it? I like having them lifted up but if I put them back on the ground it may make that room feel bigger.

Here's what my laundry room looks like... (please ignore them mess). I want to do away with the brown shelving unit, move the cat litter to either the corner where the shelving unit is or move it to the other side of the upright freezer (where a laundry basket sits for dirty clothes found on the main floor). A small utility sink is currently beside the washer.

As for the placement of the cabinets, I can do one between the washer and the wall beside it. It's about 47" inches and would allow for a sink and small counter space, leaving the wall beneath the window open. Or, I've thought about doing this...

In either case, shelving will go above the washer and dryer and counter right beside it.

I don't do folding in the laundry room but I do have little kids clothes/shoes that need to be cleaned of in the sink or hung up to dry until they can be washed. Or miscellaneous cleaning up that I don't want to do in the kitchen sink, like cleaning paint brushes.

So I'd appreciate thoughts on design and experience with the washer/dryer placement!

Comments (14)