SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garyz8bpnw

Any luck growing Giant Himalayan Lily seeds?

garyz8bpnw
7 years ago

I really wanted to grow the magnificent Giant Himalayan Lily (Cardiocrium giganteum) for years. If interested, I finally found out is it is not hard to do.

Turns put the age of the seeds can have a huge effect on germination rate. My first two attempts failed to grow outside or inside the next the spring from supposedly "fresh" seed. So I finally two two local potted bulb sources nearby and picked up 3 one gallon pots. I lucked out and got two different varieties! However, I still wanted a patch growing and seed is the most economical way to do it.

Turns out C. giganteum seed has a very short shelf life. It essentially must be planted the same fall/winter it is produced (I'm not sure it can be dried much either). It is used to getting a natural straification outside, which I assume is essential. It must further grow within the seed coat that next spring before it germinates. While buried in the soil, or at the soil surface, it must grow a shoot downwards to plant a tiny bulb zone. Then it must send a shoot upwards from the bulb area to make the first aerial above soil leaf. The leaf expands to gain sun energy. Over time a hosta like plant leaf clump forms. After a few years the now giant pineapple sized bulb, bolts upperwards like a century plant. It blooms casting more seed, casts a few juvenile offset bulbs, and the original mother bulb dies.

Consider all the places to fail growing C. giganteum seed indeed with standard production trays.

I got hundreds of seeds to germinate from a bulb planted plant that bloomed. I casting them community style onto good potting soil in 4" pots. I lightly covered the seed with 1/8" soil then uniformly mixed the soil surface down to 1/4", so that all depths and seed orientations were present within the pots. These were placed in pot racks on the ground in a shady location. I then kept them moist, cast slug bait, and weeded. The 2nd spring a couple dozen 1" tall little grass like leaves popped up in all 48 pots. And the unprepared ground where I cast excess seed to the which which had gained mositure also should light hungry Cardiocrinun leaves. We have two varieties that bloomed and were seeded this both. Both germinated and grew similarly.

Those large seed capsules produce a lot of seed which was differently colored between the two variety cultivars I had. Having so many seeds tempts to store them.

Cardiocrium giganteum v. giganteum @ 9' (max ~14')

Cardiocrium giganteum v. Yunnanensis a 9.5' (max ~12')

In spring, bolting fast upwards towards flowering. C. giganteum has beautiful glossy leaves that start growing in Feb from a huge 12" leaf bud.

I've cast much 10-10-10 pelleted slow release fertilizer to support tbis heavy feeder.

Takes big flower stems to support that height and head of large fragrant flowers!

Comments (2)