SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rezan_gw

Growing Gymea Lilies from seeds

rezan
16 years ago

Hi there,

I have not posted here for a while so I thought i try again. I saw some huge gymea lilies flowers at my university today and thought it would be wonderful to grow them from seeds. So I bought some seeds on ebay and I am interested to do it. I need to ask some questions as I am clueless to grow them;

1. I will be using regular potting mix i bought at garden R us and i will plant the seeds in a small pot with standing water tray. I will then put in under 40W bulb for 6-8 weeks at nite and daytime near my kitchen window with some sunlight. Is this ok? Is using water crystals safe on them as I would like not to water them so often?

2. Once the seed has sprouted and outgrown the pot, can I transplant them to bigger pot? i know some plants do not like transplanting?

3. Can I use regular plant fertilizer 1x/month on it?

4. How long for it to grow like in the picture below;

http://www.rkm.com.au/PHOTOS/AUSTRALIAN-NATIVE-PLANTS/Doryanthes-excelsa/index.html

5. Any tips to grow them?

6. I read somewhere that the root can be made into a cake? How to do it this and what is the minimum age of the plant needed to do this?

7. Any medicinal values of growing this plant?

8. Any more type of plants which grow as tall as this species?

9. what are the common pest that will attack this plant and how can I protect them? I mean like insectide or chemicals to protect them?

I hope someone can advise me on growing successfully this plant?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions