SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snowbob11

Lawn fungus problem

snowbob11
7 years ago

Hello, Iv'e been looking at this forum for a while and have a question I was hoping I could get some advice about. I have a corner lot lawn that has a large ash tree at one side. The tree gives several hours of shade to different parts of over 3/4 of the lawn every day. There is however one strip about 12-14' wide and 25' long that gets full sun for the whole day. Starting about the last week of may/first week of june In the center of this area that gets full sun, for the last 3 years it has develops large brown areas that start to join together and the grass dies off fully in these areas. I have done a bunch of research and looked at lots of pics and I am almost 100% sure it's brown patch. The grass dies only in the sunny areas. There is not one blade that turns brown in the shadier areas. In late summer the grass has stopped dying and starts to slightly green up some. I end up over seeding the dead areas and it looks great for the fall and great for the next spring. Then the processes starts over again. I am thinking about using a fungicide this year as I don't want to go another year with the grass dying. the problem is I live in Southern Ontario, Canada and there is bans on what you can buy here for fungicides and weed killers and what not. One that I can get is beyer fungus control. I was wondering it anyone had used this and had any good results. I also want to fix the problem that is causing this so i'm going to do a soil test this spring and see what the results show.

For some history on the lawn so you can get a better idea here you go. Around 6 years ago I round-uped the hole lawn and planted scotts sun/shade mix grass seed (in the late summer) which is a mix of KBG/creeping red fescue/rye grass. I apply scotts fertilizer 4-5 times a year and usually over seed thin areas every late summer. After the last mowing of the year I apply scotts winter care which contains higher amounts of nitrogen. I keep the lawn on a deep infrequent watering schedule about 1" from 1-2 waterings a week. I mow the lawn at a 4" height. One thing I might be doing wrong is my fertilizing in the spring. There is usually a few dead spots after the snow melts and I seed them when it warms up enough to do so and apply scotts starter fertilizer to the hole lawn at this time. Then around 4 weeks later I put down the regular scotts fertilizer which has a nitrogen number of 30 on the bag. I don't know if maybe I should be using a lower nitrogen fertilizer as this is about the end of may that I put the fertilizer down and then the brown patches develop soon after. I don't want to go another year with dead grass in this spot as the rest of the grass looks very good. Any help you can give would be appreciated. I know it's winter and it's months before I need to deal with this problem but figured i'd get a early head start on looking into taking care of this. Sorry I don't have pics, and sorry for the long post.

thanks

Comments (4)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES