SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
primdawg

Ventless dryer or combo unit?

Sorry for the long setup, here is my situation. We've bought a true log cabin in the mountains, just over an hour north of us. I added the true log descriptor as it makes a difference in being able to do renovations, specifically cutting a hole to add a vent for new dryer location.

We don't live there now, but are planning on retiring up there in the next year or two. The property has a main house with a standard laundry set up and a detached garage with an apartment above. Currently we are going up for weekends and such and are stripping beds and bringing all linens and towels to wash and dry and take back next visit. Kind of a pain. However, we don't want to buy a new set just to end up with a complete set we won't need when we sell this place.

Our hope is to offer the apartment over the garage as a vacation rental. A second way to wash and dry over in that building would be a bonus. The problem being there is really not a space for it in the apartment so it would need to go down in a closet off the garage. Good news is we have water and power right there but no way to vent without a huge expense of designing a way to vent from an interior closet and cutting through the actual log walls which is generally frowned upon. So I was thinking of going with a ventless unit. I could put it in the existing laundry room for now and then when we move up there permanently I could have it moved over to the detached garage and could be used just for the sheets and such for the little apartment and have our main units do the heavy lifting.

The closet in the garage is only 42 inches wide so I'd have to do a stackable ventless or a combo unit, no room for a side by side there. I kind of like the idea of being able to toss the load of sheets in and not having to go back and forth to move to a dryer since I won't be in a big hurry.

Thoughts?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor