SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pluto1415

Shelf paper/liner options

We are moving into a house that was built in 1959. The Hall closet shelving is simply a bunch of 1x10 boards that rest on 1x2 boards screwed into the sides. I don't have an issue with the closet, it's actually huge (and the entrance to the attic is in the ceiling of it) - but the boards are unfinished and therefore dusty and splintery (is that a word?). I hesitate to put towels or sheets on anything that could tear them up or get them dirty. I wanted to remove each shelf board and wrap them in either heavy weight wrapping paper or freezer paper, then put them back in, that way it's not to expensive and can be replaced easily - but my husband insists that we really should be using shelf paper/contact paper. I don't want anything sticky - and wonder if it would even stick to 50 year old unfinished wood.

I'd love to hear what everyone else does - but it seems the only people who comment on putting down shelf liner are doing it on brand new construction in their kitchen where the boards are already finished. Anyone here actually living in an older house that hasn't been completely updated?

Comments (20)