Your opinion: meryll streeps speech at the Golden Globes tonight
9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (137)
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Discussions
Wanna talk Golden Globe dresses?
Comments (13)I didn't mean to suggest that I liked Nicole Kidman's dress; actually, I thought it was too much. I rarely like Versace, I think. Suzieque, I know what you mean about Nicole. She's really beautiful, but sometimes she looks so artificial and a little scary. She's probably had some "work" done (her lips, definitely), but part of it may be her own anxiety. Just guessing here. But I remember an interview (after her divorce) in which she said she had no sexual confidence. She didn't always look like this. When she first came on the scene with Tom Cruise she looked so fresh and happy, and she spoke on talk shows in a free and easy manner. Something changed. Pammyfay, I missed the first part of the show. Diane Ladd's reaction would have been nice to see. I didn't see Andie MacDowell's daughter either. Would have liked to. George? He was stunning. :-) But you know what? I find Morgan Freeman just as appealing. He's hardly as conventionally handsome . . . but it just shows that personality and character do have something to do with chemical attraction. Sometimes. LOL...See MoreGolden Globe Awards
Comments (12)So glad to see Sandra Bullock win...didn't think she would stand a chance against precious. Didn't see Precious. I hope it comes to a local theater before the Academy Awards, but thought Sandra did an amazing job in Blind Side....See MoreThe Kite Runner by K. Hosseini
Comments (69)Cindy, I found the article. I won't post the whole thing, but here are some highlights: For "The Kite Runner," though, filmmakers have placed a huge wager on authenticity. They are betting, among other things, that audiences can be persuaded to sit still through two-plus hours of subtitled plot development - something moviegoers have become more accustomed to lately, thanks to studio films like "Apocalypto," "Letters From Iwo Jima" and "Babel," all of which unfold completely or largely in languages other than English. About the cast, it says: The search for a cast proved even more challenging. The streets of Kashgar, teaming with bearded men and women in burkas might fool the eye into thinking one is seeing Kabul. But dialect cannot be finessed so easily, and the producers needed to find a Dari- speaking cast once the decision was made to film in the original language. Homayoun Ershadi, a 59-year-old Iranian actor who played the lead in "Taste of Cherry," which was one of the winners of the Palme d'Or at the 1997 Cannes Film Festival, was recruited from Tehran to play the role of Baba, the father of the principal character, Amir. Khalid Abdalla, a British actor of Egyptian extraction who starred in "United 93," plays Amir as an adult. He traveled to Kabul to learn Dari in a crash effort that left a deep impression on the author, Hosseini, who spent time on the set here, and on all of the native speakers involved in the film. And Shaun Toub, the Iranian- born actor who appeared in the movie "Crash," appears as Rahim Khan, Baba's close friend and a mentor to Amir....See MoreActors who define the literary characters they portray
Comments (98)I found this site by accident, looking up the spelling of Andre Gromeko's name---what a pleasure! My two cents are: Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter? Not if you 've read the books, I say. I don't think Daniel gets even close to the character that Rowling conceived. Nor does the child who plays Hermione. The Ron Weasley actor, though, I think is the best of the three. Someone from England asked if we Americans notice the accent issues in movies. Remember Meryl Streep and Robert Redford in Out of Africa? Streep, as usual with her wonderful ear for accents, maintained her British personna throughout. Redford, on the other hand, started out with a semblance of an accent, but this deteriorated quickly until he just seemed to sort of give up, and just spoke pure American. If you want to hear an amazing accent, watch Tommorow, a movie starring Robert Duvall. He takes on a backwoods accent and voice that are just astonishing. I agree with those who say that watching the movie after reading the book can be disappointing. Now and then, there are some movie makers who captured the real nature and tone and voice of the book, and even if they have to cut a lot, it doesn't lose the feel of the book. One such, I think, was Prince of Tides. The movie left out probably 2/3s of the book, and Barbra Streisand, with her self-beloved long fingernails, wasn't the ideal psychiatrist. But nevertheless, the movie, i thought, captured the tone of the book very well. I agree that Glenda JAckson was one of the best Queen Elizabehts, and that Maggie Smith absolutely is Miss Brodie. Also that Richard Harris was a wonderful Professor Dumbledore, while Michael Gambon--who is a terrific actor; see The Singing Detective and The Butcher, the Thief, His Wife and her Lover--is just not the kindly, deep, thoughtful Dumbledore at all. Another case of one wondering What the Director Was Thinking....See More- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Stories

HOUZZ TOURSHouzz Tour: A Mindfully Built Coastal Retreat in California
Ancient Indian building principles inform a 70-acre family haven on the Central Coast
Full Story
sephia_wa