SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
graywings123

The Oscars last night

graywings123
14 years ago

I watched the first 45 minutes or so, but the highlight for me was the Whoopi Goldberg commercial for Poise pads. Hilarious! It looks as if she has done several of them and they strung them together for the Oscars commercial.

Here is the site - click on the right hand side

Here is a link that might be useful: Whoopi Poise commercials

Comments (72)

• lowspark
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I agree about SJ Parker - her dress just hung on her, giving her an unattractive shapeless look. Looked like she drove to the Oscars in a convertible LOL - perfect description!

I didn't think about it before but I agree with Auntjen regarding Miley Cyrus not belonging. And IMO her dress looked like she'd forgotten the top part of her skirt. I mean it looked like she was wearing a bra/foundation and skirt. Not only ugly, but totally not age appropriate. Great example for teenage girls. Not.

Here is a link that might be useful: miley cyrus

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

AJ- I almost choked when I saw your post! I think it actually looks better on Drac!

• Related Discussions

Had BIG plans for Oscar Night, but

Q

Comments (18)
    Kathleen, Thank you for going to all that trouble. Please pass my thanks on to Susan as well. Turns out I have a couple of those plastic light reels! Never thought about converting them to Oscar decor. Only need to get a can of black paint. May already have a partially used one out in the garage. I liked the creator's idea of passing out boas to the woman and black ties to the men. One year I used pastel T-shirts with a bunch of old rhinestone jewelry for the woman and tux T-shirts for the men. Too expensive. I think the boa and bow tie idea is much more sensible and every bit as effective. Now my mind is made up. I'm giving a little Oscar Party next year. Again, thank you for going the extra mile. I've saved the pictures and notes from the blog as well as the pictures mo13 posted here.
    ...See More

My Sweet Cat Oscar Died Last Night

Q

Comments (55)
    We buried Oscar last night as the sun was setting. We thought about his life with us and the other pets that are also buried in that area, 2 dogs, 1 cat and 3 ducks. I mentioned to Ron about planting something there as one of you suggested and I think we will plant a Lilac bush. Today I just feel kind of numb and heavy. In the midst of my grief I am dealing with a number of other problems at work and with my health. Maybe that is why Oscar's death seems all the more heavy for me now. I'm so grateful for the pictures I have of him, and all the wishes from you all. Bless you all today. I feel like your messages are really easing my burden. Thank you again. Sue
    ...See More

My Night Blooming Cereus opened last night.

Q

Comments (16)
    Darlene, I been growing two varieties in 6b for 8-10 years, they come in when the last orchids come in for the winter, they're both out for the summer as of this weekend. I usually get blooms indoors and out. About every 5 years I have to start new plants from cuttings because the older plants are getting too large, I ditch them once the new ones establish. Why do you feel you can't grow them? Bob
    ...See More

Oscar fashions

Q

Comments (37)
    I don't watch the Oscars but did scroll through some of the highlights to see what folks were talking about. Some beautiful outfits and some big fails. One thing that I always notice (and it's almost a decor thing) is why the designers/stylists/starts don't take the color of the red carpet into account when they choose an outfit's color. Some of those dresses just clashed so horribly with the color red of the carpet in the photos.
    ...See More
  • OllieJane
    14 years ago

Too funny - I agree about SJP! She is a prime example if you are over forty, you need a little meat on your bones. It makes her look older, IMO. Now, if she would just get rid of that wart on her face-that is the only thing my eyes focus on when I see her in a movie.

I LOVED Sandra Bullock's hair and gown. She is so striking.

• natal
    14 years ago

Now, if she would just get rid of that wart on her face...

It was a mole and she had it removed a while ago.

• lowspark
    14 years ago

Speaking of getting old and needing some meat on your bones, that reminds me of James Cameron's wife. During their red carpet interview, it was almost horrifying to see her arms and other exposed parts the dress she was wearing accentuated. I felt sort of sorry for her -- did she look in the mirror once she put that dress on?

• graywings123
    Original Author
    14 years ago

And speaking of wives, Jeff Bridge's wife of 30+ years looked great.

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

You beat me to it lowspark. I just looked up Cameron's latest wife. She is Suzy Amis and is only 48! I thought that she looked about 60. She needs to eat something

{{gwi:1499345}}

• marlene_2007
    14 years ago

I think Suzy Amis' face is beautiful....and if that's what 60 looks like, I should only look so good (yes, I know she's 48).

To me, she looks like she weight trains. She has great deltoids. I do think she looks thin but I'm built exactly as she and trust me, it's not from lack of eating.

With regard to Sarah Jessica Parker's mole...are you kidding me...she is being criticized for having a mole on her face? No wonder people have self-image issues.

• Sueb20
    14 years ago

Every time I see someone that looks that thin on TV, I remember the camera adds 10 lbs. and can't imagine how skinny they must be IRL. I agree with Terriks that Cameron's wife looks too thin.

We watched the first part of the show on our friends' big huge TV and Sarah Jessica Parker's face was such a strange color, I couldn't figure out if the color settings were off on the TV or it was just a bad makeup job. Normally I think she looks good, but not last night.

I also noticed that they forgot Farah Fawcett! That was kind of strange, I thought.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Oh these poor people that have these terrible self-image problems. Poor SJP and Suzy Amis, I bet they didn't sleep a wink last night, bless their little hearts. And they didn't even have any jewelry on, gads. Has Harry Winston died or something. Oh, that's right it's very vogue this season to drop the gaudy jewelry, whew. For a minute I thought Joan Rivers and that freaky looking daughter Melissa could be hot on their trail. Poor darlinks!

I wouldn't lose any sleep over them Marlene, truly.

Simply....Jane

• marlene_2007
    14 years ago

Newdawn, I think Harry Winston did die, many years ago, but the last I looked, his Beverly Hills location is still alive and well on Rodeo Drive.

I don't think you got my point or perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

I think criticizing anyone for having a mole, whether it be a celebrity or a "regular" person is a bit shallow. That's just my opinion.

As far as celebrities go, I grew up with them, had them as friends and lived among them for the first 51 years of my life. They're just normal people who are overpaid. Some are really wonderful, some are not...just like everyone else....but they ARE people who have real feelings and are not immune to some of the cruel things said about them.

And I promise not to lose any sleep tonight. I don't have any Harry Winston, but I've got plenty of Cartier.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Oh Marlene for goodness sakes I know they are people. I enjoy movies as well as the next guy.

My younger sister lived in Beverly Hills for years and she knew several people on television shows, they're human and I know they have feelings.

Didn't know Winston died but glad to hear you are sporting Cartier.

.....Jane

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

I noticed they didn't mention Farah, too.

I also think James Cameron's wife looks older then 48. She is too thin and I think she would look better with darker hair.

• marlene_2007
    14 years ago

newdawn...

I just checked in to post a post to my post. I really was a bit *itchy. I wanted to apologize.

Where did your sister live? That's my hometown!

• neetsiepie
    14 years ago

Did you catch Queen Latifa? What a beautiful look for her. That dress was very, very flattering on her.

I agree 100% about Miley Cyrus. That kid is a train wreck waiting to happen and had NO business on the show. The other girl who was with her on stage, no idea who she was, but she looked a lot more age appropriate than MC.

SJP...fashionista...fashion victim. Too bad. She tends to dress to a different designer, but this one was waaay off the mark.

I also thought James Cameron's wife looked terrible. When he was married to Linda Hamilton, she got to looking like that too...maybe it's his *thing*? Katryn Bigalow sure showed both of them up!

I too LOVED Inglourious Basterds. Thought that fellow stole the film...he was awesome. Haven't seen any of the others, yet. Will probably end up watching The Blind Side and Precious. Don't think I have a desire to see Up in the Air or Invictus...and I'll not see Avatar for a variety of reasons (1: 3D makes me dizzy, 2: not a big CGI fan, 3: James Cameron). I think DH is going to watch Hurt Locker tonight, but I'll pass. I heard them talking about it on OPB and I think it'll be graphic for me. We currently have one nephew in Afghanistan and several other family members in Iraq, I'm not ready for a film about this war.

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

I just think that it's sad that so many of these celebrities feel that they have to be sooo thin that they do look positively anorexic.
    When I saw Suzy Amis on my TV screen I truly thought that there might be something wrong with her.

• flyingflower
    14 years ago

The funniest comment I heard on TV about Sarah Jessica Parker's hair was from a hair stylist who said that bun on the back of her head made her look like the Elephant Man!

This is the first I've seen of James Cameron's wife. That dress is not flatering to her boney frame. She looks like emaciated Rachel Zoe.

I figured they didn't mention Farah,etc because this is the Screen actor's guild that is voting, doesn't that exclude television? Were all her movies TV movies or did she appear in a feature film? I can't remember. Seems like it would be more appropriate to remember her at the Emmy's. I don't watch that award show so I'm just guessing. The memorial had a lot of behind-the-scene people most of us have never heard of so it wasn't that interesting.

I thought Martin & Baldwin very were funny together but what was that bed scene all about??? I didn't get the point of that skit.

• flyingflower
    14 years ago

auntjen....Before I read your comment I looked at the photo. I thought that was Glenn Close!!

• marlene_2007
    14 years ago

Terriks, I agree that some of these celebrities have a need to be too thin (and to be honest, each time I see that pick of Suzy, it does make me uneasy...I do think her face is very pretty...but she does look terribly thin).

The media is just so relentless in their criticism. Do you remember Karen Carpenter? She was always on the plump (and adorable) side and the media was relentless. She did become anorexic and died from heart failure. So very sad...and all because she didn't want to be "plump" anymore.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

No apology nessary Marlene, I promise. I've been an absolute b--ch today, and that is not me. So if anyone should do any apologizing, it's probably me.

My sister lived on Gayle Drive, right off Wilshire. She lived in one of those big pink numbers, which I called early Joan Crawford. It was gorgous, but she just rented, but even so. And also, she lived in West Hollywood on Larrabee right off of San Monica Blvd., in the oldest house there. Gosh that place was cold, but it was a little cottage type house and the city wasn't allowed to tear it down because it was on the historial registor. She still wishes she lived there, but she went home to Michigan and hates it.

....Jane

• marlene_2007
    14 years ago

Jane, I just gotta tell you...I'm two years older than you...almost to the day...so maybe our moods are aligned...I really miss my broom today!

Yes! I know exactly where your sister lived. It's funny...I always hated living there....always..I never understood why anyone would want to live there...but no one ever understood why I didn't. DH still lives there...maybe that's why he's still DH!

• natal
    14 years ago

Farrah Fawcett and Bea Arthur both starred in films.

"Although Fawcett and Arthur were best known for their work on TV - Fawcett in "Charlies Angels" and movies like "The Burning Bed" and Arthur in "The Golden Girls" and "Maude" - both had notable film careers.

Fawcett starred in movies such as "The Cannonball Run" (1981), "Extremities" (1986) - for which she was nominated for a Golden Globe award for best actress in a drama - and later, Oscar-nominated film "The Apostle" (1997).

Arthur starred in "Lovers and Other Strangers" (1970), which was nominated for 3 Oscars, as well as the big screen version of "Mame" (1974), among others.

The Associated Press reported last week that the segment was running too long.

"It gets close to agonizing by the end," Bruce Davis, executive director of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, told the AP. "You are dropping people who the public knows. It's just not comfortable."

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

I'm shocked. Suzy Amis is about my age ...

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

I couldn't believe Farah was left out of the Memorium, but obviously, someone didn't do their homework. Was Jean Simmons mentioned~she died in Jan. It might be a better idea if that portion of the Oscars were dropped to avoid slighting anyone.

I thought the majority of the dresses were very classy this year, with the exception of the young lady with the *deep* V almost down to her navel. Somehow I missed seeing Miss Cyrus, but I can live. I love Sandra Bullock, and it's about time she's had a movie worthy of a Oscar! She looked gorgeous and the dress was a knock-out.

Marlene, I can easily understand why you left BH! DD lived on South Elm Dr, and although I loved going up to do a bit of shopping, I hated the rudeness of many of the people. I always thought of it as a whole different way of life, further from any existence I ever knew. I'm in Austin, TX now(came from San Diego),and can hardly stand it I love it so much!! ;o)

• bestyears
    14 years ago

Here's another picture of James Cameron and Suzy Amis -at the premier of The Hurt Locker -so that couldn't be very long ago, right? She has lost a lot of weight since then. It almost looks as if she may be ill.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I had not seen Suzy Amis up close...and I'm shocked too. She looks like a cadaver.
    I agree about the jewelry...I like seeing it and even gorgeous dresses look better to me with big earrings or a great necklace. Definitely minimal this year.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Marlene we are both Pisces, and that tells me your sweet, so there. (lol)

Nighty Night Ya'll!

• OllieJane
    14 years ago

Glad to know that about SJP's mole! I always felt she had everything going for her, sweet, great body, great hair and then there was that darned mole. If that makes me shallow, so be it.

• lowspark
    14 years ago

She's 48??!!!! I figured she was easily in her 60s. I'm sorry but she does look old and frail. You almost can't tell from the pictures but if you can find a video of the red carpet interview, you can see as she moves her arms about, the skin just hanging off her bones. She does not look like she excercises those arms, she looks like she lost a lot of weight due to illness. I'm sorry but she looks like she's been starved.

In that picture bestyears linked to, I think a lot of that is hidden by her clothing (better choice) and long hair. I still see that thinness in her arms though, it's just not as prominent.

What irks me most about them leaving off Farah Fawcett is the fact that they did see fit to throw in that PR guy (I mentioned above). They gotta draw the line somewhere, I'll buy that. But looks to me like the line was pretty crooked. Can't they just say, "Oops, we're terribly sorry, we made a mistake" instead of making up lame excuses? Yuck. Hey! Academy, we figured out you messed up, so just own up!

Oh, and I agree about Queen Latifa's dress. When you see someone wearing something that is perfect for her, you can't understand why some of the others can't at least come close!

• Boopadaboo
    14 years ago

Thanks a lot Aunt Jen. I have been addicted to that gofugyourself site since you posted it! :)

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

There is something about Queen Latifa that I just love, I think she is genuine and personable. I would love to have a close friend like her to pal around with.

I agree with lowspark, that the academy just forgot about Farah Fawcett and that is sad. What a strong woman she was. Did ya'll see the documentary that her friend made about her cancer ordeal?

I remember several years ago when my boyfriend and I were watching the Oscars they forgot to mention a great actor that died.

My sister called me and said, I have two words "Don Knotts". They didn't mention him either and he was a great comedian.

Okay, I need to get back to real life. (lol)

....Jane

• tinam61
    14 years ago

With regard to Sarah Jessica Parker's mole...are you kidding me...she is being criticized for having a mole on her face? No wonder people have self-image issues. I thought that comment (and others) was a bit snarky myself. You know what? To be honest, I can't even remember her mole!

Re James Cameron's wife, I wonder if she could be ill? Another reason I'd hate to ever be in the limelight, you really are picked to death.

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

Here's a close-up of SJP in all her moley glory. Hey, I'm a moley girl myself, so am not about to cast stones! I'll be honest. My first inclination when I looked at this photo was to recoil slightly. But then I thought, hey - she looks like a real human being! Moles and wrinkles and gray hair and all! I think we've become so used to airbrushed, Photoshopped pictures of celebs/models that when we do see someone as they truly are, it's jarring. And I find that fact rather disturbing. When/why did we stop being real? Oh yeah ... when it became trendy not to ever age, and thus not to ever have to face the eventuality that awaits us all.
    {{gwi:1499346}}

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Queen Latifah really did look fabulous! And I totally agree that she seems like one of the most likable and fun people in Hollywood.

Penelope Cruz looked gorgeous, as always. Not only is she exquisitely beautiful, she selects and wears her clothes with WOW!

Cameron Diaz looked lovely -- but IMO, generic! She normally has such a 'natural' and quirky look. At the Oscars, she looked pretty much like every other beautiful actress...

• lowspark
    14 years ago

when it became trendy not to ever age, and thus not to ever have to face the eventuality that awaits us all.

Good point! I've seen more plastic looking faces lately than I care to remember. And sorry, it doesn't look like they didn't age. It looks like they aged and then had a face lift. And IMO it looks way worse than wrinkles. It's weird and unnatural looking.

Off the top of my head: Meg Ryan, Barbara Walters, Dick Clark (he's SCARY looking), Burt Reynolds.

I'm sure there are lots more. They have puffy plastic looking cheeks which don't move when the person smiles.

And I'll clarify about Suzy Amis - it's not wrinkles that make her look old, it's the way her skin hangs off her bones.

Newdawn, I agree about Queen Latifa. I'll bet she's a great and fun friend to have!

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

Very skinny or very fat, I admire people who put it out there for all to see ; they are who they are. I did not used to think like that, maturity ( and declining looks, lol ) changed me.

• lowspark
    14 years ago

I agree, they are who they are, skinny, fat or whatever. All I'm sayin' is that it's best to wear clothes that flatter your figure, no matter what it is. If you've got great curves, show them off! If you have too much poundage, don't wear stuff that's too tight with your fat overflowing. If you're too thin, don't wear clothes that mak you look even thinner.

Although I may have sounded like I was criticizing her for being too thin, my main point was meant to be that her dress was just not suited for her.

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

You almost can't tell from the pictures but if you can find a video of the red carpet interview, you can see as she moves her arms about, the skin just hanging off her bones

Yes, that's what I first noticed about her, she didn't look like she has much muscle tone, and her skin was very loose.

My daughter lives in the West Hollywood area now, and she just loves it there. It helps that her job is about a mile away, and there is lots for her to do within walking distance. And she is young, so it's a good time in her life to enjoy the area. I do worry about her becoming obsessesed about her weight, but she likes cupcakes too much to become anorexic!

• teacats
    14 years ago

My personal pick for "Best Dressed" was Helen Mirren. Gorgeous!

She has remarkable taste! :)

Jan

• teacats
    14 years ago

Worst Dressed: Sig. (don't remember how to spell her name) Weaver. That one-shoulder red dress did not suit her coloring (she should have worn "Avatar" blue or green LOL!) And it was NOT well-tailored to her figure!

I notice that so many of the dresses are poorly tailored and many (even the most gorgeous) have prominent puckered seams.

Jan

• marlene_2007
    14 years ago

Terriks, I only saw a still pic of Suzy. That is very sad about the skin hanging. I googled a pic and she had (as in past tense) really muscular arms. As boney looking as I was, I never had hanging skin (except when I do those push ups, my jowls hit the ground before anything else).

I didn't know your daughter was an "L.A" girl. I agree that at her age, it can be a great place. I had a lot of fun there in my twenties....I just don't care for the L.A. environment (seriously, the weather...nothing to do with the people. I am much happier in Oregon.

Tina61, yes, my comments to Jane were snarky and embarrassing and I regretted them as soon as I hit "send" and I apologized to her. Jane is a real sweetie pie and my comments were stupid and uncalled for. With regard to the mole comment, my snarkiness stands. It was my opinion.

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

Marlene, how did I miss that you are an Oregonian? Me too! I'm in southern Oregon, are you up north?

• marlene_2007
    14 years ago

Terriks, I live in Lake Oswego, just minutes from downtown Portland. I'm only 15 minutes from Canyon Hoops!! I met the owners when I bought my smaller one. Very lovely people. I told them about you and how you've got us all hooked (or shall I say "hooped").

• johnmari
    14 years ago

I didn't watch a whole lot of it, maybe half an hour or so - I get bored easily with awards shows, they're just public m@sturb@tion AFAIC - but WHAT was it with the one-shoulder thing this year? Seemed like every third woman had on a one-shoulder dress (and most of them not particularly flattering). I thought there were quite a few "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" ;-) gowns in the part I saw. Zoe Saldana's purple fluffy number with the train - which reminded me of the crepe paper carnations that we all made in kindergarten for Mother's Day - and when she and that other woman in a black similarly-overdone thing (I think it was Carey Mulligan?) went down to the mike to present an award neither one could even walk in their gowns. Molly Ringwald's stylist should have been slapped for letting her out of the dressing room in that flappy purple thing. Lot of "fleshtone" dresses this year too, which was a little creepy.

I did think Meryl Streep's gown was simultaneously age-appropriate and very elegant. I also enjoyed watching her laugh so many times, she looked like she has a really infectious, hearty laugh instead of the typical Hollywood titter. Mo'Nique looked sharp too, I thought - making absolutely no apologies for her size and I dug the diagonal pleating pattern. At first I was kind of "huh?" about the hair ornament but I decided I liked it.

• leahcate
    14 years ago

* Posted by auntjen (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 8, 10 at 22:56

I'm shocked. Suzy Amis is about my age ...
    Well, that really puts in perspective for me. I can easily visualize a pic of AJ on here a year or so ago: healthy, glowing, and looking a good 10-15 years younger than poor Suzie who looks 60...no wait! I'm 60(ish:>) and my skin doesn't look like that. Maybe it's just a case of people aging differenly , but this look anorexic to me.

• graywings123
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is possible to be very thin and yet healthy. You see it in runners a lot. Mary Tyler Moore comes to mind - she keeps herself very trim to prevent secondary problems from her diabetes.

I agree that stick figures can be unattractive to look at - I would like to run around the red carpet with cardigan sweaters for a lot of the over-exposed.

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

Two days ago after reading this thread I googled Suzy Amis and got your usual run of the mill bio and images. Today I started to type "Suzie Amis" and google's auto search suggestion feature added on the terms "sick" and "anexoric" and then a bunch of hits from past couple days cropped up. Apparently her appearance has caused a lot of buzz and search activity. I hope it's not a serious illness.

Anyone remember a little movie called Fandango? One of Kevin Costner's very early films before he became known. (He was an attention grabber in that one, pretty clear he would probably be going places.) Great movie, has some hilarious stuff in it (especially the skydiving incident). If you haven't seen it, rent it! Here's a B&W face shot of her much the same as she looked back then. She was a really pretty girl in that movie, don't want to spoil anything so will be vague, but the final scene (where the movie takes its title from) was touching.

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

LOL! Well, I hope I look at least 10 years younger than someone who looks 60, considering I'm only 47. ;-D But I appreciate the kind words, Leahcate. I agree with Graywings that very thin people can be extremely healthy. Runners are an excellent example. People who are stick-thin and healthy have a vibrant glow though, and somehow Suzy has lost hers. She was certainly attractive when she was younger.

• leahcate
    14 years ago

Oops! Well,that didn't come out quite right. After your post I just got an instant image of a pic you posted and the comparison to SA, who is your (:>O!!!) age, is astonishing! Putting it in perspective: if she looks 48 then YOU look 28!

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

I did think Meryl Streep's gown was simultaneously age-appropriate and very elegant.

I agree, she looked lovely.

I would like to run around the red carpet with cardigan sweaters for a lot of the over-exposed.

LOL! Maybe someone needs to start a sweater rental business at the Oscars.