SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amyjj58

Looking for layout ideas - new addition on 1920s house - blank slate

Amy J
7 years ago

We are putting an addition on our mostly untouched 1920s house. Trying to stay consistent with the style while making it functional for a modern family of 5. I am not a gourmet cook, but enjoy making a nice meal on the weekends, and may have more time for this in the future as kids get older.

You can see what I have for existing kitchen space as the hatched line is the existing wall. It is pretty small! I love that our dining room is the most used room in the house. All meals are eaten here and kids do their homework here. Dining room and kitchen are currently separated with a swinging door that is open all of the time except during holiday meals. We are contemplating removing the door and enlarging the opening, maybe to 5 feet, not sure. Don't want to open it too much as I want to keep the character of the dining room, and keep it as a separate room.

The North and West walls are both interior and cannot be moved at all. I have drawn in the proposed new South and East walls - this is as big as we can go. Wondering how (if) you would suggest enlarging the doorway to the dining room. And how you would suggest laying out appliances / functional areas? Obviously I want windows, as it is extremely dark in there currently. I also really want a pantry (something I don't have now). We are contemplating a beverage station, but that could be in the dining room.

Our budget will be mid-high range. I want something I will be happy with for a long time as I plan to live in the house for 20+ yrs. Open to all suggestions at the moment - need to firm up our plans in next 3 - 4 months.

Thanks!

Comments (19)